Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-08-2023, 09:56 AM

Default It's time to replace the trailer bunks.

I am needing to replace the carpet on the bunks of my boat trailer. My plan is to get new lumber and carpet, build the new bunks at home and install them at the lake while the boat is moored.

Has anyone used any of the ‘plastic’ bunks or slides rather than continuing to use the traditional carpeted style? What brand and any reviews that you can share?

If I go the carpeted route does anyone have any suggestions?
I’m looking at the CE Smith carpet from Canadian Tire or Amazon. Is there a better option?
What’s a good glue for something that’s going to be wet a lot of the time?
Any tips are appreciated.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:18 AM

When I did them on my 19 ft Baylinner I just raised one side of a time with bottle jacks and removed one and recovered some new pressure treated 2x6s . Used no glue . First I tried stables but did not hold so good on spots over lapping on the bottom side so i used screws . I believe i just went to Homedepo back then and got them to cut 3 ft off a a bulk roll of out door carpet . Worked good for many years .
If you go on Iboats.com you will find more newer info what is out there .I believe they now have carpetless bunks.
Old 08-08-2023, 12:13 PM

I've swapped out to vinyl bunks on a lift and they work great only down side is they need to be submerged a little deeper compared to the carpeted ones as the vinyl grips instantly and there is little give as compared to the carpet which tends to be a bit more forgiving (depth isn't an issue for me, but if it is where you launch something to you may need to consider). I have an aluminum hull so I would think a fiberglass hull would be even less forgiving. The gripping is nice as it stops the boat cold when coming in whereas with the carpeted bunks the boat at times slid further than desired if coming in to hot or if the bunks where lowered to low (won't matter on a trailer as you'll hit the wench post).

The vinyl should last way longer and the vinyl doesn't retain any sand or grit as carpet does which are the 2 main reasons I replaced with vinyl but they cost quite a bit more.

Not sure if the added cost is worth it just yet, depends on how many years I get off of these vinyl bunks (probably won't be any help to you).

Neighbor has hard plastic strips on his fixed metal bunks on his boat trailer (came that way, larger fiberglass boat) he's had the boat/trailer for many years. Plastic strips still look like new. Boat glides on/off fairly easily. No sand or grit to worry about either.

Last edited by Penner; 08-08-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 04:30 PM

I replaced the carpet on my bunks 2 season's ago with the plastic and they are the best thing going. Boat slides off and especially in shallow launch area and very easy to load and best no tears in carpet.

I installed them right over top the existing carpet. Very easy install.

I picked mine up at amazon don't remember the cost but was not a huge amount. I tied my boat off at the dock and had pre-drilled every thing so it was less than 15 minutes and I was done. They came in 12 inch by a think
3 of 4 I don't remember but they are the same width as your bunk.

I am very happy I did it and think you will be also .
Old 08-09-2023, 04:26 PM

Excellent timing for this thread, I have to replace mine aswell. Never heard of carpetless bunks, but will look into it now - seems like a good idea. Thanks gents.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:59 PM

What Penner said. Keep those vinyl ones clean and they are deadly for not scratching boat and nice for loading heavy boats on a steeper incline.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:37 PM

https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/

Best I've seen. My dad did his trailer, will do mine soon.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/

Best I've seen. My dad did his trailer, will do mine soon.
Thanks for the link!
Old 08-10-2023, 10:25 AM

x2. Thanks for the link.

For any of the other guys that have gone to synthetic covers or boards, do you know the brands that you went with?
Old 08-10-2023, 12:31 PM

Just a comment, if you have an aluminum boat be aware that treated boards may react with the aluminum and cause corrosion.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-10-2023, 01:26 PM

Anyplace to get those bunk boards in Canada?
Old 08-10-2023, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Just a comment, if you have an aluminum boat be aware that treated boards may react with the aluminum and cause corrosion.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beat me to it ...... treated wood will cause issues with your Aluminum - even if the bunk is "covered" with carpet - so using regular wood is the way to go. Cheap and easy to replace. Good carpet is a must I think. Some of the cheap stuff lasts a few trips which is nothing but a waste of time and money.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_doornenbal View Post
Anyplace to get those bunk boards in Canada?
Ya I got a quote from them $789 for the boards $974.45 shipping and I'm assuming that's USD.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
Ya I got a quote from them $789 for the boards $974.45 shipping and I'm assuming that's USD.
Yeah ........... don't do that !!!!

Even on a high end boat it's literally 2x4 or 2x6 premium SPF lumber (the lumber I pulled off the original trailer that came with the new boat when I bought it 10 years ago)- the same lumber you buy at Home Depot ..... the carpet (good carpet) I think I paid around $100 for (West Marine Supply) ...... but I'm sure I was $160-170 all in to replace 4 2x6 bunks on my Shorelandr trailer a couple years back and they were as good as new.