Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2014, 04:08 PM

Default Can police do anything about reckless driving if they dont see it?

Coming home from Costco today and a lot of people in the right lane slowing down to exit on 52 ave so I slid over to the left lane to pass.
big honkin blue ford with Manitoba plates pulls up on my tail weaving, bobbing and making a fuss. No where to go as right lane was full of traffic and I was doing the limit as it was.

As an opening comes up in right lane and I can pull over blue ford veers sharply into right lane to pass me on right and when just slightly ahead of my front bumper pulls back into left lane effectively causing me to swerve to avoid hitting his rear quarter panel. Got the plate number before he dodged off south on 68th avenue giving me the finger as I passed.

Pleasant folks! Wonder if this road rage is common in Manitoba but I have never seen a more dangerous stunt and rude behavior in almost 50 years of driving.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:11 PM
Gone Hunting

I would have reported an impaired driver immediately when it happened. When they catch up to him, if he isn't obviuosly impaired, I'm sure his mouth will get him what he should get.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Banned

Without proof by video and/or witnesses it's your word against his.
BTDT.
Cops are more interested in giving seat belt violation tickets anyway
Old 04-12-2014, 05:01 PM

Default yeah but

It happened at 12:40 and my wife called and texted my son for the Calgary police telephone number(was still in city limits) or even RCMP to report it just after it happened (I don't have the police on speed dial on my cell). He didn't pick up the message and respond until 1 PM when we were pulling into the driveway at the farm.

I filed a traffic incident report with CPS on line and provided the plate number but I suppose not much can be done.

My wife was a witness and is sure if they had done it to her it would have been a whole different ending to the story.
I guess when he pulled into the right lane to pass I anticipated a douche bag move so was probably expecting him to pull in front of me and slow down but not cut me off. Defensive driving does pay dividends.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
Without proof by video and/or witnesses it's your word against his.
BTDT.
Cops are more interested in giving seat belt violation tickets anyway
Untrue.
Every time I've called in erratic driving or suspect driving practice got a response. Actually had to be a witness in court a couple times.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Banned

Cool

Multiple calls on the same car get them looking. 3-4four folks call on the same guy will get lights flashing.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Report it, I have reported the same and although its your word against his, the cop will visit the guy and give him a warning. Alot of time the cop calle back and let me know he talked to the guy
Old 04-12-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I would have reported an impaired driver immediately when it happened. When they catch up to him, if he isn't obviuosly impaired, I'm sure his mouth will get him what he should get.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^

This one and use 911
Old 04-12-2014, 05:43 PM

Police can lay a charge based on witness evidence. Most charges arise due to crime being witnessed by people and then being called in to police.

While I can't speak for CPS (though I've heard that it might be a challenge getting them to pursue a traffic complaint), I know the Mounties will lay a charge if you as the witness wish to follow through. You'd likely be requested to write up a statement detailing what you saw and how it impacted you and other motorists around you.

Sounds like your incident took place in city limits so CPS it is.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
It happened at 12:40 and my wife called and texted my son for the Calgary police telephone number(was still in city limits) or even RCMP to report it just after it happened (I don't have the police on speed dial on my cell). He didn't pick up the message and respond until 1 PM when we were pulling into the driveway at the farm.

I filed a traffic incident report with CPS on line and provided the plate number but I suppose not much can be done.

My wife was a witness and is sure if they had done it to her it would have been a whole different ending to the story.
I guess when he pulled into the right lane to pass I anticipated a douche bag move so was probably expecting him to pull in front of me and slow down but not cut me off. Defensive driving does pay dividends.
Won't do any good, I had someone cut me off when I was pulling my trailer with my truck. I had to go up on the curb with my trailer to avoid them clipping my front drivers side quarter panel. Talked with the CPS and they were wanting to blame me. Frustrating but not worth the time to report.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:31 PM

If you are willing to go to court and testify, then yes.

I have been down this road. Witnessed some old geezer sob driving like a complete lunatic in a whiteout snowstorm. Seriously some of the most dangerous idiotic driving I have ever witnessed (and I have witnessed a lot).

I called it in, got a call back from the LEO and told him I would testify. In the end, he charged the old dick with some minor BS charge because he thought I wouldn't bother to show up for the court case.

He pled out when he found out the witness (me) had shown up for court and was ready to testify. $100 fine and fine months to pay.... Sure glad I gave up $800 in work to be there.

What a joke.

I should add that watching the pecker-head cry and blubber in front of the judge like 5 year old who had his hand smacked, and having him refer to me as "that lying bastard" made it damn near worth it.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:00 AM

It is worth it to report it. Call 911. I've done it before. You will be asked if you are willing to testify in court. You and your wife can each give statements about what you saw. We have done the same thing. If you can't identify the driver the police can charge the registered owner of the vehicle. Often this isn't the first time. It is worth it just so these drivers realize they can't blatantly disregard the safety of others on the road.
I've also been on the other side. I was driving my silver dodge truck one day pulling an Eqt trailer. I got stopped by a sheriff. He accused me of speeding and cutting off traffic. It wasn't me. It took a few minutes but the sheriff finally let me go saying the other driver wasn't willing to press charges. I was annoyed but realized they were trying to do their job. it's very likely there was more than one silver ram pulling a trailer on highway 43 that day.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:17 AM

I have to wonder if reporting texting & talking on phones would be worth reporting. I see it at all the time, and I always think about the people who have died because of it.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:50 AM

I call in all dangerous driving. The less info, the less likely anything will become of it. I did learn long ago though, that in responding to a perceived danger, you often become one yourself via the distraction. Think of all the other drivers when you are working up a steam, engaging the 'violator', or exacting revenge. It's often best to give the violator room and let them be on their way.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:06 PM

Default wasnt much steam to work up

After swerving to avoid hitting the donkey there was nothing for me to do but follow him so my wife could record plate accurately.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:33 PM

I have been seeing signs lately near many Calgary intersections advertising $99 dashcams.
Would that have helped?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:02 PM

Angry Idiot Drivers

See lots of erratic driving on the inland island hwy - could probably call in several drivers every day. Over the years driving the highway I have only made one report. Big F350 right on my tail - so close all I could see is grill. Once he got a chance he blew my doors off, and those of everyone else on the road. Although I could not identify the driver, I did have the correct plate, and was willing to attend court.

Investigating officer tracked down the vehicle. Turns out it was a company vehicle, and the owner was not pleased. Apparently it was the second complaint about the vehicle and driver in a two week time period. When the driver returned back to the company yard that night, he was sent to the unemployment line. Company / vehicle owner fired his ass right on the spot.

So although the driver did not get a ticket, he did lose his job. Sometimes justice works in different ways.

Mr Conservation
Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Coming home from Costco today and a lot of people in the right lane slowing down to exit on 52 ave so I slid over to the left lane to pass.
big honkin blue ford with Manitoba plates pulls up on my tail weaving, bobbing and making a fuss. No where to go as right lane was full of traffic and I was doing the limit as it was.

As an opening comes up in right lane and I can pull over blue ford veers sharply into right lane to pass me on right and when just slightly ahead of my front bumper pulls back into left lane effectively causing me to swerve to avoid hitting his rear quarter panel. Got the plate number before he dodged off south on 68th avenue giving me the finger as I passed.

Pleasant folks! Wonder if this road rage is common in Manitoba but I have never seen a more dangerous stunt and rude behavior in almost 50 years of driving.
You are reporting someone with out of province plates. The police will not do anything about it.

They could follow the procedure to look up the driver information and give a phone call. That is really about it. The driver can just deny the allegations. It will then become a he said/she said dispute.

The police could issue a ticket on a third party statement, however be prepared to go to court. There is a high probability that this will be withdrawn as your statement/testimony will not be bullet proof.

Be prepared though, it is very difficult to get the police to act on anything like this.

You should look at purchasing a dash cam. It would eliminate all doubt and would prove your innocence in the event of a collision. It would also validate your story when filing a statement.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I've reported *******es as suspected drunk drivers a couple of times. The cops seem to take getting drunks off the road kind of seriously.

Like you said, Redfrog, if they're not actually impaired, their mouths probably do the trick anyway.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:39 AM

Day in court not so bad. Pay your mileage, pay meal. Work should cover it as you are legally obligated to attend.
Who knows might be a exciting docket while you're waiting.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:54 AM

I see this all the time on hwy 2 daily. The bottom line is everyone is a hurry to get somewhere fast. Most the time cops just watch it go on. But a different note how many people on here speed? If so are you really any different. Breaking the law speeding is still dangerous driving
Old 12-03-2018, 10:43 PM

Dashcam rules. A very helpful thing sometimes.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dash cam I guess but meatheads are all over the place, put them close together and you will see a sheeeet show.....followed a welder or wanna be welder home, dodge dually, yup, wasn't black was grey but it persisted to swerve etc on roads that were slippery.....was hoping he would end titz up in the ditch but my wishes didn't come true......oh well it will catch up on ya.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-04-2018, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
If you are willing to go to court and testify, then yes.

I have been down this road. Witnessed some old geezer sob driving like a complete lunatic in a whiteout snowstorm. Seriously some of the most dangerous idiotic driving I have ever witnessed (and I have witnessed a lot).

I called it in, got a call back from the LEO and told him I would testify. In the end, he charged the old dick with some minor BS charge because he thought I wouldn't bother to show up for the court case.

He pled out when he found out the witness (me) had shown up for court and was ready to testify. $100 fine and fine months to pay.... Sure glad I gave up $800 in work to be there.

What a joke.

I should add that watching the pecker-head cry and blubber in front of the judge like 5 year old who had his hand smacked, and having him refer to me as "that lying bastard" made it damn near worth it.
What a joke you say....meh....you got good entertainment front row.

Better then spending it on oiler tickets....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-04-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Done this more than once. The last retard passed me going very fast in a school zone right in front of the school with kids everywhere. Caught him at the next light.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:55 PM

Talking

Dash cam is a good investment .. .
Old 12-04-2018, 05:29 PM

Witnessed a very serious road rage incident on the Yellowhead near Edmonton about 6 or 7 years ago. One truck was trying to run another truck off the road MULTIPLE times. Smoke and dust everywhere from swerving off and onto the highway.

Everyone else was so freaked out, we slowed down and backed off as it was getting very ugly and someone was going to get killed. A third truck got into the mix and tried to help the woman who was the victim and it didn't help much as the crazy driving continued for TEN minutes!

We finally get to the city and by this time they had all gone their separate ways. I still had a visual on the idiot that started the whole thing so I caught up to him and tried to get a picture of his license plate, he didn't suspect I was watching him. I was still shaking from what I saw and in the end the picture was blurry.

Spoke to a friend of mine who is a cop and he said GET ME THAT PLATE NUMBER. I worked with a graphic artist of mine to try and clear the picture up. We ended up with 5 out 6 six letters/numbers. Gave what we had to the cop and we worked together guessing the last digit as it was either a 0, 8, 3 , 6, or a 9. Once the year/make/model and the drivers description matched up, he tried calling the guy for two weeks. Now I recognized the plate number and found that I had written this plate down a few months before for aggressive driving that I never did report!

The guy would never answer the phone and finally my buddy left him a message that basically said: This time it's a phone call, next time its a knock at the door!"

I used to have that plate number memorized and I never saw that truck again so I sure hope he learned some kind of lesson.