Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 02:54 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
Check out articles by Craig Boddington. The 8mm is a favourite of his. If I recall corectly he had load data in some articles
We imported his LH BDL 8mm several years ago for a Canadian friend of his. It was 'cool' to see the rifle I'd seen in quite a few articles. - Clay
Old 01-26-2021, 03:21 PM

I will get the rifle built but was concerned over barrel length as the chambering is somewhat overbore. I would prefer a 26" barrel so I will start a search for a barrel blank that will finish at 26". From a very limited search yesterday it appears that I may be limited as to who can readily supply a 8mm barrel blank. I looked at Benchmark's website and 8mm is not listed as an available standard rifling. I might have to place a special order. It was not in my original post but I already have a couple of boxes of factory ammo and a limited quantity of new unprimed brass. Thanks for the replies so far and anybody else that can contribute your thought please do so.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:50 PM

Back in the day the neighbor would shoot elk off his back forty with either a 7mmSharp and Hart or a 8mm Rem mag.
two odd balls I thought.
But boy that 8 hammered them.
Believed he used Nosler Partitions.

Made me wish for a 338 Win.
Upgraded that thought and bought a 375 Ouch & Ouch
Old 01-26-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athabasca1 View Post
I will get the rifle built but was concerned over barrel length as the chambering is somewhat overbore. I would prefer a 26" barrel so I will start a search for a barrel blank that will finish at 26". From a very limited search yesterday it appears that I may be limited as to who can readily supply a 8mm barrel blank. I looked at Benchmark's website and 8mm is not listed as an available standard rifling. I might have to place a special order. It was not in my original post but I already have a couple of boxes of factory ammo and a limited quantity of new unprimed brass. Thanks for the replies so far and anybody else that can contribute your thought please do so.

Check with KS Arms in edmonton. Carl and Mike make their own barrels, I am pretty sure he could set you up with a 26" in 8mm. They will also mount and chamber if you like. Great work, reasonable prices, fantastic barrels.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:50 PM

Great foundation for a7mmstw down the road
Old 01-28-2021, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet River View Post
We imported his LH BDL 8mm several years ago for a Canadian friend of his. It was 'cool' to see the rifle I'd seen in quite a few articles. - Clay
I’m guessing it went to his friend db
Old 01-28-2021, 12:40 PM

Default Update

I talked to Mike at KS Arms yesterday and the great news is they will build a ss barrel and will also do the complete build at a reasonable price.

I need to talk to them when I drop my components off as the discussion on the barrel was only ss 10T finished at 26" yesterday. We never discussed barrel contour yesterday. Mike also said they will use either my Remington 700 action or the Stiller TAC 300 action and either my HS Precision stock or my Manners stock, my choice.

Right now I am leaning towards my HS Precision Pro Series stock as the Manners stock is a MCS T2 (somewhat a tactical stock) but does not differ much from some of Manners hunting line of stocks.

I have a couple of pounds of RL22 and one pound of IMR 4831 and one box of Nosler 200 gr PT bullets. I will see if I can source more IMR 4831, some more Nosler 200 gr PT, maybe some AB in 200gr. I will also look online at what Barnes offers in their TSX and TTSX line of bullets. Thanks for all the contributed help so far.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athabasca1 View Post
I talked to Mike at KS Arms yesterday and the great news is they will build a ss barrel and will also do the complete build at a reasonable price.

I need to talk to them when I drop my components off as the discussion on the barrel was only ss 10T finished at 26" yesterday. We never discussed barrel contour yesterday. Mike also said they will use either my Remington 700 action or the Stiller TAC 300 action and either my HS Precision stock or my Manners stock, my choice.

Right now I am leaning towards my HS Precision Pro Series stock as the Manners stock is a MCS T2 (somewhat a tactical stock) but does not differ much from some of Manners hunting line of stocks.

I have a couple of pounds of RL22 and one pound of IMR 4831 and one box of Nosler 200 gr PT bullets. I will see if I can source more IMR 4831, some more Nosler 200 gr PT, maybe some AB in 200gr. I will also look online at what Barnes offers in their TSX and TTSX line of bullets. Thanks for all the contributed help so far.
The only TTSX is a 160... that could / would be zippy!

I would likely try the 180 or 200 TSX, though any of them would be excellent at reasonable range.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:06 PM

While Mike is making those orders, I understand it’s his brother Patrick making the centrefire barrels. Pretty sure Karl is doing more of the rimfire stuff. Not sure about the actions.
Would love to get a rifle from them. They do great work

That 8mm rem mag would be a dandy big game rifle!
Old 01-28-2021, 08:13 PM

Yes, KS does great work. I have another in there right now for a high gloss chrome moly with brake, cap and Express sights. They are one of the few places, at least locally, that still do high gloss bluing of chrome Moly barrels.