Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2023, 09:04 PM

Default Lake Newell

My wife and I were lucky enough to get drawn for Walleye at Lake Newell. We have never fished there before. I was wondering if anyone has had success there and if so, what worked?
Old 07-21-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt Boss View Post
My wife and I were lucky enough to get drawn for Walleye at Lake Newell. We have never fished there before. I was wondering if anyone has had success there and if so, what worked?
we had tags last year . we caught ours on bottom bouncers and spinner rigs . same as any other lake find drop offs etc . enjoy the good eats . the fish can be very large like 10 lbs plus.
Old 07-24-2023, 06:47 PM

We were there yesterday, I have never seen the lake this low. Launch was easy, had to drop both sets of wheels off the end of the the ramp to retrieve.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-24-2023, 09:46 PM

Man, there was 3 nice gents there with a drop-dead gorgeous Thunder Jet. Wish I could have chatted with them a bit more, what a boat! Ahem, they were pulling it with a Dodge so they were at least half right.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
We were there yesterday, I have never seen the lake this low. Launch was easy, had to drop both sets of wheels off the end of the the ramp to retrieve.
I was a bit concerned about the water depth. We're heading to Kinbrook to camp but wanting to fish "Little Newell", where we usually ice fish but not sure how the levels will be. Might take the canoe for an evening paddle but most likely shore fishing iif its even possible with these levels. Definitely curious to see it for myself anyhow!
Old 08-01-2023, 02:41 PM

Lake Newell is currently at 55% of its capacity, and surface water temp is in the mid 80's.

Make your own judgements, but I will be staying away from the Lake Newell and the other reservoirs that are well below capacity for the time being.
Old 08-01-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy45 View Post
Lake Newell is currently at 55% of its capacity, and surface water temp is in the mid 80's.

Make your own judgements, but I will be staying away from the Lake Newell and the other reservoirs that are well below capacity for the time being.
wow! Thanks Adam... really appreciate it. That is going to be BRUTAL for finding fish.
Old 08-01-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I was a bit concerned about the water depth. We're heading to Kinbrook to camp but wanting to fish "Little Newell", where we usually ice fish but not sure how the levels will be. Might take the canoe for an evening paddle but most likely shore fishing iif its even possible with these levels. Definitely curious to see it for myself anyhow!
I'd guess it was more than 55% full when we were there, but I've heard the EID has full intention of irrigating as much as necessary. Please update when you get back, might have to head north. Thanks

Old 08-01-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I'd guess it was more than 55% full when we were there, but I've heard the EID has full intention of irrigating as much as necessary. Please update when you get back, might have to head north. Thanks
We're thinking about cancelling our campsite now. Our whole reason for going was to fish, but sounds like southern AB is a mess. I'm so sad... Ha ha.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:25 PM

Any update for Newell or Travers launch conditions would be great. I plan on boating this weekend!
Old 08-01-2023, 09:37 PM

Was there on Saturday. Back rollers on the trailer we’re half submerged at the end of the ramp. Boat rolled off fine. Had to use trolling motor to get out of the boat launch area due to some large boulders about 10’ out. Had to winch the boat back on the trailer when leaving. Was heavy but possible. Didn’t try to go into the long S.W. arm. Looked like I could walk across at the entrance. All in all fishing was slow but managed about a dozen pike. Nothing big. Probably won’t go back until winter…..unless the water comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2023, 09:43 PM

Ps. I didn’t test running the trailer off of the ramp. There appeared to be a drop off of at least 12”. Saw one guy run his trailer off of it and he was fine. Probably scarred up the frame a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2023, 09:13 AM

https://rivers.alberta.ca/

All you need to know.
Old 08-03-2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy45 View Post
https://rivers.alberta.ca/

All you need to know.

Not really. I know I can launch at a bunch of those places with water in the 60% range. I don't know if I can launch at those places with the water in the 50% range.

For example at St Mary's there is about a 40' difference in the water level from 98% full to 50% full. At newell there only appears to be about a 4' water level difference between 98% full and 55% full.
Old 08-04-2023, 06:06 AM

May have to rethink my 2 weeks of camping there- grrr- is rolling hills any better?? Already replaced a lower leg this year not looking to spend that kind of money again…. 🤬
Old 08-04-2023, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
May have to rethink my 2 weeks of camping there- grrr- is rolling hills any better?? Already replaced a lower leg this year not looking to spend that kind of money again…. 🤬
Both of those Lakes have a lot of deeper water, you leg will be fine if you are careful. Rolling Hills has an awesome launch, quite steep. Just phone either place and ask.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-06-2023, 09:39 PM

Just got back from Lake Newell and no one is launching at the park. We launched at the resort and if you don't have a four wheel drive your not launching there either. We got the boat in but the water level to get to the main lake is sketchy with weeds right to the surface. Only way we got out was using the bow mount trolling motor and had to pull weeds off a few times on the way out and in.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:34 PM

The launch at the Prov Park is unuseable at Newell. I did manage to get my boat in and out of Travers but won't be doing it again this as I don't want to pry the trailer wheels off. I've lived in AB since 1977 and have never seen it like this before. It seems early to be shutting down but I am putting away my walleye gear.