Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-24-2023, 11:40 AM

Default Boat Suggestion

So I am hoping with the increase in interest rate and the return to normal that allot of people that didn’t fish or boat will go back to what they did before. Hopefully putting some lightly used boat forsale at a reasonable price. The kids and I like fishing and tubing, wife like water skiing. Never wake boarded or surfed. I’m looking for a boat that will check some of these boxes. I realize no boat will cover it all but and hoping for the basics to most stuff.
What suggestion do you have. A inboard it a deal breaker as it’s too much maintenance to winterized, unless that’s come along ways in simplicity.
Old 07-25-2023, 05:33 PM

Check facebook marketplace, there are some really nice boats out there, some are more reasonably priced than others and you may need to drive a bit to see them though.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:18 AM

Just a comment, if you (or your kids) are looking to wakesurf you will want an inboard with a direct drive to keep the surfer far away from the prop. I know some folks will do it behind an inboard with a leg on a boat that has a large swim platform, but I think that is quite risky.

It’s also hard to find a boat that does everything really well. I suggest you figure out what percentage of your time you will do each activity and use that to help select a boat that aligns with what your crew likes to do.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-04-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Just a comment, if you (or your kids) are looking to wakesurf you will want an inboard with a direct drive to keep the surfer far away from the prop. I know some folks will do it behind an inboard with a leg on a boat that has a large swim platform, but I think that is quite risky.

It’s also hard to find a boat that does everything really well. I suggest you figure out what percentage of your time you will do each activity and use that to help select a boat that aligns with what your crew likes to do.
Some good points, but I think if the OP is looking for a fishing boat and ski/play boat, a v drive inboard isn't great.

There are some really nice choices from Lund and Princecraft out there (outboards)- yes, they are premium boats, but buy once, cry once and enjoy the rock solid quality.

If you are safe and employ common sense (turn engine off) when skiers/tubers get close to swim ladder and climb up, the risk is mitigated. We do this all the time. That's why we find a place away from everyone, a little ways from traffic and ther shore and have never had any issues.
Old 08-05-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
So I am hoping with the increase in interest rate and the return to normal that allot of people that didn’t fish or boat will go back to what they did before. Hopefully putting some lightly used boat forsale at a reasonable price. The kids and I like fishing and tubing, wife like water skiing. Never wake boarded or surfed. I’m looking for a boat that will check some of these boxes. I realize no boat will cover it all but and hoping for the basics to most stuff.
What suggestion do you have. A inboard it a deal breaker as it’s too much maintenance to winterized, unless that’s come along ways in simplicity.

I was in this exact situation 8 years ago. We wanted a boat that would be able to do everything, waksurfing was pretty new to the me, but it wasn't for me. We discussed at length what to go with. Didn't want an inboard, seen too many cracked blocks over the years, and I wanted to be able to fish up to freeze up!

We searched and searched for a boat that could do most of it all. We almost bought a Lund crossover, but We ended up buying a 2010 Lund fisherman with a 150 mercury verado from a very good friend, for half the price. The kids end up waksurfing with someone else, but I use the boat for 8 months of the year (ten when I pull it to Pasco, WA. For Columbia river fishing). It is a workhorse and has done everything we have needed it to do. I suspect the crossover would do the exact same thing thing. We just didn't want to spend that kind of money at the time.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-06-2023, 10:22 AM

I have found a few boats that check the box for me. But when showing them to the wife see doesn’t want one that looks like a fishing boat. Google lead me to some deck boats. But a lot of google comes back with sea worthy vessels which is a little over kill for my needs.
Old 08-08-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I have found a few boats that check the box for me. But when showing them to the wife see doesn’t want one that looks like a fishing boat. Google lead me to some deck boats. But a lot of google comes back with sea worthy vessels which is a little over kill for my needs.
Seems to me like you need a new wife more than anything
Old 08-08-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:

If you are interested in deck boats, have a look at the Princecraft Ventura series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors