Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2018, 03:27 PM

Default Manitoba Caribou

Looks like the Caribou haven't come down again from Nunavut..... Lots of hunters there that paid for a pretty expensive fishing trip, but that's caribou hunting.... I'm sure glad they migrated down when I hunted there in 2013...It's great when they are there, and not so great when all you glass for a week is landscape. The outfitters there must be sweating bullets on what to do.. I believe this is 3 out of the last 4 years that the caribou haven't come down while the season was open.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:33 PM

I was there for year one of no caribou. It was very disappointing
Old 09-20-2018, 08:57 AM

When I go caribou hunting again it will be either in Nunavut (to hunt them before they migrate) or I'll hunt Mountain Caribou. Spending big bucks and having to depend on the migration is a crapshoot. I got lucky when I went, as I had mentioned. The only positive side of hunting in Manitoba is that with the caribou not coming down for 3 of the last 4 years, prices will not be going up.... If you're willing to gamble, you can probably book a hunt for a relatively reasonable price next year.... Just bring your fishing poles along in case the critters aren't there!!!
Old 09-20-2018, 09:50 AM

Prices didn’t go down this year. It sucks because there were a couple good outfitters in the area, had seriously considered booking that hunt myself. Doubt they will continue.

On a related note, anyone who wants to hunt caribou should do it sooner than later. The more-equals are pushing pretty hard to have licensed hunting shut down all across the north. Already happened in the Yukon (see the finlayson cancellation story)
Old 09-20-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Prices didn’t go down this year. It sucks because there were a couple good outfitters in the area, had seriously considered booking that hunt myself. Doubt they will continue.

On a related note, anyone who wants to hunt caribou should do it sooner than later. The more-equals are pushing pretty hard to have licensed hunting shut down all across the north. Already happened in the Yukon (see the finlayson cancellation story)
Also please be aware that not all mountain caribou hunts are created equally now either. Lots of areas have had their numbers go way down. Still a few good places to hunt in the Yukon and northern BC.
Our first Caribou hunt this year the hunter saw over a hundred cows and 28 bulls, unfortunately he never did find the bull he was looking for.
Hunter number two tagged out on a great bull 2 hours into day one. One more caribou hunter to go, hopefully they can find another stud bull.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Also please be aware that not all mountain caribou hunts are created equally now either. Lots of areas have had their numbers go way down. Still a few good places to hunt in the Yukon and northern BC.
Our first Caribou hunt this year the hunter saw over a hundred cows and 28 bulls, unfortunately he never did find the bull he was looking for.
Hunter number two tagged out on a great bull 2 hours into day one. One more caribou hunter to go, hopefully they can find another stud bull.
Where do you guide? What outfit? I'm looking at a hunt in the near future (gotta do one whilst I still can!).
Old 09-20-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonka2 View Post
Where do you guide? What outfit? I'm looking at a hunt in the near future (gotta do one whilst I still can!).
Liard River Outfitters in Northern BC along the Yukon border
Old 09-21-2018, 08:25 AM

Unfortunately I guided for 2 years out of that Lodge in Manitoba and the Caribou were always 50-60 miles north of there lots of unfilled tags and lots of ****y boat travel to get to where they were sounds like things have just gotten worse

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk