Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-24-2018, 10:01 AM

Default Looking for Trapline / JR partnership

Hey I'm pretty new here , so me and a friend both have our trapping courses and resident trapper licence , we have been trapping on private land around FT Assiniboine area , just looking at expanding to a real trapline we both grew up in the Area and know it well , looking for something in the area but could be within 2 hrs drive (edson , swan hills,whitecourt ext )both looking to be Jr partners but I'm not 100 Percent clear on that if 2 people can be Jr parters?
if anybody knows of anything let me know
Old 08-24-2018, 11:38 AM

i know a senior that has had up to 5 at once. was a 10 years ago but i know of no changes . should be good to go.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:20 AM

Default trapline

Latest info is Bio's asking you to justify why you would need more than 1-2 juniors on a line.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Latest info is Bio's asking you to justify why you would need more than 1-2 juniors on a line.
I just signed on 3 partners on my line, maybe it depends on which office your dealing with
Old 08-25-2018, 01:22 PM

I don’t think there is a limit that I am aware of. I sign 4 others onto my line. Most people are not that serious and just like to get out with there kids and set a few traps. One guy just traps a few beavers on a couple lakes. One guy catches a few marten, fisher, and weasels. One guy just runs 2 wolf baits. And one old timer sets a few marten boxes out from his pickup. Works good for everyone and as long as the senior holder of the line keeps track of what everyone is catching and not over harvesting then it should not be an issue. If I had a junior partner that was a real serious trapper that was taking alot of fur then he would be the only one I would sign on. I think if the senior holder of a trapline is not trapping that much themself they should sign on as many juniors on as the line can sustain. Give everyone an opportunity that shows interest in trapping. The more active trappers we have in Alberta the stronger the voice.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the great responses guys that answers my question , i agree as long as everyone is doing there part if you have a couple Jrs the line will be successful if anyone hears of anything in that area they can pm me and ill give you my phone number
Old 08-26-2018, 10:47 AM

Problem with some lines with lot of juniors, one trapper and 4-5 hunters with a nice cabin. One year ago line for sale near Ft Mac advertised cabin sleeps 8.
Running bears example is probably a positive situation with larger number of juniors.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
I don’t think there is a limit that I am aware of. I sign 4 others onto my line. Most people are not that serious and just like to get out with there kids and set a few traps. One guy just traps a few beavers on a couple lakes. One guy catches a few marten, fisher, and weasels. One guy just runs 2 wolf baits. And one old timer sets a few marten boxes out from his pickup. Works good for everyone and as long as the senior holder of the line keeps track of what everyone is catching and not over harvesting then it should not be an issue. If I had a junior partner that was a real serious trapper that was taking alot of fur then he would be the only one I would sign on. I think if the senior holder of a trapline is not trapping that much themself they should sign on as many juniors on as the line can sustain. Give everyone an opportunity that shows interest in trapping. The more active trappers we have in Alberta the stronger the voice.
That’s a great attitude!
Old 08-27-2018, 10:22 AM

I agree with Running Bear the more people out there trapping the stgronger the voice we will have to protect this age old tradition
Old 08-27-2018, 11:36 AM

Does anyone know if one person can be senior holder of two lines?
Old 08-27-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Does anyone know if one person can be senior holder of two lines?
Yes you can
Old 08-27-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
Yes you can
In the past yes . I talked to bio she said no more.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
In the past yes . I talked to bio she said no more.
Your talking to the wrong Bio it's still perfectly ok
Old 08-28-2018, 12:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
I have so much respect for people that think like you and walk the talk. So many people just don’t get it......sad. Well done, Sir.