Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
I catch you fishing with barbs when it becomes illegal again and I will toss your gear in the water. They will become illegal, mark my words.

What a mess this place is sometimes.....
Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post

x2
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post

Ya, when people come on here calling people Clowns then saying they will fish with barbs regardless of laws. Really is a mess.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Ya, when people come on here calling people Clowns then saying they will fish with barbs regardless of laws. Really is a mess.
So you're telling us that you have never came on here writing childish comments look on page 1 there's your proof lol like I said some people really take stuff to personally get over people will always break rules and by the way I don't fish with barbs unless I'm keeping which is rare and since the law has been changed I see no need to pinch.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:06 PM

Default Barbed hooks

I have a hard time believing that anyone would argue whether or not it is easier to release a fish unharmed with a barbless hook. Why do we need to blow a pile of money to study something so obvious!? I sunk a stinger hook deep into my trigger finger this weekend and can tell you that it was much easier to remove than when I had done this in the past with a barbed hook ! What a waste if time!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaayens View Post
Check out Scammell's January 17 Red Deer Advocate article on the barbless hook regulation... apparently it's gone for now. I've always hated this regulation because it was never based on science and shoved down our throats without any public consultation. I encourage everyone who shares my dislike of this regulation to follow Bob's advice.

"Why wait to be consulted about the need for a barbed hook ban? There is no rational or scientific need, and anglers should start making noise now to the head at the top of the government totem pole: The Honourable Alison Redford, Premier of Alberta, 307 Legislature Bldg., 10800 - 97th Ave., EDMONTON, AB T5K 2B7, or premier@gov.ab.ca.

Respectfully request that the government not re-enact the ban on barbed hooks in Alberta, because there is no scientific proof that it increases the survival rate of released fish - proven benefit being the only valid justification for coercive mandatory "usage" laws.

Democracy will be served: the majority will have been heard, the fish and the fishery will not be harmed and, since barbed hooks are not now mandatory, the Unbarbites remain free to practice their religion and all its rites, including pinching and filing down barbs until their eyeballs and fingers bleed."
don't suppose bright lights hurt fish much either,well maybe their eyeballs.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I catch you fishing with barbs when it becomes illegal again and I will toss your gear in the water. They will become illegal, mark my words.
Do that and ill throw you in to get my gear back.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Do that and ill throw you in to get my gear back.
Wouldn't count on it son.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Comments like this will produce alot of backlash
Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
The poster never said anything about fishing with barbs regardless of laws...

It is not against the law right now and I am sure if the law ever comes back, I assume he would not fish with barbs...Like other responsible fisherman
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't count on it son.
I'm fairly sure you don't intimidate anyone mutter. The tough guy is the quiet guy who doesn't feel the need to tell everyone how tough he is. You don't fit that category
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingd View Post
I'm fairly sure you don't intimidate anyone mutter. The tough guy is the quiet guy who doesn't feel the need to tell everyone how tough he is. You don't fit that category
That's not the way I meant to come across. He started calling people Clowns then the way I read it was he would fish barbed regardless of the laws.

As for "responsible" fisherman, look how many Cochroaches came clean about never debarbing in the first place. Sad state of affairs our fisheries is in.

That is why we need more rules and regulations, people don't use logic and common sense sometimes.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM

There are just so many good arguements on this thread I just can't make up my mind on whether I should use barbs or not. I just wish I knew if fish actually have feeling in their mouths. Can someone please provide me with scientific evidence showing that they do so I can make up my mind. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
That's not the way I meant to come across. He started calling people Clowns then the way I read it was he would fish barbed regardless of the laws.

As for "responsible" fisherman, look how many Cochroaches came clean about never debarbing in the first place. Sad state of affairs our fisheries is in.

That is why we need more rules and regulations, people don't use logic and common sense sometimes.
That's fine. That's your opinion and your entitled to it. Where is the common sense in throwing a guys gear in the water though?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
They have been unable to make that connection because there is no connection.

No data supports that barbless has a lower mortality rate than barbed.
One of them "feel good" laws IMHO, unless somebody can produce some strong facts, besides "stick it your hand" or "I can't remove them easy".
Kind of like ethanol in fuel, everybody feels good about themselves "saving the planet" even if it's less efficient, takes more fuel to produce then it "saves", makes people to replace small engines (and have manufacture them again) and so on.
Crowd doesn't care, makes everybody feel good and proud, no brain activity involved.

BTW I do debarb. Law may be stupid, but it's the law...
Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 PM

FYI - I have reasearched this topic carefully and there is alot of misinformation here from quite a few of you guys who are well liked and well respected on the forum.

Unless you are prepared to have data to back your arguement, your arguement is only an opinion, not a fact. Nevertheless, I respect your opinion.

On a previous thread where I posted data - (you can look it up if you like) - the FACT is ....

Many studies have been done comparing barbless hooks vs. barbed hooked. Some studies show a very slight decrease to mortality which falls well within the statistical error catagory - in other words these studies say there is "no difference". I'd say this was about 20% of the studies representing less than 5% of the data points.

Most studies show a lower mortality rate using barbless, these studies, for the overwhelming magority seem to have better sample sizes, better controlled variables and are much better in design. Some of these have staggering differences in mortality rates to suggest barbless makes a big difference. This was about 80% of the studies representing 95% of the data points.

NO STUDY I found suggested barbless is worse for the fish.

Would I say barbless makes a Huge difference?, ..... I'd say no, but I would say it's signifigant enough to impact mortality rates in fisheries.

I have seen only one data point, in one study, in hundreds, to tell me otherwise. This is also a study which, in design, wouldn't get a passing mark in a grade 9 science class.

The fact is, clearly, using data driven information and facts, barbless hooks do reduce mortality. period.

Everyone is entitiled to do what they want and I, personally, won't loose sleep over it. I'm cool with it.

I'm going barbless - that's my choice - big deal.

If you choose barbs - that's your choice - cool.

I just wanted to offer everyone some actual, real, facts so you are better armed to make your choice.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 PM

I don't pinch my barbs anymore. Legally, I don't have to and it's my choice.

It was always frustrating trying to jig with a piece of, or even a whole minnow on my lure and have the bait constantly slipping off my lure without barbs. I don't have that problem anymore. I also have more hook-sets on my tipups while icefishing with the barbs on my hooks. I am not finding that the hooks are tearing the fish up or that I am killing a bunch of fish because of the barbs. I am able to get barbed hooks out of fish easily enough without tearing them up.

BTW...The skin on a human arm is much different than the skin inside the mouth of a fish so that argument doesn't make much sense. Try putting a barbed hook and an unbarbed hook into a bowl of Jello and they will both come out just as easily. It proves a point but it's not a fair comparison now is it?

The best way to absolutely ensure that fish are not harmed in any way is to not catch them. For those who are overly concerned about hurting fish, stay at home and don't hook any fish.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM

Exclamation Save the Fishin Gear

Originally Posted by Mutter87

Save the gear and toss him in the water instead...oh-ya.........
Old 01-22-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
What happens to you when someone takes offense to you tossing their gear in the water? Will you be surprised when they lay the boots to you and toss you in the water?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM

When I used to fish, a long time ago, catch-and-release was a foreign concept. Oh yeah, it was around, but everybody I knew would catch them to eat them. Very few of the fish we caught, ever made it home with us. Usually they'd be in the fry-pan on the shore, before they quit twitching. Too many rules now.

I always thought that catching-and-releasing was a lot like eating-and-puking: You get to catch a fish, (or eat a meal), and then get rid of it? Nah, not for me.

Lol I can't wait for the flack coming off the keyboards for this one from the guys with no sense of humor. hahaha
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Using barbs makes you a weaker angler
Napoleon complex?

Quote:
Juice Monkey?

The size 14-22 hooks I use have no greater impact when barbed. More significantly, treble hooks cause measurable increases in mortality to small trout.

Measurable being the key word.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:54 PM

there is a proper technique to removing a barbed hook from skin also. there is a video on youtube i believe. i will find it and link it to this post...

here it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSm1BmnkB5c
Old 01-22-2013, 03:58 PM

What a bunch of dribble. Think this thread is destined for lockdown...
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post

What a bunch of dribble. Think this thread is destined for lockdown...
Sure is. Like clockwork.

Too bad we can't bring scientific evidence into the debate
Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM

It's a common sense thing...who is that lazy to take the 5 seconds it takes to pinch a barb just to land that extra fish...I can see going barbed if all you do is keep fish but if you do catch and release then why not take the extra time to pinch a barb
Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennich98 View Post
It's a common sense thing...who is that lazy to take the 5 seconds it takes to pinch a barb just to land that extra fish...I can see going barbed if all you do is keep fish but if you do catch and release then why not take the extra time to pinch a barb
Like BeeGuy mentioned earlier, what's the point of de-barbing a very small hook? It makes no difference when you remove it from a fish.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Like BeeGuy mentioned earlier, what's the point of de-barbing a very small hook? It makes no difference when you remove it from a fish.
Functionally, it may not make a difference.

Socially and culturally, you may find that the peer pressure within your fishing subgroup forces you to conform in order to maintain your subgroups self-appointed elite status.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
i got excited a couple weeks ago when i heard about this....then i tore the top lip off a perch trying to get my barbed hook out...i promptly pinched the barb.

each his own. Barbless for this guy. Reg or not.
x2... Barbless.

In my opinion barbless should be a reg, especially for people who have little to no experience handling fish. I have seen too many mouths and gills cut up from inexperienced fisherman and barbed hooks.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:29 PM

If the government/SRD is smart, they wont reinstate.

It is unpopular and hard to enforce. That in itself makes it useless.

And combined with little significant difference in mortality makes it an even more useless law.

Kinda reminds me of handgun laws, you can have it but we dont trust you to use it.

How many of you pro barbless guys use bait or fish in water over 25 feet deep? Guys on here and other threads talk of getting out deep hooks. Cmon!

What would be fair is anglers choice.

Educate the anglers on handling as well as other issues.

I guess I dont understand the thought process of anglers saying its easier on the fish when the angler has put the hook there in the first place. Is the next step protecting the fish no catch and release????????????????
Then no catch at all?

Get a grip people.

Make it a choice thing.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 01-22-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM

So we can use barbs now?