Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2011, 01:51 PM

Default $396,000

I need to catch me and sell just one of these fish.
I mean really people since when should a tuna be worth that kind of money?

A giant bluefin tuna fetched a record 32.49 million yen, or nearly $396,000, in Tokyo on Wednesday, in the first auction of the year at the world's largest wholesale fish market.
The price for the 754-pound (342-kilogram) tuna beat the previous record set in 2001 when a 445-pound (202-kilogram) fish sold for 20.2 million yen, a spokesman for Tsukiji market said.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:57 PM

Because we like our bluefin tuna sushi! Now you know what a stupid little roll costs $15.00.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:01 PM

Demand and supply. As long as there are enough people willing to pay for some very expensive sushi we will see these prices. You can bet only the most skilled chefs will be working on that treasure. That's pressure when your carving something that costs as much as a house!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:02 PM

i laugh when a store advertises premium grade ahi tuna............lol.......here in north america we get only the arsehole parts..the finest hits our docks for mere minutes and flies to japan first class and expediated
Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 PM

That's nothing! Some guy from, I think China, buy's truffles for millions of dollars and then doesn't even eat them! French mushroom that was sold last year.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
i laugh when a store advertises premium grade ahi tuna............lol.......here in north america we get only the arsehole parts..the finest hits our docks for mere minutes and flies to japan first class and expediated
Yeah but almost all us north americans like a little arse! lol!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Default sushi

Quote:
I pretty sure a resturant in Calagry got 1 of these last year I believe, it was worth 50000 or something like that.....
Old 01-05-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
I pretty sure a resturant in Calagry got 1 of these last year I believe, it was worth 50000 or something like that.....
maybe but i doubt it....if they did it was a fish that the japanese wholesaler refussed for some reason.
2 main factors
fish was stressed and meat became lower grade
or fat content was not high enough.
also we dont have a high class japanese resturaunt in cowtown....and edo didnt buy it lol
Old 01-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Gone Hunting

I'm not surprised. It costs nearly that much to get a decent walleye for the pan.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Go out to one of the "collapsed" lakes that have great walleye fishing and ZERO limit. Catch 754lbs of walleye and let us know what the cost is when F&W catch you! Probably be about the same cost from what I've read.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I'm not surprised. It costs nearly that much to get a decent walleye for the pan.
LOL. Good post!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:21 PM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

It is truly amazing to see these auctions. I have seen Tuna auction floors in Japan make the Barrett-Jackson Auction's look like penny pushers.
There will a room with one auctioneer, 20-50 buyers and 5-10 million dollars worth of Tuna.
You wonder why pepole even bother selling cocaine or heroine when you could just sell tuna.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:34 PM

you wonder why you see japanese fishing ships all along our waters! They rape the sea for everything they can get! Who do you thing wiped out the cod fishery off the coast of Newfoundland? They are doing the same to the Tuna, they will fish them till there is none left!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post
you wonder why you see japanese fishing ships all along our waters! They rape the sea for everything they can get! Who do you thing wiped out the cod fishery off the coast of Newfoundland? They are doing the same to the Tuna, they will fish them till there is none left!
sorry buddy your off course.
high grade tuna is caught by rod and reel by expert canadian fisherman.
then sold to japanese fish wholesalers many of which are canadian.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:15 PM

Default sushi

Quote:
maybe but i doubt it....if they did it was a fish that the japanese wholesaler refussed for some reason.
2 main factors
fish was stressed and meat became lower grade
or fat content was not high enough.
also we dont have a high class japanese resturaunt in cowtown....and edo didnt buy it lol

Sorry it was 25000 see post: http://test.calgarysun.com/news/albe...22176-sun.html
Old 01-05-2011, 03:18 PM

Thumbs down Pacific Ring Fishing

Quote:
sorry buddy your off course.
high grade tuna is caught by rod and reel by expert canadian fisherman.
then sold to japanese fish wholesalers many of which are canadian.
Those countries located in the pacific ring still fish the seas quite hard because there diet is mainly fish. They have started to look for other sources of fish due to over fishing there.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
good article thank you....he claims it to be toro grade....my apologies you are right..sorry
but i bet some heads rolled in japan when they found out one got away.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
Those countries located in the pacific ring still fish the seas quite hard because there diet is mainly fish.
im not argueing that....im saying ahi/toro grade tuna is not caught by japanese fishing vessels.....its caught by canadian rod and reel fisherman in small bosts, using planes to spot the tuna from the air.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:26 PM

Default sushi

Quote:
good article thank you....he claims it to be toro grade....my apologies you are right..sorry
but i bet some heads rolled in japan when they found out one got away.
No worries, I bet the restaurateurs are happy as s*** as the did not have to pay 396000, and there fish was 440 kgs..
Old 01-05-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
No worries, I bet the restaurateurs are happy as s*** as the did not have to pay 396000, and there fish was 440 kgs..
yuppers..lol...maybe its like what i saw at the superstore....i saw a wild spring salmon labelled and priced as a whitefish....someone maybe labelled that bugger wrong.
thanks again
Old 01-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
yuppers..lol...maybe its like what i saw at the superstore....i saw a wild spring salmon labelled and priced as a whitefish....someone maybe labelled that bugger wrong.
thanks again
Last year at home I saw supposed wild frozen salmon that was selling at almost 1/2 the price as "Alberta Frozen Whitefish". If it was wrong labelling, it was on all the fish in the ice bin and I couldn't figure that one.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:45 PM

the show i saw that they were catching tuna for asian markets , they spot a school from a plane and then the use two boats and a net enclosure and they coral the tuna live and then they travel with the enclosure towed behind the boat keeping the fish alive and they feed them while they are being transported and then they harvest them when they get to market...i cant remember what the dollar value was but those tuna were worth big bucks....
Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
the show i saw that they were catching tuna for asian markets , they spot a school from a plane and then the use two boats and a net enclosure and they coral the tuna live and then they travel with the enclosure towed behind the boat keeping the fish alive and they feed them while they are being transported and then they harvest them when they get to market...i cant remember what the dollar value was but those tuna were worth big bucks....
yup the aussies do that...interesting show.
but its not the toro grade tuna. toro grade tuna come from ice cold water and need to be of larger size to achieve the fat density in their flesh
Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Banned

cbc marketplace did a segment on the mislabeling
Mislabelling means rare fish sold: Marketplace

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/201...rketplace.html
Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 PM

people who haven't watched this movie should watch this
http://endoftheline.com/

The reason price of bluefin got so high is because they just simply can't find that much supply anymore.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:52 PM

Default Bluefin

Thought Id post a couple pics of a buddies bluefin he got 4 years ago, tied to the boat 1/2 hour before the end of the season. 828 pounds , dressed out at 670 pounds, headless and gutted. They were hoping for 15 bucks a pound dressed weight. Now theres my dream job. He fishes with rod and reel, no nets.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich