I hear Barbs doesn't stink
....I know it doesn't

LC
Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
....I know it doesn't

LC
Ha ha ok I'm done. I enjoyed the derail.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingd View Post
Ha ha ok I'm done. I enjoyed the derail.
LOL....welcome to the club Its fun ain't it

LC
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
LOL....welcome to the club Its fun ain't it

LC
Yes it is. Proud to be aboard.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
You equate logic with Environmental protection. What's wrong with preserving nature?
I eat nature. Simple as that. I don't waste and don't like being dictated to is all.

Now, when I'm fishing for fun or plan catch and release, I DO flatten the barbs. Some days (like lunchtime fishing) you are just out for fun.
I like to finesse the fish in lightly and find a lower mortality and less mouth damage than when I have to reef them is so they don't spit the hook. That's when I missed the barbs.
I think that responsible outdoors people can judge for themselves when to go barbed or not.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 PM

My buddie just went barbless. shes weird. a "chicken rescuer" whatever that means. she was gonna come out while we were ice fishing and run around blowing an air horn and smacking the ice with a shovel. So I'm all over fishing barbless. funny thread though. tough, funny, informed, not informed and never a dull moment. see you at the lake! if you see a crazy lady running around a pike derby banging a shovel and yelling about fish and chickens, thats barb!, shes actually really nice.

Last edited by Fish face; 01-22-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 PM

Default Barbed vs Barbeless

It's kinda cool that all of the fellows in the PRE BARBLESS era did not eradicate all of the fish in Alberta and left some for the barbless era, which think that is what will save all of the fish in AB. Now we have a discussion to which we have a decision if it is okay to fish with hooks that have barbs or not I'm quite sure the fish will still be here long after we are gone, regardless of what the non-barbed fisherpeople believe. To each his own, that is the law, and if the law changes then so be it, make of it what you can, but, DO NOT PUSH YOUR VIEWS ON OTHERS UNLESS YOU ARE THE LAW Just the way it is, get on with life, OR NOT:sign0176.

Oh by the way if anyone doesn't know fishhooks were made for catching fish and not people, most fishermen have that figured out by now, some will catch up eventually
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd05 View Post
A barbless hook greatly increases the chance that they fish you caught will survive.
Could you please reveal the source you've pulled this information from?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 PM

I'm kind of torn on this one. Since the law came in I have lost sooo many nice fish that I am pretty sure wouldn't have spit the bit and taken off with a barbed hook. However, I am quite thankful when the pike that falls solidly into the annoying size class nearly swallows my hook and I'm able to unhook them easily. The compromise that I've come up with is that on a treble I've been pinching two of the barbs and leaving one up. I figure that if the good Lord wants me to land a fish, then the 33% that has the potential to stick will find its mark. Other than that, they are going to be at least 66% easier to unhook and release.
In the mean time, I've also discovered that keeping fish on a barbless hook is something that requires skill. Landing a fish with three barbs stuck through it's face requires very little from the angler. I'm working at getting better at the fight. Hopefully one day I'll be proficient enough to squash all three of them flat, but I'd like it to be by my own choice not someone in Ottawa ordering it.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 PM

Hey AK-41

The source is Barry Mitchell's book "trout highway."

Barbed hooks are a for people who can't keep their line tight!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Thanks for the email contact, just sent a message out asking for the barbless ban to be reinstated.In the meantime the Government is asking us to go barbless.
http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/Reg...lessHooks.aspx
l sent a message in saying barbs are great , thanks for removing the barbless rule , thanks.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Using barbs makes you a weaker angler
No it dont , it makes you an angler going home with supper.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Banned

The government should use the scientific method to inform their F&W management decisions.

This would have them reviewing the use of trebles in areas with small trout, and ignoring the barb issue altogether.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:10 AM

Barbless all the way. I don't care what anyone says (other then fly fishermen using micro hooks) barbs do a lot more damage when removed 90% of the time. For those of you saying "I'll be using barbs as it increases my catch rate etc etc" learn how to fish and stop giving the fish slack line and letting it spit your hook lol. IMO fishing barbless takes more skill as their is less room for error however I do like the idea of allowing those under 16 to use barbs to get more kids hooked on fishing.

Another problem I have with barbed is what happens when you snap a fish off? I was out once and caught a fish...by the line it was on and it had a barbed hook so deep in its mouth I believe if i hadn't caught that line it would have been dead (unable to hunt as the line was around a tree or something), yes the hooks slowly rust out or w.e. but a barbless hook is going to fall out ALOT faster then a barbed hook will.

Last edited by Blairh; 01-24-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 AM

I have fished with barbs in Ontario for over 20 years and never had a problem. Most anglers that know what they are doing own a pair of nippex plyers to cut hooks that become throat lodged. This technique works with Pike and Musky especially. The fishery in Ontario and other barbed provinces hasn't been affected and studies have shown that there are no more post release fatalities than with barbless. I will be changing all of my hooks over to barbed (especially my pike baits) and hope I catch a fish a barbless angler has just lost this year.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Gone Hunting

Did you noticed that lots of Alberta trout fishing is PUT AND TAKE potholes.
If there is no size limit barbless makes no sense.
Catch and take should be only option there. Get your limit 1 fish or2 or3 go home.

Quite often fishing with kids I would have fish hooked on my line and than ask youngster to hold my road as I pretended that have to use washroom.
Watching surprised faces when line went tout priceless !!!

But barbless regulation took this away as most of the time fish will not stay on barbless hook and slackline.

I will be fishing with my granddaughter(2 in March) this year and it will be barbed hooks to help her bring in her first fish.

I have my own trout pond and kids are fishing barbed and deep hookups are for supper.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
People can't be trusted to make the right choice.
Da comrade!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM

Default Barbless

I witnessed F & W take a gentlemans fishing equipment down at the outflow by Hermatage park this summer on the NSR so im still leery he was caught using barbs and lost all his equipment, not worth it to me. Who knows. Every constable may have a different opinion on it is it really worth a fish or two to go to court and try to explain it?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairh View Post
Barbless all the way. I don't care what anyone says (other then fly fishermen using micro hooks) barbs do a lot more damage when removed 90% of the time.Wrong,please show where you got that from (little hole in little hole out) You really need to learn how to release fish if you do alot more damage just because of a barb. For those of you saying "I'll be using barbs as it increases my catch rate etc etc" learn how to fish and stop giving the fish slack line and letting it spit your hook lol. IMO fishing barbless takes more skill as their is less room for error however actually it doesnt require any more skill to land the fish, just the knowledge of keeping your line tight and problably a little dab of luck. A softer rod will help you accomplish that as well as using mono rather than no stretch superlines. I do like the idea of allowing those under 16 to use barbs to get more kids hooked on fishing.

Another problem I have with barbed is what happens when you snap a fish off? Use heavier line.I was out once and caught a fish...by the line it was on and it had a barbed hook so deep in its mouth I believe if i hadn't caught that line it would have been dead (unable to hunt as the line was around a tree or something),Unfortunate but it happens yes the hooks slowly rust out or w.e. but a barbless hook is going to fall out ALOT faster then a barbed hook will.

You dont care so I responded.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Banned

Mutter87, I got some fantastic news for you! you just try to take the law into your own hands, buckaroo, you'll be in the water faster than you can say spit! Just try to pull that on me and prepare for a fight!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM

Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinboldt View Post
I'm kind of torn on this one. Since the law came in I have lost sooo many nice fish that I am pretty sure wouldn't have spit the bit and taken off with a barbed hook. However, I am quite thankful when the pike that falls solidly into the annoying size class nearly swallows my hook and I'm able to unhook them easily. The compromise that I've come up with is that on a treble I've been pinching two of the barbs and leaving one up. I figure that if the good Lord wants me to land a fish, then the 33% that has the potential to stick will find its mark. Other than that, they are going to be at least 66% easier to unhook and release.
In the mean time, I've also discovered that keeping fish on a barbless hook is something that requires skill. Landing a fish with three barbs stuck through it's face requires very little from the angler. I'm working at getting better at the fight. Hopefully one day I'll be proficient enough to squash all three of them flat, but I'd like it to be by my own choice not someone in Ottawa ordering it.
Head to the west coast and catch some steelhead on a #2 barbless hook. That takes skill. Of course a 'tyee' class chinook in the river on a barbless hook requires just as much skill, but a different skill set. Both challenging and both very rewarding.

IMO, a steelhead on a barbed hook would not be as fun to catch, but it would be nice to throw a barb into them big springs so they make it to the fry pan, bbq, and smoker.

I fish barbless unless I forget to pinch a new hook. I'll pinch it down when I notice it which is usually when I have to try and finesse it out of some little dink or bait stealer.

Whatever the regulations are the bottom line is there needs to be more education, and more officers in the field. Until those two issues are addressed fisheries in this province will suffer. The degree in which they suffer is up to all of us anglers to decide.

my 2 cents on the subject.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM

F&w pulled up to me and a pal at the lake yesterday and ask to see are license as usual and never bothered for the first time in years to check are hooks for barbs. Never took notice to are homemade auto tip ups either.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Banned

Here's my two cents. I use both. If I'm fishing pike I will usually debarb my hooks mainly because the little buggers tend to try to inhale it and it makes it easier to get the hook out on a real deep hook set.

If I'm fishing with a tip up, I don't debarb as you aren't there to maintain line tension and I find personally I lose less fish.

If I'm fishing ling's or perch I do not debarb, same goes for trout or any small mouth species where you usually hook up in the corner of the mouth.

The only time I've ever had a problem with barbed hooks causing unnecessary damage to a fish is in the pike scenario, hence why I pinch my barbs when fishing for them. Even if I forget to pinch my barb though I've only rarely had a problem with removing hooks without hurting them to much. The trick is to have the proper gear and pliers and understand how to remove a barbed hook. You don't just clamp on vice grips and pull.

I've had a barbed hook stuck 1/2" into the back of my neck and taught a buddy how to remove it without doing any damage to me or inflicting much pain. The trick is to push down on the opposite side of the barb to form a sort of tunnel in the wound and pull it out while maintaing that pressure.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Here's my two cents. I use both. If I'm fishing pike I will usually debarb my hooks mainly because the little buggers tend to try to inhale it and it makes it easier to get the hook out on a real deep hook set.

If I'm fishing with a tip up, I don't debarb as you aren't there to maintain line tension and I find personally I lose less fish.

If I'm fishing ling's or perch I do not debarb, same goes for trout or any small mouth species where you usually hook up in the corner of the mouth.....
You mean since you've heard of the 'mistake' of the writing of the barbless law, right?