Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-16-2013, 10:37 PM

Default First step

I grew up fishing and were terrible. im going to try fly fishing as it looks well same difference as hunting. I've learnt over the last few years about locating areas to hunt, so now I know there's the same thing here and im looking for my first step, which will lead to my second and third. a suggestion for places to find spots near Edmonton would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:50 PM

I was in your shoes just a few months back. But after getting my licence, and checking the regs, i went out exploring on the various rivers and creeks around Calgary. Some of the most productive days i have had are just walking along the river and casting into it.

Im sure others will chime in with bodies of water around Edmonton for you, as they did with me when i went to different parts of the province. But over trial and error, you will find the holes that produce fish.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:27 PM

That's called flogging the water and there is nothing wrong with it. I would have to agree fly fishing is slot like hunting. Reading the water knowing where and how to present your fly is a skill. If it boiled down to going to bed hungry or not I would bet on the later of the two methods. Learning and keeping a journal will help you to be more efficient. I prefer to cast a little as posible these days. Enjoy your learning curve. Fly fishing is a great pastime