Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-18-2020, 10:59 AM

Default Semi auto nonrestricted for coyotes?

Wondering what is out there for non restricted semi autos for coyotes. What are you guys using.? I have been doing some research but appreciate the honest reviews on this forum.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:06 AM

The problem is, that what is non restricted today, may be restricted or prohibited next week, or next month. Until the list of firearms effected by the new regulations is released, nobody knows.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The problem is, that what is non restricted today, may be restricted or prohibited next week, or next month. Until the list of firearms effected by the new regulations is released, nobody knows.
Exactly. As much as I want to blow a big ol' raspberry at our benevolent leaders and buy what I want, the pragmatist in me says to wait.

Colin
Old 01-18-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
So I understand. I have been out of the loop for awhile. I used to be on top of all this news and information but work and kids the last few years has infringed on that. Really appreciate the information. Keep it coming.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:35 AM

Well, get a Robinson Arms XCR in .223. Well made and accurate. Non restricted, no paperwork on it. If the laws change and anyone even bothers to ask about it (how would They know??) you can just be honest and say you sold it to Mike in Canmore. Lots of guys sold Mike their stuff.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-18-2020, 11:39 AM

Many options. First answer some important questions
-budget
-caliber

SVT-40 is accurate enough but heavy AF
An old Winchester model 100 in .308 or 243 is only around $400 if you can find em.
Kel-Tek in .223 is about $900 probably the best ‘cheap’ option? Many may disagree. You can spend thousands on an excellent rifle for sure and too many to list. As for the upcoming bans...... I am buying as many firearms as I can reasonably afford and encourage everyone I know to do the same and at the same time pressure our elected officials to resist these stupid snowflake gun control laws.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:40 AM

What about the new Kodiak 180NSR?
Old 01-18-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well, get a Robinson Arms XCR in .223. Well made and accurate. Non restricted, no paperwork on it. If the laws change and anyone even bothers to ask about it (how would They know??) you can just be honest and say you sold it to Mike in Canmore. Lots of guys sold Mike their stuff.
That is good as long as the firearm never leaves your home, but he wants a rifle to hunt coyotes with, so he will have it in the field and probably in his vehicle, where he could be checked by an officer. Even if he is checked for a basic traffic stop, and there is a firearms case in the vehicle, the officer will usually ask to see it, to verify that it isn't loaded.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:01 PM

A WK 180C seems to work fairly well and are probably about as low a price as you will find.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
That is good as long as the firearm never leaves your home, but he wants a rifle to hunt coyotes with, so he will have it in the field and probably in his vehicle, where he could be checked by an officer. Even if he is checked for a basic traffic stop, and there is a firearms case in the vehicle, the officer will usually ask to see it, to verify that it isn't loaded.
Why would that be a concern if it’s non restricted?
Old 01-18-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
Why would that be a concern if it’s non restricted?
It will probably be restricted in a few days...
Old 01-18-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
It will probably be restricted in a few days...
Where can I go to read and get up to date on this?
Old 01-18-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
Where can I go to read and get up to date on this?
You won't find the list of soon to be prohibited firearms because it hasn't been released yet.,
Old 01-18-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I would suggest everyone get one, and enjoy it. So what if you're seen with it, they aren't banned yet. IF they do end up banned, simply make sure you sell it to mike before the ban is in effect. He is a ready buyer.

Besides, there will be massive non compliance, and the courts will be overwhelmed with appeals cases if it ever goes that route. Instead of being frightened 'subject's of the Crown (aka PM Trudeau), maybe the government should be concerned about a law abiding population who will not comply with further encroachments on them. I don't give a damn that property rights were deliberately not enshrined in our 'Bill of Rights'. JT's old man did that on purpose. If citizens stand together, its going to be something the government will crawl away from.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-18-2020, 03:35 PM

I am leaning towards the Kel-Tec su16. Any others to consider? Also what optics should I look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2020, 10:00 PM

If it was my money, without a moment's hesitation I'd be getting the Stag 10.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:08 PM

just to name a bunch of the semi auto 223 semi's out there.
kel tec rdb and kel tec su16, wk180c, macabee slr, benelli mr1, ruger mini14, iwi tavor, robson arms xcr, norinco type 97, alberta tactical rifle modern sporter

in my humble opinion most of these rifles are designed for "battle rifle" accuracy and dont lend themselves to being great coyote rifles over a bolt gun. my choice would be a purpose built rifle off of an alberta tactical or maccabee slr receiver. with the robson arms and mini 14 target being my second choice.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-18-2020, 11:23 PM

A semi 223 has a place. It’s 250y or less coyote calling. Mini 14.
At that range you don’t need much of a scope. 3 x 9 x 50
Bushnell trophy
Old 01-18-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
just to name a bunch of the semi auto 223 semi's out there.
kel tec rdb and kel tec su16, wk180c, macabee slr, benelli mr1, ruger mini14, iwi tavor, robson arms xcr, norinco type 97, alberta tactical rifle modern sporter

in my humble opinion most of these rifles are designed for "battle rifle" accuracy and dont lend themselves to being great coyote rifles over a bolt gun. my choice would be a purpose built rifle off of an alberta tactical or maccabee slr receiver. with the robson arms and mini 14 target being my second choice.
Having owned the XCR, it's a very reliable rifle but with the ATRS Modern Sporter being available I really don't miss the XCR at all. The XCR is an excellent platform but the 18.6" rifle is not the sweet spot. If they were not restricted I'd buy a XCR Mini in a heartbeat.

I have yet to work up a load for my MS, but it looks like it will be sub moa with reloads. 20" 8 twist barrel in .223 Wylde, shoots the 73gr Hornady ELD Match factory loads nipping moa.

Highly recommend the ATRS vs the competition, no contest there.

Last edited by YoteStopper; 01-18-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
If a guy always worries about "tomorrow " what fun is that. Zero point in not buying the gun that you want TODAY
Old 01-19-2020, 12:17 AM

ATRS Modern Sporter is what I would buy. Nowadays you can get almost bolt action accuracy out of modern semi’s.

Macdef SLR would be a second choice.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
If a guy always worries about "tomorrow " what fun is that. Zero point in not buying the gun that you want TODAY
If you don't mind buying something that you might not be able to legally use in a few weeks or months, that is up to you, but the government has made it clear that they are going to prohibit at least some semi auto rifles , as a result of their new legislation.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
If you don't mind buying something that you might not be able to legally use in a few weeks or months, that is up to you, but the government has made it clear that they are going to prohibit at least some semi auto rifles , as a result of their new legislation.
Way too much worrying going on. You are basically feeding into the government's mindset by thinking that way.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
Way too much worrying going on. You are basically feeding into the government's mindset by thinking that way.
We are no longer talking about something that may or may not happen in years, we are talking something that we know will likely happen in weeks or months. Waiting a few weeks or months, could help the OP purchase a firearm that he can keep and use. I own firearms that could be effected, and I am not selling them now but I am also not spending my money purchasing more firearms that could be effected.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
We are no longer talking about something that may or may not happen in years, we are talking something that we know will likely happen in weeks or months. Waiting a few weeks or months, could help the OP purchase a firearm that he can keep and use. I own firearms that could be effected, and I am not selling them now but I am also not spending my money purchasing more firearms that could be effected.
This. There are lots of guys out there who have saved and can afford 1 non restricted MSR. They are quite expensive compared to a bolt action. What's the point in spending that cash just to have the rules change and you can't use it anymore? And the rules are going to change there's no doubt about it
Old 01-19-2020, 09:09 AM

why not get a Browning BAR in 243 that looks like a hunting rifle and not like a military assault rifle? no problem there!
Old 01-19-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
why not get a Browning BAR in 243 that looks like a hunting rifle and not like a military assault rifle? no problem there!
Unfortunately we don't know if it will be restricted or prohibited because it has a removable magazine. The same with the Remington 740,742 and 7400, and other rifles..
Old 01-19-2020, 12:09 PM
Banned

All this talk about semis going prohib "soon" is hilarious. Buy what you want and if you don't need the cash from that gun then keep it. Criminals carry their handguns every day. It's the new norm.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:28 PM

Well since you said semi. I'd like throw in the stoeger m3000 or mk3. Or a Remington v3. Iv always had fun hunting song dogs with #4 buck, slugs work to and can reach out more. And personally, and this just my thoughts the new "list" wont be so heavy on hunting shotguns and hey can always get rabbits or what ever with just a different shell if see those and no yotes. Versatility is the name of the game with a shotgun. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:53 PM

As perusal....The AO crowd rolls over in the corner and pee all over them selves....

Buy a semi auto whatever...enjoy it ...damn sparkle socks and the progressives...He will not be in power forever.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.