Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-14-2016, 03:42 PM

Smile best 2506 bullet???

I was wondering what is the best bullet to use in my 2506 for shooting elk????AND the best loads you have figured out if you want to share.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2016, 03:54 PM

I would use 120 grain nosler partition.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:09 PM

SS-18 MIRV 7 ..... Soviet Union stock strategic ballistic missile ..... Get the whole herd
Old 12-14-2016, 04:18 PM

Default Nosler 120 grain

I reload though because my rifle doesn't like the off the shelf 120 grain Nosler Partition

The Hornady 117 SST are very good

Barnes makes a decent round as well

I use 120 Partitions on moose and Elk

Being defeated is optional!
Old 12-14-2016, 04:35 PM

Default well........

I like the 115 Partitions for bigger stuff and the 120gr Hornady HP for deer although they also kill elk...100gr devastating on antelope....Harold
Old 12-14-2016, 04:38 PM

Default 25-06

We use the Nosler 110 Accubond if we can find them.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:00 PM

Although I don't reload I use the 115gr partitions exclusively from deer up to moose.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
We use the Nosler 110 Accubond if we can find them.
My gun came in today

I'll be looking for the 110 Accubonds for it too. For now I just bought two boxes of hornady 117 superformance factory loads. Just bought a scope, hopefully it'll be here by the weekend so I can test out my new rig!

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and post my findings when I get some.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:22 PM

115 gr. TSX
Old 12-14-2016, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
I would use 120 grain nosler partition.
This guy,,,,, if you had to use the 25
Old 12-14-2016, 06:55 PM

What kind of recipes you guys runnin with the 115 partitions?
Old 12-14-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
115 gr. TSX
Yup!

Can't beat solid copper for terminal performance. Very important when you shoot large animals with small bullets.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Trapper View Post
What kind of recipes you guys runnin with the 115 partitions?
Try a stiff load of R 22 , it seems to work well in the firearms I have loaded for. IMR 4831 is another to look at
Old 12-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAT Hunter View Post
I reload though because my rifle doesn't like the off the shelf 120 grain Nosler Partition

The Hornady 117 SST are very good

Barnes makes a decent round as well

I use 120 Partitions on moose and Elk
This must be the very first time that I've read or heard SST's and "very good" in the same sentence. A 117 SST on elk????? Seriously?
Old 12-14-2016, 08:27 PM

Where does it say that he uses 117gr SST's on elk?
Old 12-14-2016, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE View Post
Where does it say that he uses 117gr SST's on elk?
Post #4 seeing as though the topic is elk specific. Next question.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
This must be the very first time that I've read or heard SST's and "very good" in the same sentence. A 117 SST on elk????? Seriously?
Have you tried the 117g sst in a 25-06 on game?
Also he specifically wrote 120g partitions for elk.

As for the op i used to exclusivly use 115g ballistic tips friends had very good luck with 110g accubonds as well

Last edited by dogslayer403; 12-14-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm with you. I won't say it won't work but I'd have a hard time agreeing it's a good choice...especially in a smallish cartridge.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Have you tried the 117g sst in a 25-06 on game?
Also he specifically wrote 120g partitions for elk.

As for the op i used to exclusivly use 115g ballistic tips friends had very good luck with 110g accubonds as well
I believe the sst and ballistic tip to be very similar and discourage the use of either unless the shot is long enough that the fps slows to under 1800. Then they will act similar to a cup and core type bullet. The cup and core at those speeds will struggle to open up and may not be effective as they should be. A hunter I was with this year shot a nice wt buck with sst 150 grain 308 at 175 yards. A bit high and just to back of the lungs. 6" hole going in, no exit, the back straps were destroyed, little holes in the rear of the front shoulder and the front of the hind quarter. There was zero retention on the bullet. It dropped on the spot but meat lose was ridicules. Needless to say he will never shoot them again. I have also been asked to reload them for friends and refuse to do it unless it's for coyotes and fur us not the end game. Don't get angry and shoot what you want, it's your meat but friends don't let friends use ballistic tips on big game. I can even post the picture of the entrance wound if needed. Let the attacks begin, I'm ready
Old 12-15-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Seen 95 SST's from a 6mm Rem work on a lot of deer, some exit, some don't. Same combo flat-lined a young bull elk pretty good too.

There's a lot of hunting folks out there that don't know what a good bullet or bad bullet is supposed to be....They buy factory ammo or handload, ensure reasonable accuracy is there and go hunt. Find game, wait for game to be in a good position and make an accurate shot... Things just die with no fuss.

I recall one new hunter I gave some rifle/scope advice to and for ammo (he didn't plan on handloading, ever), I recommended going to WSS/Cabela's and buy a few boxes, learn how to shoot and figure out what is the most accurate then stock up. Few years later he's been killing a couple deer a year and he's telling me how well his rifle/scope/ammo combo shoots and kills deer.... Turns out he has been using Hornady factory stuff with a 168 A-max (.308 Win) and had a good stockpile of it.... I wasn't about to tell him he was doing it wrong. It's an expanding bullet and nothing is going to shake off catching one in the rib cage.

Were I loading for a .25-06, I'd look to either the 100 or 115 ballistic tip and not worry about a thing...
Old 12-15-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I believe the sst and ballistic tip to be very similar and discourage the use of either unless the shot is long enough that the fps slows to under 1800. Then they will act similar to a cup and core type bullet. The cup and core at those speeds will struggle to open up and may not be effective as they should be. A hunter I was with this year shot a nice wt buck with sst 150 grain 308 at 175 yards. A bit high and just to back of the lungs. 6" hole going in, no exit, the back straps were destroyed, little holes in the rear of the front shoulder and the front of the hind quarter. There was zero retention on the bullet. It dropped on the spot but meat lose was ridicules. Needless to say he will never shoot them again. I have also been asked to reload them for friends and refuse to do it unless it's for coyotes and fur us not the end game. Don't get angry and shoot what you want, it's your meat but friends don't let friends use ballistic tips on big game. I can even post the picture of the entrance wound if needed. Let the attacks begin, I'm ready
No attacks neccasary ive used em both in various cartridges on a lot of game and only seen experiences like yours on spine shots. Each to their own i hope less people use em means more on the shelf for me. Cheers
Old 12-15-2016, 10:01 PM

I have pretty much shot the 115 gr silver ballistic tips out of my Sendaro since day one. Super accurate. Shot a lot of animals from coyotes to moose. Moose was shot at 300 yards and both bullets found on off side hide.

This year I tried Berger Vlds and the are unreal accurate. Only 1 deer shot with them but great performance so far.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:50 PM

80gr ttsx
Old 12-16-2016, 02:13 PM
Banned

There is another thread going that has some good links but I'll be quick. The ballistic tip and the sst are both cup and core, as well as the accubond, but in the smaller calibers the sst and theballistic tips are thinner walled and are non bonded meaning the lead is not adheared to the outer shell. They explode on impact with little penetration. The accubond is also a cup and core but is bonded meaning the inner lead is attached to the outer shell and on impact the bullet mushrooms for deeper penetration and are designed for a 65 percent retention for hammering in deep. Now, the partition is an H frame and is non bonded. The top part of the bullet does mushroom fast but the lower part of the H holds the bullet together to push it deep. Clearly in the smaller calibers on elk you need penitration not a big splat on the front shoulder with no penitration to the organs. Now on the larger calibers/cartridges the ballistic tip and the sst have thicker outer shells and may hold together better if the speeds don't get out of control or what they are designed for. I still won't use them in bigger stuff. The write ups in the other thread are worth the read. Both of them go through cupband core as well as most common bullets with their individual characteristics.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:22 PM

110 gr accubond works very well for Elk.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:30 PM

Default thanks

Thanks for all your replys guys, I think I will look for some 120 gr partitions.
I hope they will shoot out of my rifle ok. if I can remember way back, I don't think the accubonds did. Ok, thanks again.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
Thanks for all your replys guys, I think I will look for some 120 gr partitions.
I hope they will shoot out of my rifle ok. if I can remember way back, I don't think the accubonds did. Ok, thanks again.
Where is home for you
Old 12-16-2016, 07:07 PM

Default 257

I shot 120 gr grandslams out of my 257 Arnold for years one tough bullet. You won't be disappointed with the 120 partition. It also never let me down either
Old 12-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
If your in Calgary or area I can hook u up with a few to try to see if your gun likes them before you buy powder and a box of bullets, ill even go over the recipe with you and chrono info for what I'm shooting, let me know. All the Brownings I've had in that caliber liked the noslers
Old 12-18-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
There is another thread going that has some good links but I'll be quick. The ballistic tip and the sst are both cup and core, as well as the accubond, but in the smaller calibers the sst and theballistic tips are thinner walled and are non bonded meaning the lead is not adheared to the outer shell. They explode on impact with little penetration. The accubond is also a cup and core but is bonded meaning the inner lead is attached to the outer shell and on impact the bullet mushrooms for deeper penetration and are designed for a 65 percent retention for hammering in deep. Now, the partition is an H frame and is non bonded. The top part of the bullet does mushroom fast but the lower part of the H holds the bullet together to push it deep. Clearly in the smaller calibers on elk you need penitration not a big splat on the front shoulder with no penitration to the organs. Now on the larger calibers/cartridges the ballistic tip and the sst have thicker outer shells and may hold together better if the speeds don't get out of control or what they are designed for. I still won't use them in bigger stuff. The write ups in the other thread are worth the read. Both of them go through cupband core as well as most common bullets with their individual characteristics.
Explode on impact! That's great stuff!!