Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 02:34 AM

Default Hopefully this is happening--US ITAR regs changing?

Published today apparently, Firearms changes proposed to move from DDTC to Commerce may actually happen in the next week or so. What may have been amended is not clear yet, Congress had its mitts on it and Demonrats fought it, but it appears it may have gotten thru now;

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/.../itar-changes/

https://gununiversity.com/firearms-m...mKKazlD6hK4y28
Old 01-17-2020, 02:13 AM

does this translate to being able to order scopes and gun parts from the US?
Old 01-17-2020, 11:01 AM

The article referenced is 1 year old and I don't think any of this has changed as of yet and if it has it has no effect on shipping Firearm related items from the US to Canada. Anybody have any more info?

I can't even get a tiny little trigger spring shipped from the U.S. as it's a gun related part.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:41 PM

Default Huh

I dont have to many problems getting gun parts from the US. Its all depending on whether the selleing business has an ITAR lic. Brownells ships plenty. I bring in lower detachable magazine units pretty often, rifle bolts etc. As long as its under $500.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:02 PM

While this would be awesome I will believe it when I see it, I’m sure our Canadian overlords will have something to say about it as Canada was originally able to be exempt from ITAR but our Liberal PM at the time said ‘no no we insist to be subject to ITAR’ or something of the like.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
The article referenced is 1 year old and I don't think any of this has changed as of yet and if it has it has no effect on shipping Firearm related items from the US to Canada. Anybody have any more info?

I can't even get a tiny little trigger spring shipped from the U.S. as it's a gun related part.
Huh weird. I ordered a Rifle Basix upgrade for a Savage trigger no problem, it was just a spring
Old 01-19-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
Huh weird. I ordered a Rifle Basix upgrade for a Savage trigger no problem, it was just a spring

A lot of this is due to certain manufacturers are licensed to export and others are not. I can order a full trigger rebuild for a Ruger Mkiii from one bit not another. Brownells has a special filter for able to export for that reason. They might be a little more expensive, but they are clear on whether you can get it or not. Might have to fill out a user declaration stating it’s for personal repair use for the US government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitscottn View Post
A lot of this is due to certain manufacturers are licensed to export and others are not. I can order a full trigger rebuild for a Ruger Mkiii from one bit not another. Brownells has a special filter for able to export for that reason. They might be a little more expensive, but they are clear on whether you can get it or not. Might have to fill out a user declaration stating it’s for personal repair use for the US government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah thx
Old 01-20-2020, 11:31 AM

Was aware the one article was a year old, but, Cleckner's article is current. Not seeing anything new on DDTC webpage yet, may have to wait for new issue of the register. However, there is this from the forum on arms trade site;
https://www.forumarmstrade.org/catitoiii.html

This is the "unpublished version" (not a condensed one, either);

_https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2020-00573.pdf
Old 01-20-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Was aware the one article was a year old, but, Cleckner's article is current. Not seeing anything new on DDTC webpage yet, may have to wait for new issue of the register. However, there is this from the forum on arms trade site;
https://www.forumarmstrade.org/catitoiii.html

This is the "unpublished version" (not a condensed one, either);

_https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2020-00573.pdf
Likely, will be more info after SHOT this week as the USA government guys are normally there running workshops for the exporters. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:21 PM

Apparently the link to the document won't work directly, can access it here;

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...longer-warrant
Old 01-24-2020, 02:45 PM

They did publish it yesterday, so, it is official now. Can't make out too much yet as to what it may change towards reloading supplies, I believe it isn't much if anything, possibly they will be included in the 500.00 exemptions, but, a while back, I also saw they may only be 100.00 value, and this document does not specify anything in that regard, that is obvious. Some optics appear to be affected, have to wait and see what the final interpretations are on all of that, which should all occur before long, likely about a month or two. Have to wait til a person can read the sections after they are changed and published inclusive of the new changes to relate it all. People like Brownell's and Euro Optics will no doubt be in that process PDQ.