Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-06-2020, 11:35 PM
Banned

Default How’s the Season Going?

Getting close to the Last Receiving Date. How’s it going with you guys?

I’ve almost tripled my last year’s first auction catch but for whatever reason last year was tough trapping for me. Initially I was catching some nasty looking pups but now there’s few mite catches and zero mange ones since November. My fur is looking really good this year with nice full white bellies. So far it’s been a great season and I have no complaints whatsoever. I hope that it’s the same for you fellas.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:27 AM

This year started off good but with lack of snow compared to previous years it’s slowed down the last month they’ve been in an outa baits in diff access points so been moving snares around trying to figure out where they might come in but as far as fur goes very good fur haven’t had any red belly’s or mites I haven’t caught one with mange since moving to sask hoping this cold snap we are suppose to get will help things out
Old 01-07-2020, 10:38 AM

Its been pretty good for me too... I am at my total from last year and still almost 2 months to go! December sucked for me, but so did last December, I went and looked at my log book. I'm really trying to get some rams out b4 this cold hits, I'm hoping for a great Jan an Feb! Had 3 with mites, no mange but a few red bellies. Now the fur I'm getting is NICE and full and thick. Looking great!
Old 01-07-2020, 11:26 AM

Numbers this year are good for me. Not only caught numbers but good quality numbers. Few mange, couple mites/wetback, one lice. Weathers gotten cold here so hopefully things will light up again. Sitting in hospital right now with my baby boy on the way so we’ll see how much longer I can leave traps out for but good year so far.

Just a side note. Guys that are worried about red belly when I was at the groenwald table in December one of the guys was questioning red belly and they kept saying not a big deal and looking at the top side only. Red belly was a bigger deal when majority of fur was used for fur coats which that’s not the case now. So don’t discard or stress about it is my opinion.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:26 PM

Interesting day. That's the second coon I've seen around here just north of Edmonton. Having trouble loading pic . Adult male coyote with a large coon beside. The coon is heavier than the yote.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:29 PM

Numbers have been strong for myself and a couple other trappers in our area. Just like you guys are seeing, mite/lice percentage is down drastically. Last year I ran consistently around 33% and my buddies around 25% last year. Now all three of us are catching Clean Yotes around the 10% mark or better. Any speculations what major factors influence this....
Old 01-08-2020, 01:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Den Fur Buyer View Post
Numbers have been strong for myself and a couple other trappers in our area. Just like you guys are seeing, mite/lice percentage is down drastically. Last year I ran consistently around 33% and my buddies around 25% last year. Now all three of us are catching Clean Yotes around the 10% mark or better. Any speculations what major factors influence this....
It seems to me that if you trap the same areas every year the fur gets better by getting rid of the mite and mange ones. That seems to be the case for me anyways.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:31 AM

My numbers are doing pretty good but the amount of snared dogs vs called and shot has really changed from last year's. The baits are on fire and calling has been kinda rough. I have been hitting roughly the same areas year after year and my mites/mange has dropped to almost nothing.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-08-2020, 12:10 PM

Resized the picture. Thanks for the offer Dave. I'm not sure if it's a big one because I've only caught two, 9 miles north of Edmonton. The phone makes it look a little bigger but it outweighed the coyote.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0414.jpg (73.6 KB, 182 views)
Old 01-08-2020, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
Resized the picture. Thanks for the offer Dave. I'm not sure if it's a big one because I've only caught two, 9 miles north of Edmonton. The phone makes it look a little bigger but it outweighed the coyote.
Are you going to weigh that sucker. Maybe it's a B&C coon.

They've made their way across the river all the way passed Morinville. Last year someone brought me a 25 lb boar caught 10 kms SW of here.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:24 PM

Default How’s your season

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It seems to me that if you trap the same areas every year the fur gets better by getting rid of the mite and mange ones. That seems to be the case for me anyways.
Same here. 66 so far and only 7 bad ones.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:01 PM

Default Southern Alberta beauties

nice bunch of yotes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200111_134452[1] Southern Alberta's finest.jpg (157.1 KB, 137 views)
Old 01-11-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
nice bunch of yotes
Damn!!
Old 01-12-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Are you going to weigh that sucker. Maybe it's a B&C coon.

They've made their way across the river all the way passed Morinville. Last year someone brought me a 25 lb boar caught 10 kms SW of here.
Old farmer / winter trapper (dead now) caught a Coon in a Beaver trap along the Pembina just north of my place.

Thankfully, have seen no sign of them at my place. I keep an eye on tracks along my creek....
Old 01-13-2020, 08:05 PM

Caught this old-timer the other night. Measured roughly 7 feet from tip to the bottom of the tail.

Season around Edmonton has been good. 1 bad coyote out of 20.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk