Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-06-2018, 08:11 AM

Default I like this answer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
That rifle is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
Maybe you should take up knitting to occupy your free time.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:26 AM

We can only hope that folks looking around before buying.

CT might not be as competitive as other big box dealers since they might not bulk / bulk.

Pretty hard to compete against BP, Cabela's, or the once WSS, on "some items" that is.

The chain that buys the largest amount of goods at 1 time usually gets a better deal.
CT I would think, might sell 2 or 4 pallets of rifles per year.
The big companies that work Canada and the USA might sell 100 to 200 pallets of firearms along with lots of tractor trailers of ammo ever years.

This makes a big difference when it comes to Buying power for each retail-tail out-let.

CT would have to sell alot of firearms in order to get a lower dealer rate compared to the larger sellers in the market place.

None of us will really know this unless we get a chance to look at the books.

Whole Sale Sports was getting super low manufacturing prices before they closed the doors, they sold a pallet of 500 Savage rifles at dealer cost, the pallet was empty empty in less than 5 to 6 hours.

My friend in GP went on a spending spree, he cashed in after selling them off to the next buyers. 37 to 42% return on his investments.

Purhaps the same sales idea as CT, but at a much lower price point below the $1000 line.

This is one of many tools used to get ahead or show profits.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
I don't bother with gun shows anymore, they're turned into a bit of joke.All old stuff, no bargains and if it's a bargain it's probably broken.
I couldn’t agree with you more. But I find it seems there is always a hidden gem in there somewhere.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:02 AM

I woulda said something as well, it is a service to the retailer to let them know a suspected pricing error. If they choose not to listen that is fine, but in my mind anyone who is looking at over $1000 for a gun is going to either going to talk to an experienced retailer or know at least enough to spot a $500 pricing variation.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:27 AM

Reading this thread is four minutes of my life I won't get back. To the Op, you tried to help, they don't want your help. End of story.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:31 AM
Banned

Does CT price match?

life is so unfair
Old 10-06-2018, 10:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
I couldn’t agree with you more. But I find it seems there is always a hidden gem in there somewhere.
Yup, luv it when people don't poke around then there is more crap,for me to rummage through....got a dirty Brit 303 that is a shooter for 200 bucks and 3 boxes of federal bullets too, found a JM Marlin 30/30 for a few hundred bucks complete with 4 power scope, found other stuff too poking around.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-06-2018, 10:24 AM
Banned

If you were looking to purchase this rifle, and it was priced $300 low, what would you have done?
Old 10-06-2018, 12:21 PM

OP, you did the right thing trying.

If it bothers some of you folks greatly that a guy tries to point out a mistake... so what? Move on to the next thread.

I left the rude posts up as an example of what will get a person suspended.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
I'm a bit curious how some of you would approach the following scenario.

I was in the local CT and browsing the guns, as I always do, when I noticed a Browning AB3 hunter (wood stock) listed for $1,249.00. Obviously it's a mistake, and I let a sales person know and advised that they should talk to their manager about it. Well, I've been back a couple of times, let another sales know, and nothing has changed, so today I asked to speak to a manager.
Long story short, he insists that the pricing is correct since the SKU on the tag gives him that price in the system...

Am I being a busybody? Clearly they don't care that some unsuspecting customer could overpay by approximately double for a budget class rifle. The tag even says AB3 on it, and it's next to an AB3 synthetic listsed at $600 less, and an x-bolt stalker listed at $300 less. I find it to be personally extremely frustrating dealing with this sort of obstinacy.... no informed customer will ever pay, but a first time hunter might.

After three conversations, the last with a manager, I'm not sure what recourse I have. Better business bureau? I know.... caveat emptor.... I for sure will think twice before spending money at that store after this experience.
While I don’t think you can really force them to do anything about it, I agree they have some major pricing errors in their firearm and ammo department. I actually had a very similar experience recently at the manning location. Went to see if they had any federal 30-06 180gr TBT ammo, as cabelas was out. Well they had it, but the price showed $73. I asked the sales person to check the price as that must be an error, and they checked in the computer and said nope it’s right. Well I let them know whoever is doing their pricing is obviously making mistakes, as the 308 version was a more reasonable $55, which the 30-06 should be the same or close at least. The magnum calibres were in the $75 range so no reason 30-06 should be.

Anyways they priced matched cabelas $52 price. But I talked to the manager and explained they must have someone doing the pricing and making mistakes, as a couple months ago we came across a bunch of seriously over priced firearms as well. And I’m sure it’s someone making mistakes, as most of the ammo and guns are usually in ball park typical prices, just random ones being way over, like they are being mistaken for other models.

Doesn’t hurt to let them know what’s going on, Hopefully it leads to more competitive pricing.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:53 PM

I bought two new guns back then, I rather wait for one to pop up use now. Worst case a bit of gunsmithing work and up you go.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:02 PM

You made your concerns known, I'd let it go and move on. Lots of items are overpriced these days relative to others. Milk at Macs is $2 more than Sobey's, a 30% increase, it doesn't bother me if people buy their milk from Macs.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

I was in the local CT and browsing the guns, as I always do, when I noticed a Browning AB3 hunter (wood stock) listed for $1,249.00. Obviously it's a mistake, and I let a sales person know and advised that they should talk to their manager about it. Well, I've been back a couple of times, let another sales know, and nothing has changed, so today I asked to speak to a manager.
Long story short, he insists that the pricing is correct since the SKU on the tag gives him that price in the system...
Was this the Calgary Shaunessy location by any chance? I had a similar interaction last year. I was excited to see they had Nosler Varmageddon 224 bullets in stock but the 62gr were twice the cost of the 55gr right next to them.

Same response, “the computer says”, still sitting there last time I looked. They’ve been good to me otherwise so I can complain too much but there’s definitely a breakdown when it comes to pricing from time to time.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:02 PM

Good for you OP for pointing out the mistake to CT people. Bad for you for crying to others that you have been ignored.

Half of the problems in this world are because people forget how to mind their own damn business.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:22 PM

I agree.

It's best to let the store know about the mistake. It would be nice to see the mistakes fixed but unfortunately the mistake is higher up and the manager doesn't care to fix anything.

I agree with some of the comments. Some young guys like me 15 years ago went into the store for our first rifles before the interent etc came to be and said we want a browning in .30 06 or .270. All because some of the older guys said browning makes a good rifle.

I do meet most people do some research or have someone help them with their purchases these days and most likely that rifle wont sell.

All you can do is make recommendations to the people you know to shop at places with better service!
Old 10-08-2018, 07:09 PM

Maybe they are learning from the car dealers. Post an over priced msrp and offer cash back lol.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Banned

Default Leduc CT

Leduc CT has some great deals, my Howa Alpine was $1384 out the door... minimum $200 cheaper than anywhere else I looked, how could I complain with that? I heard the Rocky Mountainhouse CT is the best though. Never been yet....
Old 10-10-2018, 03:23 PM

Default Lol

Good for a laugh. I remember when crappy tire was selling bricks of 22 shells that had the same bar code as a box of 50. I think about 5$ a brick. Gopher hunting was cheap that spring.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp hunter View Post
Good for a laugh. I remember when crappy tire was selling bricks of 22 shells that had the same bar code as a box of 50. I think about 5$ a brick. Gopher hunting was cheap that spring.

I wonder if the OP would have contacted the manager?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:15 PM

I'm sure if you looked you could find an AB3 listed on the Buy and Sell for more than $1249...

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Banned

Was at crappy tire leduc today. CZ 455 american? $489 I believe. As well as a Kimber Montana 308 $1250ish. Tan and stainless. I know the CZ is a good price. Not sure about the kimber but thought I would spread the word.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Was at crappy tire leduc today. CZ 455 american? $489 I believe. As well as a Kimber Montana 308 $1250ish. Tan and stainless. I know the CZ is a good price. Not sure about the kimber but thought I would spread the word.
That would be a Kimber Hunter, not the Montana. If they had the Montana on for that price I would buy every one they had lol.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
That would be a Kimber Hunter, not the Montana. If they had the Montana on for that price I would buy every one they had lol.
Whoops you're right. There used to a be a wood/blued kimber there too. Some shelves are looking empty, I can't wait to see what new items they're getting.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:53 PM

From what I’ve seen our local CT messes up and under prices more firearms than they over price.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:

I was in the local CT and browsing the guns, as I always do, when I noticed a Browning AB3 hunter (wood stock) listed for $1,249.00. Obviously it's a mistake
Don't worry, it'll go on sale in a week or two at 70% off. Then you can buy it with your spare CT money.