Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2024, 09:40 PM

Thumbs down Edmonton Property taxes +8.7%

Big city taxes eh ! Toronto is the only city in Canada with a bigger percentage increase. looks like those woke idiots at city hall need more money for those bike lanes maintenance .
Old 04-12-2024, 09:45 PM

Outrageous. The Province needs to step in and take over. Core services should be the only focus.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Outrageous. The Province needs to step in and take over. Core services should be the only focus.
Why should the Province step in? Edmonton voted for this, Edmonton can deal with it.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:18 PM

Virtue signalling is expensive. As they say, go woke, go broke.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:36 PM

Default Might be worse

It looks like the tax rate has jumped up but hasn't property values gone up as well?

Unless I misunderstand math, your tax bill will also be affected by this value increase. In Calgary, the true number is more like 14%, half from a rate increase, half from property value.

On the bright side, at least we will end up with a useless Green Line to nowhere. The 3 or 4 folks riding most weekends will be thankful.

Does Edmonton allow recall petitions as well?
Old 04-12-2024, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
It looks like the tax rate has jumped up but hasn't property values gone up as well?

Unless I misunderstand math, your tax bill will also be affected by this value increase. In Calgary, the true number is more like 14%, half from a rate increase, half from property value.

On the bright side, at least we will end up with a useless Green Line to nowhere. The 3 or 4 folks riding most weekends will be thankful.

Does Edmonton allow recall petitions as well?
your property value only means anything when compared to the neighbour’s house

the mill rate is determined by the number of property assessment and the AMOUNT THEY NEED TO FUNCTION OR WISH TI STEAL FROM THE RATEPAYERS

as long as the houses of the same build are valued the same it is the

MONEY THEY NEED TO GET that matters

nothing more nothing less

the FICTIONAL increases in property values mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

my property is worth 100 bucks and they need 1000 from me the mill rate is 10

my property is worth 50 bucks and they need 1000 the mill rate is 20

same result my friend
Old 04-12-2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Why should the Province step in? Edmonton voted for this, Edmonton can deal with it.

ARG
Totally agree, Calgary is next ... Enjoy the decline!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post

ARG
100 % they voted these buffoons in, let them reap the rewards. Not provincial tax payers
Old 04-13-2024, 07:32 AM

Easy now, not all of us voted for this band of clowns and honestly fiscal prudence should be a priority of any elected representative not exclusive to the left or right aisle. The adage, don't spend beyond your means seems to only exist on the right anymore.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:39 AM

I'm sure Mike Nickel, likely living outside of Edmonton now, is laughing his ass off!!
Old 04-13-2024, 09:36 AM

They could cancel the $90,000,000 bike lane that no one uses and probably lower tax rate. Also understand UCP has been feeding more money $$ into Calgary than Edmonton to buy more votes.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
They could cancel the $90,000,000 bike lane that no one uses and probably lower tax rate. Also understand UCP has been feeding more money $$ into Calgary than Edmonton to buy more votes.
What money has calgary received that edmonton hasn’t?
Old 04-13-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I'm sure Mike Nickel, likely living outside of Edmonton now, is laughing his ass off!!
I am sure he is! He is the guy I was voting for but we got the bus driver instead who failed at his previous jobs….

Last edited by KGB; 04-13-2024 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-13-2024, 02:23 PM

Sad for anyone who lives there with fiscal/conservative views. I hope you can leave the city of woke. It’ll concentrate the wokeness till there’s nothing left but leaches and those that remain will get exactly what they vote for. The province needs to stay out of this and let them circle the drain.
Old 04-13-2024, 02:35 PM

Budget problems --- readjust the priorities

In 2019 the City Council declared a climate emergency and put in place a climate change team ---- this was not voted on by the citizens. This is a $300M+ item from which flows bike lanes, electirc buses and ping pong tables on Jasper Ave

This article hits the nail --- No measurable results --- We are so lucky that the lefty Ashley Salvador who supports bike lanes in older neighbourhoods is on top of this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...team-1.7172072

What to get the budget in order get back to basics --- dump the bike lanes, dump the climate change team, dump signature buildings that are costing huge dollars to maintain.

I live in Edmonton and I am ****ed at this council and what Iveson did in his time to create a large part of this mess.

and if you think this climate resiliance team is going to make life easier in Edmonton --- from the article -- the big priority --- reduce vehicles and make the city more walkable. Deep changes are needed

In August 2019, Edmonton city council declared a climate emergency, and pledged to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and limit global warming to 1.5 C.

Komar said his committee doesn't believe that climate change has been a priority for city leadership.

From his meetings with the climate resilience team, he said he understands it can plan and report on issues but can't make other departments prioritize them.

"They don't manage or control other departments, so they can't affect their emissions," he said.

Komar commended the city for making progress on things like creating a climate task force, and its plans to hire a chief climate officer, but he said members of the committee he co-chairs are still frustrated at the pace things are moving.

He said now it's time for bigger changes in the city like enacting more stringent requirements on energy efficiency codes, improving transportation so that people aren't reliant on cars, and making neighbourhoods more walkable.

Last edited by 2 Tollers; 04-13-2024 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post

What to get the budget in order get back to basics --- dump the bike lanes, dump the climate change team, dump signature buildings that are costing huge dollars to maintain.
Exactly. This POS should have been scraped at the drawing board.

Someone explain this to me?

The Whitemud has balls?

Shower for street people:

Blatchford black hole:

This says it all:

Hey buddy can you give me a boost?

How many riders?

Old 04-15-2024, 10:19 AM

All I can say is move

There is no point in living in an overpriced city with little to offer to compensate for the expense
Old 04-15-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
All I can say is move

There is no point in living in an overpriced city with little to offer to compensate for the expense
And this is exactly what I am doing just as soon as my wife retires in the near future. It is the absolute best option by far. I am actually ashamed to admit that I currently live in Edmonton.

Beyond complaining on this forum, I encourage all Edmonton members to write emails to all the Councillors and Mayor. I certainly did with much detail to factually contradict City Council's pure bs about inflation causing the massive rate hike, when in reality it is many added useless spending wants beyond core services.

I received 2 replies so far from Councillors with basically a form letter defending the bs all over despite my clear factual rebuttal.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
And this is exactly what I am doing just as soon as my wife retires in the near future. It is the absolute best option by far. I am actually ashamed to admit that I currently live in Edmonton.

Beyond complaining on this forum, I encourage all Edmonton members to write emails to all the Councillors and Mayor. I certainly did with much detail to factually contradict City Council's pure bs about inflation causing the massive rate hike, when in reality it is many added useless spending wants beyond core services.

I received 2 replies so far from Councillors with basically a form letter defending the bs all over despite my clear factual rebuttal.

You'll get these responses because Council is to lazy to find the savings. Andrew Knack was on the news the other night, his first thought was to cut the police budget because it was the largest expenditure the city has. Said this was about pet projects. Someone said 19 million dollars in cuts equals 1 percent. None of them have the gumption to cut the 75 million left on the bike lane project, there is almost 4 percent right there according to their own numbers.

Even if 5000 people bitched about the bike lane funding we'd still be further ahead. Again it's the tail wagging the dog. Woke is as woke does.

BW
Old 04-15-2024, 11:02 AM

Default Tax increase

Oh… just wait until the decision comes down on the arbitration with Edmonton fire. You see the city never negotiates in good faith… then they can say “ we never gave them that … the arbitrator did!l”. No contract for 5 years….remember what EPS got! City council is a complete diverse mess!
Lots of people jumping ship
Old 04-15-2024, 01:37 PM

This came through this morning on the CommonSense notification on what is going on at City Hall this week. I see an area where cuts can be made --- continued growth from 3 to 22 staff with no measured outputs plus each city department having similar groups ----- sorry no more money -- no more frills for stuff the citizens did not get to vote on. Get this under control before the "transformational changes across the organization" noted ask for more money.

"An audit report highlighted several issues with the City’s climate strategy. Shocking, we know! According to the report, the City's Environment and Climate Resilience Team (which has grown from 3 to 22 staff!) does not have effective methods for measuring progress, has not implemented any methods to measure success, isn't collecting data in an efficient way for informed decision-making, and hasn’t created climate-related training for City departments. Administration has issued a response noting that the issues are being addressed, but that full implementation of the reports’ findings “will require transformational change across the organization”."

I had no replies on any messages sent in. The only solution is this group of councillors has to be turfed come next election.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
All I can say is move

Ultimately, this is the correct response.

The mill rate in Northern Sunrise County has gone down the last two years running. This is in response to general inflationary pressure over that same timeframe. I love having a residence here : )

Three years ago my bill on 20 acres, a shop and a farm house was about $1300. I expect this year's bill to be in the high $900s.

The county stays in its lane. It plows the roads under its purview in the winter and applies gravel once every few years in the spring. It manages the water co-op and sewage facility in my little hamlet. It performs a summer cutting of the ditches and inline with that runs a weed (invasive plant) program to protect the interests of agriculture. There is a modest funding of community halls and seniors' services. Overall it avoids propping up the fashionable cause of the day and sticks to covering its proper municipal mandate. I believe that it is positioned as one of the top municipalities from a financial perspective in the province, if not the country as a whole. And all that up here in rural northern Alberta.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Virtue signalling is expensive. As they say, go woke, go broke.
love it!!!
Old 04-15-2024, 02:51 PM

From 2 Tollers post:

"In August 2019, Edmonton city council declared a climate emergency, and pledged to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and limit global warming to 1.5 C."

It looks like the City of Edmonton is going to take on climate change, so the rest of the planet doesn't have to.
Sparkle Socks must be proud.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:52 PM

It is funny that the climate change group was started in 2019 when the COE declared a climate emergency. Worked within that budget but did not have approval from citizens for this and never presented what it would cost.

Now 2024 --- group has grown, no responsibility on where massive amounts of money has gone and the solutions put forward --- increase taxes or cut the police budget.

This group had input into the bus fiasco plus other dumb ideas.

Private sector -- revenues go down, costs go up --- departments that are marginal or not showing benefits are cut. This council and the administration need to start running like a business and be aware of both revenues and cost controls. Keep items that are core and essential --- cut the add on's that are costing with no direct benefits to municiapl core services.

Next up the finance department --- how in the heck can a finance department that is responsible for forward looking budgets be surprised by the increase in fuel ---- Trudeau has hit both the pumps and the large producers with separate carbon taxes and GST on top of each ---- how did they miss this --- or --- the contract negotiations?

Yet in Sohi's world this all was caused either by previous administrations / councils or the province and there is nothing he can do.

Incompetent Leadership
Old 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
It is funny that the climate change group was started in 2019 when the COE declared a climate emergency. Worked within that budget but did not have approval from citizens for this and never presented what it would cost.

Now 2024 --- group has grown, no responsibility on where massive amounts of money has gone and the solutions put forward --- increase taxes or cut the police budget.

This group had input into the bus fiasco plus other dumb ideas.

Private sector -- revenues go down, costs go up --- departments that are marginal or not showing benefits are cut. This council and the administration need to start running like a business and be aware of both revenues and cost controls. Keep items that are core and essential --- cut the add on's that are costing with no direct benefits to municiapl core services.

Next up the finance department --- how in the heck can a finance department that is responsible for forward looking budgets be surprised by the increase in fuel ---- Trudeau has hit both the pumps and the large producers with separate carbon taxes and GST on top of each ---- how did they miss this --- or --- the contract negotiations?

Yet in Sohi's world this all was caused either by previous administrations / councils or the province and there is nothing he can do.

Incompetent Leadership
Sohi couldn’t make money from a lemonade stand if he was given free lemons, water and sugar. He’d want a hand out from the feds.

This incompetent politician needs to be shown the door along with every other councillor. They’re all useless as a carbon tax is to stopping climate change.

BW
Old 04-16-2024, 06:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well ya gotta pay for Mcjesus to stay in Edmonton so here you are

Make it an even 10% until a cup is won.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-16-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well ya gotta pay for Mcjesus to stay in Edmonton so here you are

Make it an even 10% until a cup is won.
Hitting the bottle a little early, no?
Old 04-16-2024, 07:55 AM

It’s certainly a frustration that the City seems unable to produce proper forecasts. As noted by some others, it’s been no secret that numerous union bargaining units would be coming up for negotiations. EPS, CSU, next IAFF and CUPE. All took fairly minimal (if any) increases the last few years and after recent inflationary pressures it was clear offers of 5% wouldn’t cut it. Not allocating dollars for this is a bargaining tool itself, but administration and Council still need to plan their finances accordingly and prepare themselves.

Frankly, I hope the majority of Council is turfed after this election. There has been zero imagination or alternative solutions really looked at aside from yearly property tax increases. You cannot tell me there aren’t numerous programs and services being provided by the City that cannot be axed, or if not at least put on some sort of hold.

One of the worst offenders has been the Blatchford project. City admin has been selling Council (and city citizens as a whole) a pie in the sky dream that has missed every single metric they’ve ever proposed to Council. It’s telling that rather than setup a development corporation, like Canada Lands, or U of A Property Trust, or Calgary Municipal Land Corporation, the City of Edmonton continues to believe they’re the smartest person in the room and insists on redeveloping land like Baltchford in-house. At this point, I’m guessing they want to keep it buried within the bureaucracy to hide the fact it’s been a revenue blackhole since inception and has so far likely cost taxpayers tens of millions.

Or another bad example: the Coliseum. Why City admin is so hell bent on demolishing the structure, which is going to cost $40m despite legitimate interest from groups with workable plans to save the structure is beyond me.

I guess if Edmonton could get an equivalent $330m in arena infrastructure and demo costs covered also, that’d make it all a lot easier to deal with. Then again, that’d mean the UCP would have to do something for Edmonton, which they never will unless absolutely necessary.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:53 AM

You know it is beyond bad when even the socialists on the board are condemning Edmonton City Council.