Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-29-2023, 07:53 AM

Default How to repair the fabric on a pop up blind

Hi: Does anyone have a repair suggestion for a torn fabric blind? Apparently, a whitetail was rubbing his antlers near the blind and it cut the fabric. The straight tear is about 16 inches long.

I tried duct tape, but it fell off.

Hoopi
Old 09-29-2023, 08:08 AM

Needle and thread would be the best .
You could also just use goop . Home-depo and Canadian tire have it made for doing stuff like that .
Old 09-29-2023, 08:24 AM

I used a folding chair storage bag, cut a patch out of it, used fabric glue (speed sew), placed some heavy items on the repair and allowed it to dry. Seemed to work well and that particular material allowed for some flex and it seems fairly durable.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:34 AM

Needle and thread, then cover stitching with Goop, or Shoe Goo, to strengthen and keep thread from breaking down.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopi View Post
Hi: Does anyone have a repair suggestion for a torn fabric blind? Apparently, a whitetail was rubbing his antlers near the blind and it cut the fabric. The straight tear is about 16 inches long.

I tried duct tape, but it fell off.

Hoopi

Couple good suggestions already-you can get tent repair patches IIRC Coghlans had a set, or fabric store (then you might source camo) and goop.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-29-2023, 10:17 AM

Depending on the nature of the material, a series of iron on patches from the backside of the tear.

These are available at sewing stores, and used to be at Walmart as well as the former Campers Village. The sheets I have are tan brown, and about 8 inches square. The key is a hot iron and leave the patch until it is fully cool to bond to the fabric.

Wall Tent has a number of small patches from cinder burns from the chimney over the years. Patches have held on very well!

Drewski
Old 09-29-2023, 11:58 AM

I tore a thin, gortex fabric rain jacket on a fishing trip some 10 years ago; about the same length of tear.. The only tape available for a repair was the red Tuck Tape used for sealing water barriers on buildings. The original patch is still holding, without any sign of fatigue.

I would clean the fabric, make sure its dry, and use this tape along the tear on the inside, with a cross-strip at each end.

Vic
Old 10-01-2023, 04:40 PM

Tenacious tape may do the trick!
Old 10-01-2023, 06:57 PM

Default maybe

Duct Tape ? maybe
Old 10-01-2023, 07:17 PM

Make sure it is completely dry and use this.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/gor...ape/1000762658

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-01-2023, 07:20 PM

I would do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Needle and thread, then cover stitching with Goop, or Shoe Goo, to strengthen and keep thread from breaking down.
Old 10-01-2023, 07:33 PM

Go to your local RV parts store and buy two feet of the demon tape they sell to repair trailer underbelly tenplast. It’s fiber reinforced, crazy tough and sticks like you know what to an army blanket. I used it to repair my ATV cover and it has held up for a couple years.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:35 PM

Played the fix blind game for a couple years now and speedy so worked good with patches. If you are trying to fix your blind cause of rips the blind itself is probly weathered and it’s just goin to continue to rip and tear. Save a couple hundred bucks a start with a new one would be my suggestion. They only last so long.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:07 PM

Default repair?

Please put the blind back in exactly the same spot so you can shoot that buck? Wait, maybe move it a few paces away.....

Good luck!
Vance
Old 10-05-2023, 02:31 PM

They have (or used to) these patches of various length in most decent camping stores. Sticks to almost any material, including silnylon, which isn’t the easiest material to work with as far as stickiness goes. Will surely work on a blind.

Incidentally, I am working on something on one of my tents that was patched up this way about 15 years ago and it still looks the same as when I did it then.

The way it works is you slap one on the outside and another on the inside of your tent/blind. You can clearly see the outlines of both on the first image above. This one is 8 inches, but, like I said, they have them in different length and sizes. I’d probably go this route.

The other option, depending on the material, like others mentioned is thread and needle. Cover the inside or outside of the seam with what has already been mentioned or, maybe even better, flowable silicone (windshield/glass silicone) to seal if concerned with waterproofing. The latter is $10 at Canadian Tire:

Old 10-06-2023, 07:52 AM

Default Thank you

Hi Everyone: I appreciate all your suggestions,

Thank you,

Hoopi
Old 11-06-2023, 06:38 PM

A wife with a good sewing machine and the ambition to do the sewing
shoot where their
going not where they been,