Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-13-2007, 09:06 AM
stubblejumper

Default further mrx range results

I had the opportunity to do some more testing with the 140gr mrx and the results are that one of my 7mmstw rifles is averaging 5/8" groups,but the other is not nearly as good at around 1",and not nearly as consistent.Velocities were 3450fps for one rifle and 3475fps for the other.At this point,I have decided that I will use this bullet in one rifle but not in the other,as it just hasn't shown the consistency that I demand.Now it's just a matter of fine tuning the load for the one rifle.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:22 AM

good to hear how are the groups compared to your tsx loads? I've been thinking of trying out the mrx myself
Regards Tony
Old 07-13-2007, 10:08 AM
stubblejumper

I have not tried both the tsx and the mrx in the same gun,so I have no direct comparison.However,both of my 7mmstw rifles average 1/2" with the 140gr ballistic tip.The groups did tighten up slightly as I increased the powder charge,so the mrx may match the ballistic tip in one rifle once the fine tuning is done.I am going to try increasing the powder charge one more grain on my next range session.The 180gr tsx averages 5/8" in my 300ultramags,while the 180gr ballistic tips average 1/2",so in all cases the tsx and mrx are very close to being the most accurate bullet in all of my rifles.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:41 PM

I'd like to here on how it does at longer ranges if you get a chance. I don't really think it will shoot any more than an inch or 2 flatter at over 400 yards but I may be wrong. What would make you want to change to an mrx if you get such good groups with the Nosler? What speed difference are you geting betwwen the 2 types of bullets?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:34 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
What would make you want to change to an mrx if you get such good groups with the Nosler?
I am very comfortable using the 140gr ballistic tip on deer,pronghorn and bighorn,but for elk and moose ,I want more penetration especially when heavy bones are struck.

Quote:
What speed difference are you geting betwwen the 2 types of bullets?
So far,both bullets are producing nearly identical velocities with the same powder charge in one rifle,and about 50 fps more with the mrx in the rifle that does not group as well.On my next trip to the range,I will be adding one grain to the mrx and if it shoots well with no pressure signs,that will be my hunting load.I expect right around 3500fps by adding another grain of powder,which will match my maximum load with the noslers.
Once my load is finalized,I will check it at 200 to 500 yards to verify the trajectory.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:41 PM

Thanks for posting the results. I want to know how it does for trajectory at long range. Please keep us posted.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
I am very comfortable using the 140gr ballistic tip on deer,pronghorn and bighorn,but for elk and moose ,I want more penetration especially when heavy bones are struck.

I'll reccomend the Accubond (140gr or 160gr) for your 7mmSTW for elk/moose, plus all the other smaller animals. I use 140gr AB's in my 270WSM's on elk, moose, bear, deer and 180gr AB's out of my 300WM.

The Accubonds performance (accuarcy at the range and performance on big game) has me sold and I traded my new TSX bullets in 140gr for my 270WSM's and 150gr & 165 in 30 caliber for more Accubonds in 270 cal. since they were hard to find at a few dealers.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:27 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I'll reccomend the Accubond (140gr or 160gr) for your 7mmSTW for elk/moose, plus all the other smaller animals.
I have seen the 140gr accubond used on elk and moose with good results,however the 140gr tsx produced even more impressive results on elk and moose.For that reason,I am going to try the mrx.