Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-12-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Loading in 300WSM

I am going to take advantage of all the knowledge being passed around this forum. I started hand loading when I purchased one of the first Browning A bolt II's (in a stainless stalker) to arrive in Edmonton chambered in the 300WSM. At first I did it just because of the availablity of Ammunition....but I quickly learnt there is an extra bonus in terms of the feeling you get when you shoot your first tight group on paper with your own loads, and even a bigger bonus with the feeling of taking an animal with your own brew....

I don't know a whole lot when it comes to this new found passion, but for the past few years I have enjoyed it and I am the first in my circle of friends to do it...so the conversation is limited. So, that being said....

what are some of your guy's favorite combinations in regard to the 300WSM...I know half the fun is experimenting...but any information is good information when it comes to utilizing all at your finger tips to find that "magic" combination....
Old 07-12-2007, 10:26 PM

Current load I use is Winchester Brass, Reloader 19, federal 215 and 180 TSX. Start your powder charges with what the manuals say and work up from there. Not sure what the velocity is, but it shoots right at 1/2 MOA.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:14 AM

Well your in it now, there's no going back.
Reloading that is.
It is a very satisfyting, and addicting hobby.
I've had a 300 WSM for about 4 or 5 years now, in a Left Hand Savage 11FL.
What amazed me with my rifle is how easy it all came together WRT finding the magic loading. I was amazed to find it just went from great to simply amazing.
I finally settled on 66.5gr of H4350, in a Winchester case and a CCI 250 primer, and a 165gr. Hornady Interbond.
The load clocks out at a reasonable 3140fps.
Also had good luck with the same bullet and 67.5gr IMR 4350 and another good load was 68.5gr IMR 4831.
Good luck in your new found obsession and hobby.
BTW:
Make sure you reduce any loads posted by at least 10% and work back up, they are safe in my rifle but yours could be a horse of another color.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-13-2007, 06:21 AM

I will not post my load info for my 300WSM becuase it has a 30" Macfee barrel and a custom thorat for shooting high B.C. bullets out to 1,00+ meters.
The bullets I use are target bullets of 190 - 210 grains, rebated boat tails, so the data would be of no use to most shooters here.
I will tell you thatt the 300WSM is so close to thje 300 mag that the differences are purely a personal choice.
Cat
Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the info....

I here what your saying about the 300 vs 300WSM....I personally like the feel of the 300WSM (I have owned both) I love the shorter action, and pack worrthiness of the shorter barrel....and in terms of performance (like mentioned) I haven't noticed any significant difference....except (due to weight) my 300WSM packs a bigger punch!

Before I started loading, I had always been a huge Nosler Partition fan. I found that its performance in terms of putting down game was one of the most reliable bullet's around... when I started reloading, I was having a lot of trouble finding the a combination that seemed to give me consistent results....at 100yrds my best combination gave me about a 1.5"MOA; and to get that....I needed a shoulder replacment. From people I had talked to, they said for the Nosler Partition that was acceptible.

Since then I have loaded the both Nosler Ballistic Tips, and the Accubond....and Let me tell you from the performance of the accubond in the field last year...I am sold on it....it just seems to be a great combination of a bullet that has a good BC and some stopping (penetration) power.....an all around bullet. Last year I loaded 150 gr.

Problem I have had so far is "the magic combination". I found a reciepe that did well on paper, 1/2" MOA @ 100yrds....but according to the data tables it should have been doing over 3150 fps, which I have heard may be a little fast for hunting applications???

This year I want to try loading the 165gr accubond....What kind of speeds should I be looking at for hunting appplications? Unlike the Nosler Partitions...I should be able to achieve nice tight MOA's, right?

Also, how do you really know when you are approaching unsafe loads? I have always stayed @ least 5% under the maximum in the data tables up to this point.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:59 AM

nothing wrong with 3150fps. I was doing 3180 with my 150's in my 300 win mag and never had a problem shooting hornady interlocks. Even killed a few moose with it. I now shoot a 7mmstw at 3470fps and it is fast but with the right bullet it is no problem. I use 140's with that one. Barnes bullet