Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 AM

Thumbs up Range Report

Picked up all my supplies on Friday.

130 TSX BT for the 270 Weatherby and 140 TSX BT for the 7mm STW. Loaded 15 bullets for each one. 5 diffrent powder charges three bullets each. Then headed on down the the range to see what i could do. Several of the loads were quite tight on the STW but i chose the tightest one. Found one that is acceptable in the weatherby. Felt the weatherby will shoot petter with a cold barrel, was a little hot for trial run. Should be able to tighten it up some more by just adjusting COAL. In all I am impressed with both loads and know that I will likely be the limiting factor when it comes to shooting and not the load. Heres the pics to prove up.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:59 AM

Post your targets from your next 3, 3shot groups with the same loads, that will give all of us a true picture of the rifles capabilities.
One 3 shot group is meaningless. you could simply by fluke pound 3 into the same hole, but 3, 3 shot groups spread over diffrent days is a real indicator.
None the less your on to something keep cranken on er.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-25-2007, 02:28 PM

Thumbs up

Look who's talking! HAR HAR HAR!

Ol' dead-eye Dick would hit the bull's-eye with one shot, miss with the other two and then caper about like some hairy-arsed gibbon crowing about what a great group he got.

Whatsamatter Skinbag? The new kid on the block got ya nervous? Perhaps the Fluke Gods have forsaken you?

Looks like younger, bigger dogs are moving in to eat your lunch, and I for one heartily approve!

I would do it myself, were I so inclined....

Darn fine shooting Wthby! That is shooting worthy of The Ferguson Rifleman himself!

I keep two magnums in my desk.
One is a gun that I keep loaded.
The other is a bottle of booze that keeps me loaded!
Old 06-25-2007, 05:56 PM

Fergy:
Your looking like a spiteful little man suffering from an affliction.
I've on very rare occasions (actually when you don't jam tart out) seen you shoot anthing close to what this feller did in these pics.
I encouraged this shooter to make another foray to the range and double check his results to see if they mirror the first event.
To make claims as to true rifle accuracy on a one time event is much like a blind squirrel finding a nut. It happens every once in a while but more times than not it does'nt proove to productive.
As for finding nuts, well we found you have'nt we.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 PM

Hey Fergy....where did you place in provincal aggregate last year?

I bet you figure you could teach Dick how to shoot eh? I bet you wouldnt show up.....

Maybe teach him how to fly? I hear you're good at both......

Last edited by Rackmastr; 06-25-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:59 PM

Well, I guess he can show Dick "how it's done"
at Spruce grove on July 14th.
Word has it there are some shooters coming up from Cowtown that have been known to pound a steel ram or two, and there are at least five shooters heading south that occasionally can put a three shot group together.

Not to mention the host of the shoot , a gentleman who I used to shoot against about 20 years ago .

Cat
Old 06-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Blarney Stone BSer

Fergy, Fergy, Fergy.
If it was'nt for the fact that you have never made it count when it should.
Or is it that you could'nt make it when you should.
Or the fact that you have to learn to keep both feet firmly on the ground.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:10 PM

Sh!t Jimmy(Fergy):
Looks like you've gotta put up or well you know the rest.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-25-2007, 09:16 PM

BTW guys 'n' gals, there ain't no bench rests in rifle rodeos!
You stand on your hind legs and shoot for the most part, with the odd prone and kneeling shot thrown in.
Turning and running targets mixeed with some silhouettes
at Spruce grove.
It's gonna be good!!
cat
Old 06-25-2007, 10:25 PM
-NDN-

Default Fergy?

Fergy?
Could this be the Fergy from the Ferguson Sword and Saddle Shoppe?
I've seen your work and quite frankly man it reminded me of something that was turned out at a Kindergarten craft sale.
Do you still have that Fugly Bombi quad?
Someday you'll grow up and by a real machine, it's ok, we all make mistakes, but lordy I"d have thought you'd have learned by know.

take care my friend.
Siad and Joe. H. say hello.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:53 PM

I am not little. Spiteful maybe...

Dick enjoys a tactical advantage on the range because he refuses to use manly weapons. He goes for bull barrels, high magnification scopes, bench rests and trigger pulls measured in ounces. I go for black powder, my round balls are made of metal, and my sights and nerves are forged from iron. As a result, black powder is anathema to ol' Dick. I would kick his can at archery too but he won't shoot archery anymore because his boobs keep getting caught in the bow string.

Rackmaster, I didn't place in the rifle rodeo circuit because I was wrongfully banned from competing! The officials couldn't tell what stunk worse: my BO or the burnt FFg! I have since been classified as a chemical weapon and forbidden to compete with conventional firearm users. If I attend a Rodeo I must agree to stay in the outhouse during the shoot. Keep that in mind Dick, for obvious reasons. Would you like me to re-fresh your memory on what happened at the last Rodeo when you could not get into the outhouse in time? HAR HAR HAR!!!

Cat, have we met before? I like your sig, and agree whole heartedly. I would like to get into some formal position-type shooting one day.

Blarney, same question...have we met on the range before? If not, I would look forward to it! Do you ever make it up to Edmonton? I shoot at the Sherwood Park Fish & Game range. I am the guy that is constantly gobbing and swabbing the bore of that 54cal stinker that grosses everyone out!

Jeez, NDN, you just wait till ya see what the illegal mexicans are turning out in the Shoppe now! It will make that old stuff look great by comparison! I got Sid cranking out leather wallets for $5.00/hour, and Joe is going to be stamping out license plates and Rifle Rodeo belt buckles for $4.00. Yes, I am still a proud member of the Bomb squad and usually spend my time on the trail towing machines made by Polaris and Honda.

For those of you that don't know me, I am not a good enough shooter to wear belt buckles or rag on the newbies. I seriously expect a thrashing at the next rifle rodeo because to me it is just another shoot. To me the game gets serious in the field, and it is just between me and the deer. I shoot for the same reason I pick on Dick: for fun and amusement! I will try to make the Rodeo in Dreadful this year and hope to meet you all then.

Cheers,

Jim

Old 06-26-2007, 01:09 PM

Heh...good post man...and welcome to the board!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 05:32 PM

Ferguson, I doubt if we have met unless you have shot BP matches in the 80's , or have been up to our Rendezvous.

I don't get south much anymore, except for the rifle rodeos.

Shot some service rifle at spruce grove, and used to rub elbows with the dearly departed John Linville from Westlock when he put on the BR50 matches, and done some hunting down there with Trapper wheeler.
Shot a few Nationals in both black powder and smallbore, but that's it.
Archery?
Been shooting stick bows since '65, currently own a Jack Kempf tournament King
recurve and a Jack Kempf flat bow .

I don't compete in archery Tournaments ( screws up my instinctive aiming).
Cat
Old 06-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Banned

I like this guy..
What a smart ass.

Great sense of humor

Jamie
Old 06-26-2007, 08:23 PM

Cat I haven't seen Jack Kempf in ages. Must be 8 or 9 years now. Do you keep up with him?

Jack not only builds fine bows, he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

I used to go to all the 3-D shoots and had blast. I always enjoyed the sanctioned shoots they had in Dreadful Valley because at one time the turn out for them was huge. The club out there put on a great show in the old days.

They probably still do.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ferguson Rifleman View Post
I used to go to all the 3-D shoots and had blast. I always enjoyed the sanctioned shoots they had in Dreadful Valley because at one time the turn out for them was huge. The club out there put on a great show in the old days.

They probably still do.
Jim, we still put on the shoots. We do one of the sanctioned shoots every other year and that was last year, just doing a fun shoot this year. We average about 90-100 shooters for the sanctioned and 50 -70 for the fun shoots. I missed the shoot last year and will miss it this year, shooting benchrest at Rosebud instead.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ferguson Rifleman View Post
Cat I haven't seen Jack Kempf in ages. Must be 8 or 9 years now. Do you keep up with him?

Jack not only builds fine bows, he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

They probably still do.
Talked to Jack a while back, doing well, if not a bit older!
I have his last year's catalog, he has become somwhat of a stick bow icon over the years.
Builds that best danged bow a man will ever draw.
Years ago when I was brokering bows for him, I was told continually when drawing a different bow " this one is a nice as Jack Kempf's bows" or " this one is better than jack Kempf's bows."
The problem was , they were never faster , smoother or as custom built as a Jack kempf!
Sooo, I concluded, and told him so, that IMHO his bows were the bench mark of custom bows in Canada!
I still believ I am right.....
Sorry for the hijack!
cat
Old 06-27-2007, 10:08 PM
-NDN-

Jacks still in Sherwood Park, doing what he does best. Agreed he has the finest, most smooth Non-Stacking traditional bows out there. But you have to try those Cari-Bows out of Morden Manitoba. Pretty slick but ill still take a Little Grizzly from Jack anyday
Old 06-28-2007, 01:25 AM

Good post Ferg..and you said it " FUN and AMUSEMENT"
The amusement comes in watching you and Dick go at it..in person Do you remember "a very loud" wake up call on a goose shoot ???
The fun part is just being there. Like you I dont win a lot of buckles or trophies, every now and then I might pull a rabbitt out of some bodily orifice but I have a good time just being at a shoot. Come hunting season the freezer is never MT so something must be going right when it comes down toit. My excuse this year....the now 16 hr drive vs the old 1 hr. Hope you can find time to make it down to the range, maybe next year for me.
Just before he shoots...give em an armpit for me
And Dick....I seem to remember Ferg "decorating" a flower bed. His lack of capacity to handle legally controlled liquids is a weak point.
Have "FUN"
Old 06-28-2007, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NDN- View Post
Jacks still in Sherwood Park, doing what he does best. Agreed he has the finest, most smooth Non-Stacking traditional bows out there. But you have to try those Cari-Bows out of Morden Manitoba. Pretty slick but ill still take a Little Grizzly from Jack anyday
No need to go anywhere else when one is already shooting he best!
I've got one of his older bighorn take down flatbows, the first one he made with antler tips.

Cat
Old 06-28-2007, 03:48 PM

Back when I was regularly bending the bow Jack had his own gang of stick-bow outlaws and merry men. They were absolute hell at the 3D shoots. Back then alot of shooters were very serious about the tournaments and they took on the same tone as a major professional golf tournament. Some of those guys thought they were the Tiger Woods of the archery world, and demanded complete silence so that they could focus all their mental energy on their shot.

By contrast the stick bow guys never quit laughing. They were raucous and noisy and drove the serious 3D wankers nuts with their jokes and noise.

My arch enemy on the 3D course was Byron Koobasaw. He was a flawless shot and I swore by all that was holy that one day I was going to rub his nose in it. We were shooting with the serious knobs, Byron and I were neck and neck and I was within micrometers of showing him my heels on the scorecard.

The stick bow guys were joking and gibbering in the group behind us when I stepped up for the last shot of the day. Byron had an arrow dead centre in the kill zone and I was going to nock that arrow and hopefully bu**er up his fancy easton carbon/aluminum ACC arrow. It was a gimme shot too. I couldn't miss if I tried.

I remember coming to a full draw. I remember the front sight settling on Byron's arrow nock as steady as a rock. I remember my finger starting to caress the release.

I remember hearing a groaning, straining grunt from the group behind me. I remember the loudest, longest blathering fart ever cut in the history of mankind from the stick bow guys. I laughed, by release went off and my arrow went high and I got robbed! I almost came unglued trying to laugh and weep at the same time.

I never did beat Byron Koobasaw (although I thrashed Dick 284- many times). And I never did get even with those damned stick bow guys.

As I get older I realize that some scores are best not kept, and still others are best left unsettled. I have gotten good at recognizing these too with advancing age.

I might have to mosie on down to Dreadful for their next turkey shoot and hopefully meet some of the old crowd there. I have been away for far too long. This time, though....I am gonna pig out on beans, sauerkraut, chile and boiled cabbage before I go.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Smile

Quote:
. . .my finger starting to caress the release.

I remember hearing a groaning, straining grunt. . .
Fergie, you are wasting your time on this forum, you should be writing romance novels or something!

Interesting dialogue . . .

"It is not the shirt on the man, but rather the man in the shirt"
Old 06-29-2007, 08:57 PM

this post got a little off topic but hey thats fine with me. planning on heading back to the range. (wife is working the weekend so free time for me) gonna see if i can come thru Dick284. plan on putting 12 on paper. if it turns out like #$%T you likely will not see my next post. just kidding i will post either way. also gonna play with seating depths on the 270wthby and see if i can get it tighter.

wthby
Old 06-30-2007, 07:19 PM

well today was a bust, see if i can go tommorow as long as it isnt raining or something like that.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 PM

Thumbs up updated

well managed to get out today a bang away abit first off did a few rounds with the stw. i think this will work. no hole in one Dick284 but darn close on a few. i think it is me more than the gun. anyways enjoy.

1 (2).jpg 2 (2).JPG 3 (2).JPG

4 (2).JPG

wthby
Old 07-11-2007, 09:34 PM

Default update part 2

also managed to play a bit with the weatherby. tried three diffrent seating depths. two are basically the same and the third... well i wont be using it. good info though none the less.

82.5 (2).JPG 84 (2).JPG 85 (2).JPG

wthby
Old 07-11-2007, 11:01 PM

Awesome with the STW. What are you using for powder and how much? I have 82 gr of RL22 in mine. You should have droped by and grabed the chronograph while you were going out.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:19 AM

It's a keeper I say, a keeper.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-12-2007, 07:50 AM

nube, i was gonna phone but i was in a rush, i actually really wanted to get the wthby naild down. i plan on going to the long range here within the next 10 days so i might take you up on that one.

i am using 140 TSX BT with Fed 215GM, and 81 grains of 7828. overall is as per barnes tech recommendations (on web site) i tried varying the load by 1 grain down to 77. all but one of the loads shot very tight so i opted for the max, as no signs of pressure or badness were observed.

thanks Dick... i knew it was a keeper, just had to put it on paper

wthby