Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2017, 03:30 PM

Default Electric motors only lakes

Unsure of the regs regarding these lakes. If a person has a electric trolling motor and a gas motor on their boat can they still access these lakes with the gas motor still on their boat. Someone told me it is illegal because I have a gas motor attached even though I am not using it. A little confused
Old 04-11-2017, 03:31 PM

There was a thread about this a while back. No go from what i remember. You can search it out if need be.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:41 PM

No you cannot have a gas motor on a boat on the a body of water that is in the regs as electric motors only!
Old 04-11-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Bobby View Post
No you cannot have a gas motor on a boat on the a body of water that is in the regs as electric motors only!
X2

First,last Ricky Bobby.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:45 PM

NO go on the gas. Most the lakes that are electric only are usually trout ponds that would be difficult to launch any good sized boat in.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:00 PM

Guys are at local lake that is heavily policed with their gas motors in the air all the time. I know for a fact that guys have been checked for licence etc. and never given a ticket. Not sure if it illegal though, just my observations.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Banned

I think it depends on the F/W officer you talk to. I phoned 2 years ago and was told as long as the prop did not go in the water it was fine. On the same thread others said they were told they could not have a gas motor on the boat. I have not checked lately but unless they changed the wording I believe it says you can only use an electric, it does not say you can not have a gas motor on the boat.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I think it depends on the F/W officer you talk to. I phoned 2 years ago and was told as long as the prop did not go in the water it was fine. On the same thread others said they were told they could not have a gas motor on the boat. I have not checked lately but unless they changed the wording I believe it says you can only use an electric, it does not say you can not have a gas motor on the boat.
Perfectly legal to have the gas motor on the boat still as long as it's not in the water. See it all the time. I would hinknot best to keep the cover on as to avoid any confusion.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:18 PM

Leave the gas at home and have the leg out of the water(maybe even wrapped up with plastic/garbage bag etc).

If it is obvious that the motor cannot be used and will not be leaking any oil etc into the pond/lake then I do not see how you could get a ticket.

If you have the leg in the water or gas on board then I could see it being a discretionary situation and depending on CO may or may not get into trouble.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:35 AM

I've seen boats at Bullshead with the gas motor out of the water, I don't agree with it, they could still leak fuel.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:17 PM

So i am curious,if you can't have a gas mtr. with the leg out of the water.Then would it then not be pertinent to say.NO GAS Augers on an electric mtrs. only lake...Right..
Old 04-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
So i am curious,if you can't have a gas mtr. with the leg out of the water.Then would it then not be pertinent to say.NO GAS Augers on an electric mtrs. only lake...Right..
I believed it was that way about the gas augers not being allowed on no gas motors lakes as it is a gas motor,but I don't ice fish.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:32 PM

I take my gas motor off when fishing in lakes that are electric only . the battier lasts a lot longer I found
Old 04-12-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Also driving quads, side by sides and trucks on the ice in winter?????
Old 04-12-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
Also driving quads, side by sides and trucks on the ice in winter?????
X2
Old 04-12-2017, 04:20 PM

I would guess most of these lakes have restrictions on them because they are popular and small. Motor boats would cause wakes, and in the case of no Motor lakes I know of, they are very small, and even electric motors could cause overcrowding. Not sure if pollution works into the equation.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-12-2017, 04:42 PM

Default Electric motors only lakes

Interesting that I read this thread as I was fishing at Bullshead today and my buddy called. He said that his brother has an aluminum boat with a gas motor on it and he phoned fish and wildlife and they told him as long as he doesn't put the gas motor in the water it was legal. If you're unsure give the fish and wildlife a call and confirm!