Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 PM

Default Overhead gun rack in vehicles question

I did a search on google and didn't come up with anything stating "Alberta" and searched this forum as well with no luck... So here it is, I hope someone can help. I bird hunt during the fall, and often enough I'm driving some old roads and what not with my shotgun on the back seat ( unloaded obviously) and ill see a ruffy strolling across the road, and you know what goes on next... Pull over, jump out, into the back, leaning seats forward etc etc etc... Sometimes I have a buddy with me in the passenger seat, same deal, with two guns on the back seat... So I'm looking at overhead gun racks for my vehicle. Does anybody know any laws, or rules in alberta that I'm unaware of that may say I can't install a gun rack in my vehicle? Or specifically an over head rack? I should mention its only for hunting. Once I leave the bush it always goes into its case, trigger lock on, out of sight. Any input to the legality of this would be great! Thanks guys!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:08 PM

Overhead gun racks, with the rough roads in Alberta? Better wear a helmet.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:39 PM

It's not overhead but would this work? http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/sto...FQVgMgodUVoABg

Use the straps to secure it over the headrests on either the front or back seat.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 AM

I have one in my truck, nothing illegal about them. I got the adjustable big-sky rack from cabelas and it works very well
Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 AM

Default good to go!

NO problem with gunracks while in the act of hunting. Only issue is storage, in which case like you stated, locked and out of sight in an unattended vehicle.
I would promote the overhead,v.s. the old "back-window" style, just for the sake of "after-hour shoppers". The back-window rack might seem like an advertisement to some that guns are in the vehicle. Even if they're not left locked up in the vehicle, it may be a temptation for some bottom-feeding low-life to smash a window and investigate.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 AM

I helped a friend install one once, ended up going to fabric land and found a material that matched his interior, just did a couple velcro strips on the fabric so it could roll out and cover it, but still be quick for accessing and it really helped keeping outside eyes from noticing anything while looking in.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Thanks guys! I believe I'll get one now. And thanks for the link Rod but I'm looking at avoiding going behind the seat. There's a lot out there, I'm eye balling one that runs the guns front to back between the driver and passenger seats, over head.