Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 PM

Default Soviet SVT's

For the longest time I've had extreme interests in soviet WW2 weapons, especially the semi automatic SVT. I am wondering if any of you have a SVT and how it preforms? I'm currently looking at one with a 6 port muzzle brake on it and probably an 880 round brick of soviet steelcore 7.62x54R.

I've heard unlike the SKS this rifle requires a lot of cleaning (I do clean my SKS!) and is a lot more complex in operation.

I am also wondering how 7.62x54R kicks? I've heard a day with a mosin negant leads to one hell of a shoulder ache due to the wooden stock and steel butt plate, and since they are the same cal I figure they are probably simular (minus the energy put into cycling the action).

Last edited by ToXicXxX; 03-03-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Banned

I love my SVT40. It has the older style 6 port muzzle brake. I can shoot it all day long without hurting my shoulder like I would with my Mosin Nagant or even my SKS. That muzzle brake really does work. However it is very loud, and even with hearing protection, it does numb the ears.

You can adjust the gas on it, however I have not had a need to do so. As for cleaning it, I clean it just as I do my other guns that shoot corrosive ammo. I have not had any issues with it.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
I love my SVT40. It has the older style 6 port muzzle brake. I can shoot it all day long without hurting my shoulder like I would with my Mosin Nagant or even my SKS. That muzzle brake really does work. However it is very loud, and even with hearing protection, it does numb the ears.

You can adjust the gas on it, however I have not had a need to do so. As for cleaning it, I clean it just as I do my other guns that shoot corrosive ammo. I have not had any issues with it.
Is it possible to get more magazines for it? And did yours have the integral rail for a PU scope? I'm curious what you use for hearing protection, I wear MSA Sorodins and I can hardly hear most guns firing at all.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX View Post
Is it possible to get more magazines for it? And did yours have the integral rail for a PU scope? I'm curious what you use for hearing protection, I wear MSA Sorodins and I can hardly hear most guns firing at all.
Yes mine has the rail. I have a set of custom molded in ear plugs. When I shoot the SVT I also put on a pair of Peltor muffs.

I don't know if it is possible to buy after market magazines for it, but I never even take mine out, as it has a rail for stripper clips.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Yes mine has the rail. I have a set of custom molded in ear plugs. When I shoot the SVT I also put on a pair of Peltor muffs.

I don't know if it is possible to buy after market magazines for it, but I never even take mine out, as it has a rail for stripper clips.
After my buddy lost part of the tip of his thumb to a stripper clip on an SKS this week I am never using them again haha
Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
After my buddy lost part of the tip of his thumb to a stripper clip on an SKS this week I am never using them again haha
How did that happen? his bolt worn?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
How did that happen? his bolt worn?
Brand new rifle (technically mine), the clip fits perfectly fine into the notch, but he was pushing incredibly hard and next thing I know I hear a "oh !@$% that hurt", look over and the nickel brass is coated in blood. It would appear that when the rounds finally gave and pushed into the magazine his thumb struck part of the clip with enough force to take skin off.

Im more of a magazine kind of guy now Mind you these AI mags are a whole different level of hell...
Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Brand new rifle (technically mine), the clip fits perfectly fine into the notch, but he was pushing incredibly hard and next thing I know I hear a "oh !@$% that hurt", look over and the nickel brass is coated in blood. It would appear that when the rounds finally gave and pushed into the magazine his thumb struck part of the clip with enough force to take skin off.

Im more of a magazine kind of guy now Mind you these AI mags are a whole different level of hell...
Sounds like he has no idea what he was doing. There is no need to be forceful pushing rounds into the magazine. My son has been able to do this since he was 9, and he still has all his fingers.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Sounds like he has no idea what he was doing. There is no need to be forceful pushing rounds into the magazine. My son has been able to do this since he was 9, and he still has all his fingers.
Wouldn't put it past my buddy, his first time using the rifle.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:21 PM

Good friend of mine loves to hate his SVT
Rifle shoots best when it's quite dirty... Groups start to close up after 50-60rnds... About that time his wallet starts to hurt so he stops... And cleans it... Sigh...
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
Good friend of mine loves to hate his SVT
Rifle shoots best when it's quite dirty... Groups start to close up after 50-60rnds... About that time his wallet starts to hurt so he stops... And cleans it... Sigh...
Wallet hurts? Is he shooting non surplus? I know you can get a good 880 rounds for 300 bucks or less!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Wallet hurts? Is he shooting non surplus? I know you can get a good 880 rounds for 300 bucks or less!
Nah he's just cheap.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
Nah he's just cheap.
Hah. Gotta spend money to... Er... Have fun.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:54 PM

I got one last week from SFRC online . $489 with a crate of ammo. aside from the mag this one is in mint cond. On saturday i was able to hit small coffee cans at 100yrds , I am impressed ! . Also as mentioned wear good ear protection. right away i had feeding issues but all were solved by adjusting the gas nut and also by leaving the bolt/carrier a bit dry . this rifle has a bit more parts than an sks and cleaning was a bit of a pain . fluted chambers help with extraction but puts black soot all over mag/chamber . surprisingly it only kicks a bit more than an SKS .
Old 03-03-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88thunderbird View Post
I got one last week from SFRC online . $489 with a crate of ammo. aside from the mag this one is in mint cond. On saturday i was able to hit small coffee cans at 100yrds , I am impressed ! . Also as mentioned wear good ear protection. right away i had feeding issues but all were solved by adjusting the gas nut and also by leaving the bolt/carrier a bit dry . this rifle has a bit more parts than an sks and cleaning was a bit of a pain . fluted chambers help with extraction but puts black soot all over mag/chamber . surprisingly it only kicks a bit more than an SKS .
SFRC eh. Do they let you pick year of manufacture and include a sling and all that good stuff? I was look at them on frontier arms.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:07 PM

on the order form you can put down year of preferance . i asked for 1941 or 45 with 6 port muzzle break. rifle only came with ammo pouch , cleaning attachments , No multi takedown tool ,no sling i'll have to find one later .
Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
on the order form you can put down year of preferance . i asked for 1941 or 45 with 6 port muzzle break. rifle only came with ammo pouch , cleaning attachments , No multi takedown tool ,no sling i'll have to find one later .
Sling is no biggy, I'll take it off the SKS. How are they for shipping live ammo cost wise? I'm not the biggest fan of $100 in shipping costs for quick delivery.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:18 PM

I believe this combo came to my door via UPS for $557.00 .
Old 03-03-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I believe this combo came to my door via UPS for $557.00 .
Ouch! Still not as bad as the 504 before shipping and tax that frontier is quoting. Do they offer canpar? I recall them being super cheap.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am also wondering how 7.62x54R kicks? I've heard a day with a mosin negant leads to one hell of a shoulder ache due to the wooden stock and steel butt plate, and since they are the same cal I figure they are probably simular (minus the energy put into cycling the action).
Kick?

Pfft... its no worse than any average 30 cal.

I've never used a sissy cushion in my life unless the rifle arrived with one.

If positioned correctly... you should be able to shoot 7.62 x 54R all day for days on end without discomfort... like about a million Russian soldiers both men and women... with minimal training.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Kick?

Pfft... its no worse than any average 30 cal.

I've never used a sissy cushion in my life unless the rifle arrived with one.

If positioned correctly... you should be able to shoot 7.62 x 54R all day for days on end without discomfort... like about a million Russian soldiers both men and women... with minimal training.
Lost it at sissy cushion hahaha. I haven't really experienced uncomfortable kick in anything but larger 12g loads.