Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
It does not matter Cal

Can you say no heavy metals when you feed your family or friends I don't think so...but I can.
Nope, and I dont realy care. What I'm saying is whatever the bullet leaves in there isnt going to hurt anyone. I can think of a few ocasions where I ingested #7 lead shot pelets, whatever residue my bullet leaves in the animal does not concern me in the least.

I guess if your of the mentality that merely edaquate penetration is not good enough, you need superior penetration... then your logic on heavy metal content makes sense. To someone who doesnt buy into that logic on any lever it is a moot point.

I feed my family meat that contains tape worm cysts on ocasion, maby to you that makes me a bad person. If it doesnt hurt anyone what do you care what I do? I shoot Fusion, my animals die quick deaths and my family suffers no ill effects. Congratulations on your success/ fettish with Barnes, enjoy the artical and give yourself a big pat on the back.

Last edited by Cal; 03-02-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 PM

Default heavey metals in food

Quote:

If you are eating food you are ingesting some heavey metals. They occur naturally everywhere even in your none gmo organic food.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 PM

Just going back to my original post, the residue I was referring to was that which is left in the chamber and barrel which could affect groupings - not what may or may not end up in an animal.

Just my opinion, but I don't see lead being a big issue in game since it comprises such a small portion of my diet. It may be true that no amount of lead is considered safe, but I'll worry about my Jamison's intake in camp before I lose sleep over that.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Just going back to my original post, the residue I was referring to was that which is left in the chamber and barrel which could affect groupings - not what may or may not end up in an animal.

Just my opinion, but I don't see lead being a big issue in game since it comprises such a small portion of my diet. It may be true that no amount of lead is considered safe, but I'll worry about my Jamison's intake in camp before I lose sleep over that.
I have not noticed any excess barrel residue and the groupings during prolonged range sessions are about as consistant as anything else. Once again if that were true why would they be good for shooting paper, where the volume of shots sent down the barrel is far greater?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
It does not matter Cal

Can you say no heavy metals when you feed your family or friends I don't think so...but I can.
Judge people much?

LC
Old 03-03-2013, 09:03 AM

Default Fusion

Federal Fusion ammo is excellent ammo! Speer Deep Curls are the reloader's version! Very good value and excellent performance for the money, usually just a few more dollars than Federal Blue Box!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Judge people much?

LC
I don't , just can't stand that you would recommend to newbies to sprinkle their food with lead.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Banned

The articles on this thread show a result but all studies pro or con have an agenda.
Your belief in this is yours and I believe it’s valid for your world.
In the article it also indicates ways to limit this potential threat, at least it shows compromise, not judgement.

[post #16 contains a link, its one of many that can be found]
Old 03-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I don't , just can't stand that you would recommend to newbies to sprinkle their food with lead.
You might not get lead poisoning, but you might get heart disease from worrying about minutiae. Can you cite any cases of people being diagnosed with health issues related to lead shot game?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Judge people much?

LC
x2
Old 03-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Actualy I encourage them to sprinke their meat with HP sauce, helps the lead laced tapeworm cysts go down a little better.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 PM

Talking lol

..i think some people are.......waiting
Old 03-03-2013, 11:43 PM

Wow and now back to the op I used fusion and had good luck with them, they do come apart and I found I did not get a pass through shot with them much or at all! And I have found with better bullets like the tsx I get pass through and better blood trails and shorter! Just what I have found! The fusions are good and cheap, and I have found out of all the guns I have used them in they shot tight groups! Good luck and shoot strait!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
Wow and now back to the op I used fusion and had good luck with them, they do come apart and I found I did not get a pass through shot with them much or at all! And I have found with better bullets like the tsx I get pass through and better blood trails and shorter! Just what I have found! The fusions are good and cheap, and I have found out of all the guns I have used them in they shot tight groups! Good luck and shoot strait!
Just out of curiosity what bullets are you shooting and out of what type rifle? The only Fusion I have recovered was a 150 grain .270 bullet in a moose, balled up against the hide on the far side. Any deer I have shot was a passthrough, including some fairly steep quartering shots where the bullet went through quite a bit of deer befor exiting. Usualy the exit wounds were on the small side, IMO if anything, from what I've seen, the penetration is a little excessive for deer. This is from using 150 and 130 grain .270 bullets to kill 7 deer and one moose, all except one deer were one shot kills.

Not questioning your esperiences, just curious because they are in stark contrast to my own.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Really? Did I recommend to do that?

STOP putting words in my mouth please....and while you are at it STOP shoving your ideas down everyone's throat....please and thank-you....

LC
Old 03-04-2013, 11:04 AM

So back to Fusions...

I've heard good things but I'm sure that when they came out they were touted as deer rounds. Federal marketed them that way.

On the Federal site I notice that all calibres and weights of Fusions are rated as "Medium Game" rounds up to 7mm Rem mag and 7mm wsm, where they are rated for "large/heavy game". Strangely though, it then reverts back to a "medium game" rating through the .30 calibres including .300 WinMag and even .338 Winmag! Until you step up to a .375 H&H everything BUT the 7mm magnum Fusion rounds are rated for "medium game". I just found that odd.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 AM

I don't know about you fellas (who are concerned about "the lead thing"), but when I'm dressing out my deer I generally remove the bullet before I start eating!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/1911 View Post
I don't know about you fellas (who are concerned about "the lead thing"), but when I'm dressing out my deer I generally remove the bullet before I start eating!
And if your bullet has 100% weight retention you have nothing to worrry about.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:18 PM

Here's my take on it, and I am interested in hearing your thoughts on my reasoning. Let's go slow motion. Your quarry is classic broad side, your shot is true, right behind the shoulder, okay let's include a bit of muscle, but no bone in this scenario, just to simplify things. On impact, the bullet starts to deform, how much depends on several factors such as size of quarry, a coyote offering lighter resistance than an elk, size of bullet, heavier for caliber having thicker jackets (let's stick with cup & core to keep it consistent and simple), and velocity of our bullet upon impact, the faster our bullet is traveling, the more violent the reaction. Let's assume we chose wisely and our bullet performs properly with a classic mushrooming action. As the lead peels back,there will be some dislodgeing of lead particles, even dust perhaps, shrapnel, you might say. This residue would continue through the wound channel and either exit or stop with the bullet on the far side, say against the skin. So we have some lead contamination, but how much and where? Both shoulders, maybe, say a couple shoulder roasts or a couple packages of burger, depending on how you butcher. Would the rest not be in the lungs, possibly the heart? How much will this hurt you? The human body is capable of cleansing and healing itself, I know it can become overwhelmed, but if you generally haven't overly abused your body could it not handle such small matter? What does everybody think?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Just out of curiosity what bullets are you shooting and out of what type rifle? The only Fusion I have recovered was a 150 grain .270 bullet in a moose, balled up against the hide on the far side. Any deer I have shot was a passthrough, including some fairly steep quartering shots where the bullet went through quite a bit of deer befor exiting. Usualy the exit wounds were on the small side, IMO if anything, from what I've seen, the penetration is a little excessive for deer. This is from using 150 and 130 grain .270 bullets to kill 7 deer and one moose, all except one deer were one shot kills.

Not questioning your esperiences, just curious because they are in stark contrast to my own.
I have had similar experience to Cal on penetration. I found it rare to recover the bullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panwojciech View Post
As a kid shooting pellet gun, I kept lead pellets in my mouth, this is the reason I am not the sharpest tool in the shed….

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?A=2700&Q=452732
I've found the fusions to have good accuracy in 140 grain 6.5 55 and 180 grain in 30-06 in my rifles. Because of the lead debate I always trimmed liberally around bullet holes. My children had the better portion of their meat diet taken with these bullets and both are consistently on the honor role. I don't think there is a problem using them for hunting.

Quote:
Are you getting AO Magazine ?

In current issue Dr. Mark Boyce is addressing problem of this residue.
They do create lead residue in your meat so better for shooting paper.
It really is a shame that everything published these days seems to have an agenda based on payed loyalty.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post

This is my experience as well.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 AM

I killed all three of my whitetails this year with 165 gr from my .308. Longest shot being slightly over 300 yards and he dropped in his tacks with a lung shot. They dont lie when they say fusion bullets create a shockwave through the animal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG201.jpg (27.4 KB, 17 views)