Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 PM

Default Federal Fusion

Bought both 150 and 175 today for my 7mm RM. Wasnt much to choose from. I got talking with another guy and he said while accurate, this ammo creates a lot of residue and is better for paper targets than actual hunting. Since I've never used them, what do the masses think?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 PM

I think whoever you were talking too had no idea what they were saying. Fusion bullets are great for hunting and with your 7mm Rem Mag with 150 or 175 gr loads you can hunt anything that Alberta can throw at you.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM

this should be under one of the funny things ya over heard not my top pick for ammo but they work just fine
Old 03-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Pinhead nailed it.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Banned

Creates residue? I'm not sure I understand, they mean in the rifle than why would they be good for paper? If they mean in the animal then they are just plain wrong.

I've used the 150 grainers for moose and deer and 130's for deer in my .270 with excelent results. Judging by the performance I get on deer using the 130's on moose would not be out of the question.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 PM

Used federal fusion in 30-30 for all three deer I took this year. They all were dead. Bought a 270. Shot federal fusions at paper. 3 bullets one hole. Federal fusions are accurate and they kill good. Best of all, are cheap.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Are you getting AO Magazine ?

In current issue Dr. Mark Boyce is addressing problem of this residue.
They do create lead residue in your meat so better for shooting paper.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY

Last edited by Andrzej; 03-01-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:07 PM

I too have nothing but good experiences with Fusion ammunition. I think it represents excellent value.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 PM

Federal Fusion kills big game dead. And has shot well out of any gun ive tried it in. Which i cant say for alot of premium factory ammunition. My .243 shoots the 95 gr federal fusions like its on a rope!!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
Are you getting AO Magazine ?

In current issue Dr. Mark Boyce is addressing problem of this residue.
They do create lead residue in your meat so better for shooting paper.
What a load of crap.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
What a load of crap.
Brown bananas
Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
What a load of crap.
Some people like to eat lead, some don't.....

GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish . . . and he’ll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:00 AM

I have never experienced any excess fouling with either the federal fusions or from handloading Speer Deep curls(identical bullet construction). I don't see why it would foul more, it is just an electroplated copper jacket onto a lead core.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 AM

If they shoot good in your gun use them, if they don't try something else. No need to get any deeper into thought about it than that.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panwojciech View Post
Those "studies" have been very thoroughly discredited by the NRA.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM

As a kid shooting pellet gun, I kept lead pellets in my mouth, this is the reason I am not the sharpest tool in the shed….

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?A=2700&Q=452732

GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish . . . and he’ll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:03 PM

^^^^ Yep. That's exactly the crap that was debunked by the NRA.

Elemental lead is nearly harmless in your system. You have to worry about lead compounds such as lead paint, primers, etc.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM

^^^^^^Your right, this is the reason I am nearly harmless retard…

Old 03-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
And some people make their livelyhood promoting the latest, greatest, and most expensive to the general masses. Some of these people seem to talk out their behind on occasion, about products I am not convinced they have any real experience with, because these people have on ocaision reversed their stance on certain products, or callibers, once they've actualy tryed them. Not mentioning any names.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 PM

I use federal fusion in my 270win, it shoots both the 130gr and 150gr very well but the 150's group just a bit tighter than the 130's. Everything I've had in the scope ended up in the freezer white tail, mule deer and elk. This year I'm going to see what reaction I get from a black bear. I think they are a pretty good bullet.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
And some people make their livelyhood promoting the latest, greatest, and most expensive to the general masses. Some of these people seem to talk out their behind on occasion, about products I am not convinced they have any real experience with, because these people have on ocaision reversed their stance on certain products, or callibers, once they've actualy tryed them. Not mentioning any names.
It is not about promoting the latest, greatest.
And as to expensive ??
Check your bullets prices. 50 CT Accubonds are as expensive as TTSX or GMX.
100 Hornady Interbonds 72$ so 36 for 50 and lead free GMX are 42$ for 50 so it is 6$ more on 50 pieces.
So cost is not a factor.

I am shooting Barnes for 20+ years for their penetration and became aware about lead fragmentation in 2008 and since then I choose to harvest game animals with lead free bullets.

I have real experience with them and posted many photos of those rare cases that they were recovered.

I like my food to be labelled no GMOs no insecticides, no pesticides and NO HAEVY METALS ( lead is one of them )and for being Alberta or Canada made I will pay premium.

Can you say no heavy metals when you feed your family or friends I don't think so...but I can.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
Old 03-02-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Don’t know what you refer to, but smart man changes his mind when presented with convincing facts…

I shoot solid copper for the following reasons:
1. Better penetration then any cup and core bullet.
2. All my guns shoot them accurately.
3. And they are lead free.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Don’t know what you refer to, but smart man changes his mind when presented with convincing facts…

I shoot solid copper for the following reasons:
1. Better penetration then any cup and core bullet.
2. All my guns shoot them accurately.
3. And they are lead free.
1. How much penetration is actualy neccessary?
2. Mine shoot a number of other bullets just as accurately
3. Plenty of us shooting lots of deer with non-monolithic bullets for many years and have not suffered any ill effects.

"If you care about your family you need to shoot Barnes" is a pretty good sales pitch to aim at those who arent falling for the other hype. Pretty sure AO ran a very similar artical a couple years back, most likely from the same author. I havnt switched to WSM's, scopes that cost more than my first car, or any other number of things gun writers need to promote in order to keep the gun nuts buying magazines.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
1. How much penetration is actualy neccessary?
2. Mine shoot a number of other bullets just as accurately
3. Plenty of us shooting lots of deer with non-monolithic bullets for many years and have not suffered any ill effects.

"If you care about your family you need to shoot Barnes" is a pretty good sales pitch to aim at those who arent falling for the other hype. Pretty sure AO ran a very similar artical a couple years back, most likely from the same author. I havnt switched to WSM's, scopes that cost more than my first car, or any other number of things gun writers need to promote in order to keep the gun nuts buying magazines.
It does not matter Cal

Can you say no heavy metals when you feed your family or friends I don't think so...but I can.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
Old 03-02-2013, 04:44 PM

It is not my intension to argue with you. I don’t intend to convince you to switch to monolithic bullets, as long as you happy with cup and core bullets and the ingredients you eat….

Old 03-02-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
It does not matter Cal

Really? Do you know what your primers are made of and what your bore is lined with?

Also, elemental lead is harmless when ingested. Compounds which can enter your blood from ingestion are what are dangerous.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Really? Do you know what your primers are made of and what your bore is lined with?

Also, elemental lead is harmless when ingested. Compounds which can enter your blood from ingestion are what are dangerous.
The primer doesn’t leave the casing, the bullet does. I don’t shoot primers out of my rifles…..

Old 03-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
The primer doesn’t leave the casing, the bullet does. I don’t shoot primers out of my rifles…..

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 PM

As a geology major who has a perticular interest in mineralogy at the University of Calgary I find some of this kind of funny. You people are too concerned with petty issues like this. A lot of you grew up in a time of crocolodite, lead paint, mercury and probably a kings ransom in nicotine. And you are no more mutilated then modern day me. A small trace quantity of elemental lead is no serious threat.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers or **** anyone off, just speaking my mind.

Quote:
But the hot gasses and particle matter in contact with that primer and its contents do, thereby leaving residue on the projectile. Surely you know in this world there are no perfect isolated systems. Objects do interact, no matter how minuscule the interaction. If you also noticed how you can smell after a shot, well, you're actually having small particles contact the inside of your nose, particles of lead, powder, and any other products of firing.

Last edited by ToXicXxX; 03-02-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Residue from the primer gets on everything including the bullet. If you have any doubts about this, fire some corrosively primed ammunition and leave the rifle for a week. Report back on where the rust is

D'oh indeed.