Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 PM

and dalej they were warner rings 30mm
Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 PM

i dont think that bar is better than lapping i think its worse because the rings are not sitting secure where they want to be i think its a backwards approach. if the reciever is not perfectly straight
Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
i dont think that bar is better than lapping i think its worse because the rings are not sitting secure where they want to be i think its a backwards approach. if the reciever is not perfectly straight
If the receiver isn't perfectly straight as you mention, you have mountainous problems. Most issues come from the D&T holes not being aligned with center of bore. Although standard factory mounts come with a counter bore to allow for the screw head, they cannot be adjusted due to the round profile of the receiver which matches that of the mounts. Thus, in such cases lapping between front to rear rings returns concentricity and reduces scope tube stress.

Last edited by gitrdun; 03-01-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
Lapping bars aren't all straight.

Take a scope base and loosen it slightly and see how much side to side movement there is. One idea of the bar is to tighten bases while the rings are held in alignment with each other. Kinda like a rail without having to have the horrid rail.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Precisionshooter

Straight receivers. Part of the key. Good straight inletting. Part of the key.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Lapping bars aren't all straight.

Take a scope base and loosen it slightly and see how much side to side movement there is. One idea of the bar is to tighten bases while the rings are held in alignment with each other. Kinda like a rail without having to have the horrid rail.
Huh? if lapping bars aren't straight, THEN THEY'RE NOT LAPPING BARS. I have the means to measure straightness, meaning machinist V-blocks and dials to a tenth of a thou. How do you measure this? And I couldn't careless how you hold the rings in alignment while tightening the screws. If a combination of screw outside diameter vs hole inside diameter and receiver to mount profile won't allow alignment, you can hold them ad tight ad you wish, it simply ain' t gonna happen .

Darn it anyways, I'm discussing lapping and alignment with pencil pushers and tool pushes or drywallers, too funny.

Last edited by gitrdun; 03-01-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:12 PM

some folks just need to get a lapping bar and see how out of wack rings can be just like grizzlys in alberta till ya see one you just blowin smoke
Old 03-01-2013, 08:28 PM

. Most issues come from the D&T holes not being aligned with center of bore.

if this is true then the rings are not the problem as rman keeps insisting they are the solution , if you lap them. there are a lot of red herrings floating around here
Old 03-01-2013, 08:41 PM

there is old school and new school ways or doing things i being in the middle of both. I use to shim base's lay felt in the rings to paper like business cards torn off and now in todays easier life we have lapping tools.Alot of gunsmiths are lappings scopes now a days as well and then some are shimming and monkeyin for hrs on end getting a scope true. Most rings i have had to lap only needed a little off the bottom side.I have never yet had any come of sides of the rings YET is the key word. So...with this in mind off the bottom of the rings is more a leveling problem than side to side issuse.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter540 View Post
some folks just need to get a lapping bar and see how out of wack rings can be just like grizzlys in alberta till ya see one you just blowin smoke
What you speak of foxhunter are the alignment "check" bars, they have the pointy ends. The alignment bars themselves are trued rods which you work rotation and axially with a coating of lapping compound such as the 220 grit which comes in the Wheeler kit or just plain Green Clover, same stuff. Lapping scope rings isn't for everyone, not bankers, accountants, tool pushes, bakers, babysitters, realtors, cops, drywallers, landscapers, or anyone else that isn't capable to form a complete sentence without a more than 50% spelling bee, compose a paragraph without punctuation or capitalization or whose middle name isn't a city in Texas.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:47 PM

lmaoooooooooooooooooo ya i got those too what happened to the days of laying a broom stick on the rings eh lol
Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 PM

[QUOTE=gitrdun; Lapping scope rings isn't for everyone, not bankers, accountants, tool pushes, bakers, babysitters, realtors, cops, drywallers, landscapers, or anyone else that isn't capable to form a complete sentence without a more than 50% spelling bee, compose a paragraph without punctuation or capitalization or whose middle name isn't a city in Texas. [/QUOTE]

hey, ive known drywallers that could spell, sort of, if they were sober
Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Huh? if lapping bars aren't straight, THEN THEY'RE NOT LAPPING BARS. I have the means to measure straightness, meaning machinist V-blocks and dials to a tenth of a thou. How do you measure this? And I couldn't careless how you hold the rings in alignment while tightening the screws. If a combination of screw outside diameter vs hole inside diameter and receiver to mount profile won't allow alignment, you can hold them ad tight ad you wish, it simply ain' t gonna happen .

Darn it anyways, I'm discussing lapping and alignment with pencil pushers and tool pushes or drywallers, too funny.
Have a look at Darcy's tool.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
....some of us are trades folk too ya know...
Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Lapping scope rings isn't for everyone, not bankers, accountants, tool pushes, bakers, babysitters, realtors, cops, drywallers, landscapers, or anyone else that isn't capable to form a complete sentence without a more than 50% spelling bee, compose a paragraph without punctuation or capitalization
Glass house.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 AM

i'm redneck i can fix anything with duct tape and haywire lol. Heck give me a toilet paper roll and i'll make ya a scope. Red thread and we got us a red dot lol .....
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 AM

I'm also a long ways from anti lap.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-02-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
....some of us are trades folk too ya know...
Some of us are pretty well rounded as far as occupational skills go actually.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-02-2013, 07:37 AM

Hello all.

Can anyone tell me why lapping rings has to be done? I’m serious. From what I’ve found out on the Interweb , it can increase accuracy and/or protect the scope from losing alignment? I’ve never known anyone to have a scope lapped so I’m just curious why it’s so important. I might be ignorant to this subject but if it were important to a scope you’d think that optic manufactures would have lapping apart of their warranty. If they’re not concerned I don’t believe I should be either. Is this the wrong attitude? Or am I wrong. If my Leupold Mark 4 gets wrecked due to not having it lapped am I ‘chit crick’ without a paddle with my warranty?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter540 View Post
ok so the gun is %100 and the base's are the same that leaves what oh let me guess the scope is wacked some people need to stay in the kitchen and let the big boys play lol
Hey big boy. If your rings are not aligned, it isn't because of the rings. End of story. Maybe you should read more, and type less.
Recommended reading would be to research exactly how quality rings are manufactured in the first place.
My very good friend Chuck provided an excellent link to one such process. After that, please explain how two matching rings are not in perfect alignment to each other prior to mounting?

R.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
Hello all.

Can anyone tell me why lapping rings has to be done? I’m serious. From what I’ve found out on the Interweb , it can increase accuracy and/or protect the scope from losing alignment? I’ve never known anyone to have a scope lapped so I’m just curious why it’s so important. I might be ignorant to this subject but if it were important to a scope you’d think that optic manufactures would have lapping apart of their warranty. If they’re not concerned I don’t believe I should be either. Is this the wrong attitude? Or am I wrong. If my Leupold Mark 4 gets wrecked due to not having it lapped am I ‘chit crick’ without a paddle with my warranty?
What kind of mounting system are you using? As in what kind of base and rings?

R.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:17 AM

Here's an example of a scope mount system that I removed from a target rifle. The picture shows a one inch steel alignment bar in torqued down rings. Windage screws were tightened.

After removing single alignment I tightened ring caps on pointed alignment bars. Picture shows the slight but present mis-alignment. The base is Burris, rings are Leupold. Rings and bases like this require a garbage can and that's where these are headed.

Third picture shows rifle with Near 25 MOA rail, Brownels 30 MOA riser and Near Alpha ring mount also in 25 MOA. Got the mount system needed for the job intended without lapping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (135.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (33.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0429.jpg (39.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman View Post
Hey big boy. If your rings are not aligned, it isn't because of the rings. End of story. Maybe you should read more, and type less.
Recommended reading would be to research exactly how quality rings are manufactured in the first place.
My very good friend Chuck provided an excellent link to one such process. After that, please explain how two matching rings are not in perfect alignment to each other prior to mounting?

R.
Simple. It can happen after the bearing portion of the rings were perfectly bored out, when the holes for the cap bolts are drilled and tapped.

If the cap bolts don't end up exactly perpendicular to the rings' bore axis, ring contact on the scope will be off.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:10 AM

As far as scope bases are concerned, There can be little doubt that an integral base (providing it is properly aligned) is the best system. This base can be of the Weaver style (a bit homely but maybe the best available) or the Talley style. If the weaver style base is machined to offer a couple of ring location options, it is relatively versatile, strong, and there are a ton of rings made to fit. It does not have to stretch the full length of the receiver so weight is really not much of a concern. When guys insist on mounting a two pound scope in half pound rings, a couple of ounces in base doesn't matter much anyway.
Of course, most production rifles do not come with integral bases so a means of attachment and alignment which tries to eliminate the shortcomings may be beneficial.
I have been glassbedding rings instead of lapping since I was showed this by Bob Forslund in 1977. Not only does bedding the ring eliminate any rough surface, it also allows you to align the scope with the bore.
Regarding flex: At some point, all benchrest shooters find something over which they can obsess. For a time my thing was trying to eliminate any stress bewteen the receiver and scope. To this end, I decided that a single point mounting system, where the base was attached only to the receiver ring, would work pretty well. I didn't make it too complicated but just installed a # 70 base (made for the 600) on the receiver ring and let the back float. I added a screw to the front so I had three mounting screws and epoxied the base to the receiver as well. The rings were aluminum Bushnells which were light and seemed strong enough. This worked out reasonably well. In fact it worked well enough that I won a lot of matches with this outfit but it had some problems. When someone fired a shot from another bench, the scope would vibrate like a tuning fork. So I had to be a little cautious when shooting. In the end, I glued the back of the base to the receiver bridge and everything calmed down a lot and I still won matches.
Another place where flex was really apparent was with the use of very long scopes like the Redfield 6400 or the original Weaver T25. Both of these scopes ended up with a lot of scope hanging out at the front. I made up an aluminum sleeve of 30mm OD which I split and then glued over the scope tube to add some rigidity and dampen vibration and this seems to help a lot. These scopes were too heavy for use on a light varmint rig but HV allowed for some creative experimentation.
I have always been going to make a scope mount which cradles the scope in a saddle and hold the scope in place with a couple of hose clamps just as a protest against the 300 dollar mounting systems so many insist are neccessary. Wouldn't look much worse than a lot of the "tactical" pieces which seem to take their styling from a muffler clamp.
The top half of the typical horizontally split rings are able to adjust them selves to any misalignment. Not the ideal, perhaps, but it's ok. The flexible strap over the top as used by weaver for about the last seventy years is an example of a simple yet very effective system. Weaver rings are cheap and not pretty but they do a fine job of holding a scope.
Leupold, at one time, made a similar mount which was somewhat more nicely made and was just as effective. Leeper
Old 03-02-2013, 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=Leeper;1871423 The flexible strap over the top as used by weaver for about the last seventy years is an example of a simple yet very effective system. Weaver rings are cheap and not pretty but they do a fine job of holding a scope.
Leupold, at one time, made a similar mount which was somewhat more nicely made and was just as effective. Leeper[/QUOTE]

The Weaver Flex band was also famous for mangled tubes. Small diameter pipe slips would do only slightly more damage. The Conetrol ring mounts were superior to Weaver Manglers and looked a lot better. I think the "muffler clamp" tactical rings are the way to go. Radius the edges and they look more like Buicks than Hummers.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Simple. It can happen after the bearing portion of the rings were perfectly bored out, when the holes for the cap bolts are drilled and tapped.

If the cap bolts don't end up exactly perpendicular to the rings' bore axis, ring contact on the scope will be off.
Do you think any ring manufacturer worth a pound of salt wouldn't have that issue solved with some very basic machining principles?
It just doesn't happen on a decent set of rings.

R.

Last edited by Rman; 03-02-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
Weaver rings are cheap and not pretty but they do a fine job of holding a scope.
Leeper
Yes, the strap Weaver Rings. Countless damaged scopes with those rings. Cheaply made with equivalent performance.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:34 PM

Well I will say all my scope mounting experience haven't been the same. I have done more than two and I have run into rings that are unusable. Heck I've had more than one set without the bottom halves being tapped for cap screws.

Lets see. I've used and mounted Leupold STD, DD, QR, QRW; Talley LW's, QR's, R's; Burris Zee's, Posi Zees, DD's, Posi DD's; Weaver standard, one piece; Lex Webernick; Conetrol; S&K; Badger;TPS; Near; and I'm sure something or five I've forgotten.

Guess what. They are not all the same nor mounted the same and I have preferences.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 PM

I will also add. Use what you like, mount them how you like. It's you dollar. Lap them or don't. Big harry deal.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman View Post
What kind of mounting system are you using? As in what kind of base and rings?

R.
Leupold Mark 4 picatinny rail and rings. Also a Leupold Mark 4 scope.