Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-09-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Feeding my 270. What do you think?

Bought a Browning A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in 270 Winchester this spring in preparation for my first big game season. Now gonna start hitting the range, sighting in and practicing. Want to check out my decisions so far with you experts LOL

I will be hunting whitetail and Mulies. Definitely will not draw antelope this year (or the next 7 apparently LOL), maybe a cow elk .... Anyway, I'd like to not dick around with different ammo but just settle and stick to one type if I can, get used to it, use it on everything from here on in. I've bought some Federal Vital Shocks... one box of Nosler Partition bullets in 150 g. and one box of Sierra Game Kings also in 150 g. The guy at Wholesale said they would both be good choices for about anything I'm looking at, from antelope to deer to elk and moose. I figured I'd just shoot both and see which one my gun likes more. I don't mind paying for premium bullets. I just want ones that are going to work well for my gun and game.

Does this sound like a plan? Any other suggestions? If they both shoot well, would you choose one over the other? Price isn't really an issue. I know I need to practice, and will a bit, but it's not like I'm going to go through 500 rounds if I'm completely honest, so the price difference isn't really important. Homestead range is a bit too far for me to be going to ten or fifteen times before the season... and believe me, in my first season I'm not going to be taking any 300 yarders anyway. When I've been upland hunting I've found plenty of big game I'd be happy with within 100 yards. I've been out a couple times just fooling around since I got the gun and can easily put a few rounds of the vanilla stuff I was shooting within a couple inches at 100 (of course with no pressure or stress or fatigue or all the other things that come with real hunting).

oh yeah, please be kind LOL

Last edited by Okotokian; 07-09-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:43 PM

If it was me and I didn't handload, I'd look at Federal Premium containing the 130 or 150gr partition or TSX. Find out what shoots best and then go back and buy everything they have in that lot #.

Chuck
Old 07-09-2007, 05:03 PM

I personally shoot 140gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaws from Federal.My S&W 1500 likes them probably better than I can shoot'em.I've used them on everything up to moose.Absolutley no complaints about performance.A little pricey though.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:08 PM

I've been using 130 partions for almost 20 years in my 270. They have accounted for everything: black bears, antelope, deer, caribou to moose. Never had a bullet failure and 95% have been one shot affairs. They work for me and thats why I keep using them. I have a box of 140's I need to try but just cant seem to find the time. "Old habits die hard" and "You cant argue with success" The box of 150's is still sitting half full on the bench.
No matter what bullet you use, NOTHING will compensate for a bad shot. That practise you mentioned..best thing you can do. Once you have it sighted in try the kneeling and sitting positions. Not every big game animal is shot from a bench rest
See what groups best in your rifle, theres lots of deer shot with non-premium bullets. I know I can shoot smaller groups with mine if I change brands but the partitions are what I use for Hunting.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:15 PM

Shoot the stuff that's the most accurate in your rifle.
The hard truth is what works in someones rifle might shoot like crap in yours. Every rifle is unique unto it's self.
I've seen 270's that will only shoot a particular loading and that's it. I've also seen some 270's that really don't care what you feed them. Expermentation is the only way to tell.
Unless you become a die hard Elkoholic, i'd play the K.I.S.S game, get some cup/core factory loading of diffrent weights and have at her. BTW you'll get some good ol practice in the process.
If you want to go bigger just move to a tougher pill that shoots good and your off to the races.
Good luck.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-10-2007, 04:45 AM
Banned

I have had at least a dozen .270s, have three now and have loaded for it for many years, using many different bullets. I find that a warmish load of RE-22 or H-4831 tends to be best in my rifles and the 150 NP is THE hunting bullet to go with for everything, especially elk. However, I have not used Barnes bullets and since I have over 600 NP loads made up now, won't do so.

I will NOT use a Sierra bullet on big game and "cup and core"bullets are nowhere near as reliable as NPs or some of the other premiums. IF, I find a "hawg" Mulie in the heavy timber and my only shot is into the curve of his paunch and through a lung into the opposite shoulder, I do not want the bullet stopping in a browse-filled paunch, but, driving through as NPs do.

Last fall, I passed on an easy shot of this type on a fine Columbian Blacktail buch in dense brush here and later shot a much smaller one; I decided then to ONLY use premium bullets for big game as such bucks are rare but difficult shots are not.

Practice with Sierras to save bux, adjust your final sight-in to NPs and hunt with them, then, get into reloading and use 150 NPs over about 57 grs. of H-4831 in WW brass with WW Mag. primers for cold Alberta, this is a TOP load, so start at 54 grs. This combo WORKS!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:46 AM

Default 270WIN Factory Ammo

I will suggest Winchester Supreme in 150gr XP3, 140gr Accubonds or 150gr Partition Golds. For Federal - go with the premium in 140gr TSX or Accubonds. I think the 140gr Accubonds would be a great choice.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:52 AM

I agree with the above posters that a 150 Nosler Partition is hard to beat in a 270. In the last three seasons I've seen about a dozen animals killed with the 270 Barnes 130 gr TSX, and I've been very impressed with both the accuracy and the field performance on game. It's worth taking a look at too.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 AM

Default thanks!

Thanks guys!

oh, and I drew antlered and antlerless mulies, antlerless white tail, and antlerless elk, all right near by in 312. Here's hoping. Being my first time out and from what I drew, I'm obviously not worried about any trophies! Just some practice, enjoyment, good clean first kills and some meat for the freezer LOL. We shall see

now I have to practice, go out and scout, and get some land owner permission. No idea where to go. LOL HELP!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:43 PM
-NDN-

our .270's both eat Federal Fusion up like candy, i have a buddy with a 30-06 that used them and bagged a moose last year, they are supposed to be just a whitetail round, but are somehow a bonded bullet, better than the average lead bullet i guess