Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-29-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Buying a new gun

I will be buying a new gun before hunting season and have narrowed it down to two different calibers. A 375 ruger or a 340 wby. I have not shot either of these calibers before but would welcome any feed back and wether a muzzle brake is needed on the 340.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Blarney Stone BSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I will be buying a new gun before hunting season and have narrowed it down to two different calibers. A 375 ruger or a 340 wby. I have not shot either of these calibers before but would welcome any feed back and wether a muzzle brake is needed on the 340.
Have you ever shot any rifle in this sort of horsepower range?

Muzzle brakes are very frowned upon in the guiding community, and even some ranges do not like to see them used on their covered ranges (too tough on the other shooters)

I'm not sure what you intend to hunt here in Alberta that cant be taken with 338 Win. Mag., let alone a 30'06. JMO

I'd suggest if you have your heart set on one of these larger calibres to try and meet with someone hwho has something in this class of calibre, to make sure you can actually handle it. make sure you shoot more than 5 shells too.

Enjoy.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Winchester70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarney Stone BSer View Post

I'm not sure what you intend to hunt here in Alberta that cant be taken with 338 Win. Mag., let alone a 30'06. JMO
Some guys like Jeep YJ's and some like Hummers.Both will do the job so I guess it's a matter of personal choice.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Blarney Stone BSer

I'd suggest if you have your heart set on one of these larger calibres to try and meet with someone hwho has something in this class of calibre, to make sure you can actually handle it. make sure you shoot more than 5 shells too.

Again if you have your heart set on it.

Yes Win. 70 we have choices and whims. (Aint it great)
But a person saddled with too much gun for their shooting ability is a ethical quagmire looking for a place to happen.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:41 PM

Like Blarney says, shoot a couple boxes of shells from the bench, prone, kneeling, if you can stand up after all that and still shoot and not flinch then decide. Those things kill from both ends. Muzzle breaks will **** of the shooters next to you at the range. If you fire a few shots in a hunting situation without hearing protection your ears may begin to ring... sign of hearing damage. Yes they do soften recoil.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Winchester70

btw...I'm also curious.

Whick kicks more? .375 or the .340 ??

I had a fellow tell me years ago that the .340 was one nasty kicker.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:31 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
If you fire a few shots in a hunting situation without hearing protection your ears may begin to ring... sign of hearing damage.
Actually a single shot fired without a muzzle brake without hearing protection will often cause the shooters ears to ring.And yes that ringing is a sign that permanent hearing loss has occured.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Banned

At present, I own, load for and shoot five .338 Win. mags annd two .375 H&H mags plus a 9.3x62 and a drilling in 9.3x74R. One of my .375s is a lightened, synthetic stocked, P-64 Mod. 70 that weighs under 9 lbs. scoped. I also shoot a Browning 1886 SRC repro .45-70 and a Mod. 1895 straight grip Marlin in .45-70, both loaded max.

I can shoot all of these and even hit what I aim at and I have shot .378, .340 and .300 Weatherbys since 1968. I do NOT like the .340's kick, it is much nastier than any of the seven .375s I have had and the .378 is just horrible, totally brutal. The .375 Ruger will be a bit worse than a .375 H&H, given it's published ballistics, IF, they are real...........

Frankly, most guys I know who have shot .340 Weatherbys end up selling them, they cost a LOT to feed and do not really do anything that a .338 Win. will not do. I have never seen more than about 100-125 FPS increase with 250s and the downside of severe recoil is not worth it, to me, YMMV.

Of the two mentioned, I would take the .375 Ruger, but, I agree with the suggestion of the .338 Win. I am just loading for two of mine right now and they give moa results with my load and at 2700+ fps-mv with 250 NPs, it will do anything I can imagine. But, it's all about fun, buy what YOU want and learn to shoot it!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:12 PM

Stay away from the .340 WBY, I've shot one and it was the most unpleasant of any rifle I've ever fired, up to and including .375H&H, .458 Win mag, etc.
If the .338 Win won't do it for you and you want something more exciting, you'd be better off with the Rem .338 Ultra Mag. WAY EASIER and CHEAPER to feed!!!

I've seen PLENTY of .340 WBY's for sale... "Includes 24 rounds of factory ammo" Need I say more?

If you don't own a .338 Win or .375 H&H... why not try one of 'em out? Presently, the .375 Ruger is only offered in a handful or rifles, none of which suit my tastes.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:15 PM

Both are cannons.....both are much larger than one needs for Alberta....

But hey...its your call. If I HAD to choose between the two, I'd shoot the 375 H&H.....mainly because I'm not a huge WBY fan and you might as well have the heavier option with the recoil....

If it was me to choose...I'd go 338WIN and be happy as hell...
Old 06-30-2007, 10:53 AM

I'd also have to say a .338 Win would be a better option; if you wanted something with a little more the .338 RUM is a step up; or another cal. that really interests me is the .325 WSM. I'm also not a Wby fan.....
Old 06-30-2007, 11:20 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I'd also have to say a .338 Win would be a better option; if you wanted something with a little more the .338 RUM is a step up;
Personally,it's my opinion that one of the 300 mags is more than enough for any game in Alberta,but if I wanted more than the 338win mag,I would choose the 338 ultramag over the 340wby.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:45 PM

hey roebag, say your peice!!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:54 PM
sheephunter

Why try and dissuade anyone from buying a bigbore...they are great to shoot. I own a .375 H&H but that .375 Ruger is facinating. Of the two calibres you are considering, I'd chose the .375 Ruger. Go big or go home...lol
Old 07-01-2007, 07:25 PM

I used to shoot a lot of big stuff, and loaded for those that did/do.
I can't go anywhere near it now without using a lead sled, but not because I have shot lots of big bores, because of an injury unrelated to firearms.

I owned a .375 H&H at one time, and it was a greeat rifle to shoot, although I never hunted with it.
very accurate and easy on the shoulder compared to some big bores...
Cat
Old 07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Perhaps Jim is going th Africa after "THE BIG 5". Or maybe he has got his hands on a Polar bear shooting opportunity.

Or maybe he just wants a big shoulder cannon to make holes through Alberta game with.

He really didn't ask for any advice on "resonable" cartridges for hunting in Alberta.

I have never shot eather of those rounds and do not see my doing so in the future. So I can't coment on which is better or worse.

Robin in Rocky
Old 07-01-2007, 09:45 PM

Hey man if ya got a hankering far be it for any of us to throw a wet blanket on your plans.
But don't get into an over gunned situation, a man with a shoulder cannon who can't shoot it is more dangerous than a man with a medium bore who can shoot it.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-01-2007, 09:54 PM

Default new gun

Yeah i already have a 338 win mag just looking for another gun and would like something bigger i guess from the comments that i am leaning more towards the 375 ruger
Old 07-01-2007, 10:45 PM

The excitement and anticipation of buying a new firearm ( or a new barrel for an old one never grows old!

The 375 Ruger is intriguing, however, my "new gun" tastes run a tad smaller in caliber.
However, neither small nor larger is going to be cheap if one goes
"whole Hog" !
Such is life!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-02-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:52 AM

Default .375

There isnt one Weatherby chambering I would personally choose over their normal Magnum counterpart (except maybe a .375 Weatherby). I have shot several & they are punishing! I one time shot a .375 A.I. about 10 times, someone then handed me their .340, I shot it once and heanded it back. I would rather shoot my 8.5 lb. .416 Rem. Mag. than any .340!

BTW if you do decide to get a .375 Ruger, you better get ahold of a seller and get on his waiting list quick, I would bet coins you aint getting it for this Season. They are gonna be a huge "Hot commodity" when they arrive. I ordered one (LH African) about a week after Hornady/Ruger announced it, and I would bet I dont get it until mid '08 some time, if at all.

There is a fellow over on HuntBC (Gatehouse), he has a .375 Ruger (the Alaskan Model....one of only 3 .375 Rugers brought to Canada so far). There are many, many posts around several different Boards, seek & you shall find.

Bottom line IMO get the .375 Ruger, kill anything you want from Deer to Rhino....I will be the last guy to tell you you dont need a large Chambering
Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Banned

Neither of the gunstores here in Vancouver have a .375 Ruger or seem to be ordering any for stock; it IS a very interesting cartridge and one well suited to much BC hunting. If, they were to bring out a .338 on this case, I would HAVE to have one, but, my .375 H&H rifles will do for me, now.

Let us know what you end up doing, the more different guns, rifles, pistols and rounds out there, the more dynamic our sport and the better it's chances of survival.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 AM
-NDN-

why not a .505 Gibbs? May as well make sure the game is dead jks
Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post
Let us know what you end up doing, the more different guns, rifles, pistols and rounds out there, the more dynamic our sport and the better it's chances of survival.
That Kutenay, sure knows how to put things into words!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:24 AM

Default I love my 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Jim,

I've used my 340 for everything for the past 10 years, and love it. It consistantly puts elk and moose down in their tracks. I bought the Weatherby Mark V Stainless and it came with a removable muzzle brake. I used it for the first 8 years without the brake(it can be done) but put it on 2 years ago because sometimes (not all the time) when shooting it free hand it would touch me. I think it was because of poor shooting postions (posture) though. If you really like this caliber, go for it ! You won't be disappointed how it performs in the field, but remember recoil comes with the territory your in.

Roebag

x2 on " I'll be the last guy to tell you, you don't need a large chambering"
Old 07-09-2007, 12:51 PM

Like many on this board, I'm a huge .338 Win fan and i don't even push mine all that fast. However, when this .340 Wby came available, i just had to have it!

Old 07-09-2007, 12:56 PM

BTW, I'm in the camp that the .340 has more recoil, expense, and fickleness than it is really worth. I shoot a lot of large rifles and shoot a lot so the recoil is tolerable but still noticeably more than the .338 Win. Still, if you want one, as I did, go for it!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta View Post
Like many on this board, I'm a huge .338 Win fan and i don't even push mine all that fast. However, when this .340 Wby came available, i just had to have it!

now that is a sexy gun nice wood on her
Old 07-09-2007, 01:50 PM

thanks, but i wish i had the original pad on it.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:08 PM

Excellent wood!
Cat