Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-23-2007, 10:51 AM
stubblejumper

Default barnes mrx

I just tested the 140gr mrx in my two 7mmstw rifles for the first time.I haven't done much load development yet,but the first groups were all sub MOA and averaged around 3/4 MOA.I haven't chronographed yet either,but it looks as though these bullets do have the potential to be accurate.Hopefully,I will be able to report on their on game performance next fall.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:54 PM

I'm curious, how much does a box of the MRX bullets go for?
Old 06-23-2007, 04:29 PM
stubblejumper

They aren't cheap at just over $40 for 20 bullets.However since I drastically reduced my gun inventory by selling off over half of my rifles over the last few years,I don't mind spending some extra money on bullets.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:04 PM

Stub;
What are MRX bullets? I have shot STX barnes in a 7mm WSM and they work great on elk.
wapiti11
Old 06-23-2007, 10:13 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
What are MRX bullets? I have shot STX barnes in a 7mm WSM and they work great on elk.
I am assuming you mean the barnes tsx.The mrx is also a barnes product.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/mrx-bullet/
Old 06-27-2007, 12:01 AM

I would love to know if it is worth switching to these bullets or not I imagine they won't be more than an inch or two flatter on the long range shots but I would like to know. Do you really think they are much bettr than a tsx? do you think they will open up more and do more damage as well . Intersted to know your thoughts on why you are switching.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:58 AM

I picked some up for the 300win
165`s and 180`s
i think the tip will help it open at longer ranges .
i loaded some last year in 180`s,but never got a chance to use them on game.
my 300 is not to fussy it preetty much shoots everything in this weight to the same place and around 1.5 moa is the biggest i seen outta it .
but they r sure pretty lookin lol
Old 06-27-2007, 07:40 PM
stubblejumper

I haven't really switched from the tsx to the mrx.I still load the 180gr tsx in my 300ultramag,but I never before tried either the tsx or the mrx in my 7mmstw rifles.I am testing the 140gr mrx because I am considering using the 7mmstw for all of my big game hunting,so I want the best bullet performance available.The ballistic co-efficient is noticeably higher than the tsx according to people that have shot both out to 500 yards,but I have yet to confirm this for myself.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
I am assuming you mean the barnes tsx.The mrx is also a barnes product.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/mrx-bullet/
Yes I did mean TSX, but thanks for the info on the MSX I didn't realize that barnes had put out the TSX with a polymer tip and called it the MRX.
wapiti11
Old 06-27-2007, 08:54 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I didn't realize that barnes had put out the TSX with a polymer tip and called it the MRX.
The mrx is not simply a tsx with a poly tip.The tsx is made from one piece of copper while the mrx has a tungsten core.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:06 PM

I am looking for the ultimate bullet for my 7STW as well and as of now I shoot TSX. I loaded some XLC 140 with 83gr of RL 22 and I would think they would be shooting very fast. They are actually a little better of a group as well at 1/2". I am wanting to do some tests as well before I buy my new scope from Leupold which has calibrated turrets to my bullet type and speed. I am still wondering what the best system is and wonder if I should try the MRX or if it will make any difference or not. Let me know what you find out in your tests and keep us posted please.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:45 PM
stubblejumper

My local range is closed all weekend and I am likely going to be away the following weekend,so it will be at least a few weeks before I can do more testing.I will report back with chronograph readings and final accuracy results when my load development is complete.Hopefully this fall I can report on the effectiveness on game.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:20 PM

From what I have read I think that they will be better on game than the tsx. I hope they get a bigger exit hole than the tsx. It seems like the tsx just punch small holes in things and it is hard to get a really big blood trail of any kind. If you make a bad shot like a gut shot it seems like you would loose the animal very easily if there was no snow to track in. What do you think about that?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:44 PM

i am also interested to here of some range and field reports. i dont care for "two part" bullets. had a bad experience with partitions seperated at high speed. but none the less if they perform well... besides the price diffrence 20 for the price of 50. hopefully the price isn't just the price of the raw tungsten in the bullet. by rights i would think the bullet would also be shorter but not sure of the effects of a shorter bullet in flight.

wthby