Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Banned

Default No Thermocline

Found it really weird when I measured the temp every five feet to 90 ft two days ago. All 38.1 degrees and finally between 85 and 90 feet the temp went up a tenth of a degree. Will be interesting to see the thermocline develop on this year.
I see all the fish staying at 120 feet so will have to measure the temp down there tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Found it really weird when I measured the temp every five feet to 90 ft two days ago. All 38.1 degrees and finally between 85 and 90 feet the temp went up a tenth of a degree. Will be interesting to see the thermocline develop on this year.
I see all the fish staying at 120 feet so will have to measure the temp down there tomorrow.
Each Lake, and when it stratifies, is going to be different. You won't often find a clear line of stratification in a lake that deep this time of year (assuming there is still ice on the surface). It's pretty much going to read 3.8 to 4 degrees from just under the ice all the way to the bottom.

You will also find the water, in the middle of summer, in a deep lake, below the thermocline, to read 4 degrees all year long. It never gets above (or below) that in the deep lakes way down there. It pretty much stays that way forever.

Before ice is formed, all the lake(top to bottom) must reach 3.8 to 4 degrees before ice begins to form at the surface (as the colder air/wind begins to lower the temperature at the upper most layer) the lake only then can begin to freeze and ice begins to form.