Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2017, 11:36 AM

Default Does anyone use the Bass Pro Shops Johnny Morris Signature Platinum Baitcast Reel

So this year is my first year using a baitcaster and so far I'm really happy with it. Currently I'm using a Quantum Accurist PT. I'm thinking I might upgrade to a better reel. I seen this one at BassPro, the specs seem really good.

I was wondering if anyone has this reel, and what they think of it.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...roduct/161101/
Old 04-11-2017, 12:46 PM

I would get a Curado.

I haven't used the reel you are wondering about but I try to avoid the box store branded gear. Probably a decent enough reel though and from what I understand most likely made by the same people that make the pflueger, lews etc reels in korea.

Something most people don't realize is that Shimano is pretty much the only reel company that still designs and manufactures their own product. Some of the other companies still make a handful of their own reels(Abu Garcia has a few Sweden made reels still for example) but Shimano to my knowledge makes all their own gear and is consistently developing new technology to improve the sport while many of these other companies now just copy paste and sub out manufacturing.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I would get a Curado.

I haven't used the reel you are wondering about but I try to avoid the box store branded gear. Probably a decent enough reel though and from what I understand most likely made by the same people that make the pflueger, lews etc reels in korea.

Something most people don't realize is that Shimano is pretty much the only reel company that still designs and manufactures their own product. Some of the other companies still make a handful of their own reels(Abu Garcia has a few Sweden made reels still for example) but Shimano to my knowledge makes all their own gear and is consistently developing new technology to improve the sport while many of these other companies now just copy paste and sub out manufacturing.

Looks like a pretty nice setup as well. The breaking system sound interesting, the ability to adjust the angle of the brake collar sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip. I will be looking at a few models for sure.