Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 PM

Question Primers

Own a 6.5-06 and starting to see some potential with H1000 powder and heavy bullets. Have noticed some intermittent vertical groups, although still relatively small.

Some reading suggests increasing the powder charge slowly to max. to eliminate vertical grouping. Some suggest burn rate may be too slow and not all powder is being burned in the barrel, so increasing the charge wouldn't help. Barrel length is 24".

Also noticed some suggestions for using mag primers.
Are there any disadvantages to using mag primers in a non-mag calibre?
Understand I would need to back off and work up again.

Action is bedded and barrel free floating. Confirmed with the buiness card test. Nothing further.

Welcome your feedback regarding primer choice, powder charge, and vertical strings.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 PM

I work up all hunting loads with magnum primers. There is an advantage in cold weather to using them, and no downside in most loads. If you are not burning all your powder, it is unlikely magnum primers alone will solve the problem. You might want to try a light crimp and see if that helps your SD and burned powder issue with the barrel length you have. Only other choice is to go to a faster powder. In your application, I would think 481 would be as slow as would work well unless you are using 200 grain or more bullets, which doesn't seem likely. I also think you will find it gives you better velocity.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Own a 6.5-06 and starting to see some potential with H1000 powder and heavy bullets. Have noticed some intermittent vertical groups, although still relatively small.

Some reading suggests increasing the powder charge slowly to max. to eliminate vertical grouping. Some suggest burn rate may be too slow and not all powder is being burned in the barrel, so increasing the charge wouldn't help. Barrel length is 24".

Also noticed some suggestions for using mag primers.
Are there any disadvantages to using mag primers in a non-mag calibre?
Understand I would need to back off and work up again.

Action is bedded and barrel free floating. Confirmed with the buiness card test. Nothing further.

Welcome your feedback regarding primer choice, powder charge, and vertical strings.

Thanks.
How heavy are your bullets? I have 6.5-06 AI and H1000 is a bit too slow. It likes IMR 4350 with 140 gr bullets and standard primers. Also shoot a 6.5-284 with 140 gr bullets with IMR 4350 being the best powder. However my 6.5 X 55 works best with R22 powder under the 140's.

Vertical stringing? Shooting with a Harris bipod? If not at max powder charge increase, or decrease to tune to barrel harmonics. Alter seating depth slightly to tune.

Last edited by DaleJ; 03-04-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
How heavy are your bullets? I have 6.5-06 AI and H1000 is a bit too slow. It likes IMR 4350 with 140 gr bullets and standard primers. Also shoot a 6.5-284 with 140 gr bullets with IMR 4350 being the best powder. However my 6.5 X 55 works best with R22 powder under the 140's.

Vertical stringing? Shooting with a Harris bipod? If not at max powder charge increase, or decrease to tune to barrel harmonics. Alter seating depth slightly to tune.
Yes, shooting 130's and 140's.
And, yes, shooting prone with a harris bi-pod to simulate most of my hunting scenarios. Done this for years with many other rifles and not noticed vertical groups. Figured since this rifle has superior bedding and stock compared to my other rifles that the bi-pod isn't the issue....easily tested at my next range visit though.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I work up all hunting loads with magnum primers. There is an advantage in cold weather to using them, and no downside in most loads. If you are not burning all your powder, it is unlikely magnum primers alone will solve the problem. You might want to try a light crimp and see if that helps your SD and burned powder issue with the barrel length you have. Only other choice is to go to a faster powder. In your application, I would think 481 would be as slow as would work well unless you are using 200 grain or more bullets, which doesn't seem likely. I also think you will find it gives you better velocity.
Thanks.
Will try to get my hands on some 4831 and/or 4350...been tough to find lately

Initial groups have been very good with the H1000, at about 1", but most are 1" vertical and 1/4" horiontal deviation. This got me thinking about the primers...
Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Yes, shooting 130's and 140's.
And, yes, shooting prone with a harris bi-pod to simulate most of my hunting scenarios. Done this for years with many other rifles and not noticed vertical groups. Figured since this rifle has superior bedding and stock compared to my other rifles that the bi-pod isn't the issue....easily tested at my next range visit though.
I find sometimes the Harris bi-pods require a bit of a pre-load to eliminate vertical stringing especially with free floating barrels. Try shooting it with rifle pushed forward and tension on the springs. Dry firing in a pre-load position while looking through the scope will tell you what it likes.