Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 AM

Default had an 'on' day yesterday

started out so foggy i couldn't see the 200yd target, but let up a bit by 10am.
finished some test loads in a few rifles, decided on rl7 and rem 7 1/2 primers for the duce heavy barrel.
will be shooting your challenge on the next weather break 260rem.
weather was still kind of crappy, so jumped in the car to meet up with brianscott, bought some stuff from his reloading sell off last week. also met up with a guy i bought a 224 cal bullet mold, swage, and gas-checks from.
stopped at no-sale, grabbed a few ammo boxes and some 90 gr vlds for my 22 br.
got home about 3pm, still a dim out, but just a mild wind, thought this is a good time to test wind reading skills with my f-class rig.
got it set up, fired a sighter, would have been a v-bull, so started shooting target 1.
wind was mild, just enough to flip a partially stapled target up and down on the target board, but gusts came and went. hard to read, especially if your not that good at it to start with. other trouble was i couldn't see my hits unless they were in the white to make corrections.(forgot the spotting scope)
let the gun cool for a few minutes,readjusted my position a bit for comfort and hold, and fired another sighter.
shot went low and right, made an elevation adjustment, and held off for the second target. couldn't see my hits, but i figured if i was in the black, it was a 10, and i'd be happy.
shot the first 10 shots all in the black, and then dropped the 11'th. give her it a little more hold off, and finished the target. the wind dropped to nothing while i was readjusting my setup, and the sun tried a little harder to peek through the clouds.
packed her up and collected the targets, i was happy as could be, the three hundred is the hardest to shoot for me, the v-bull is only 1.3'', compared to 2 1/2'' at 600. i know the moa's translate pretty close, but for some reason 300 seems harder for me.
as you can see, target 2 was opened up pretty good, so an actual 'v' count is hard to say.
for guys not familiar with f-class shooting, you fire 15 rounds at one target. you are allowed 2 sighters at the start of your string, which you can con convert to your score if you like them.
distances start at 300 and go to 1000 yds, and are shot prone off a rest and rear bag for 'f-open' or bipod and rear bag for 'f-tr'; shot with .223 and .308 only.
targets are scored after every shot, and a marker you can see with your scope shows your hit so you can adjust for your next shot. lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg set up.jpg (75.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg target board.JPG (125.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg scored targets.JPG (112.2 KB, 190 views)

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 AM

That's some good shootin...
Old 03-03-2013, 01:10 PM

Good work duceman ... nice to have no snow, but I'll take northern snow over southern wind any day.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 PM

just one question, in picture one how did the gun fire, there is no one around

nice and nice rear baggie,

glad you had fun.

too bad it was not fired off of a Cement Bench
Old 03-03-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
started out so foggy i couldn't see the 200yd target, but let up a bit by 10am.
finished some test loads in a few rifles, decided on rl7 and rem 7 1/2 primers for the duce heavy barrel.
will be shooting your challenge on the next weather break 260rem.
weather was still kind of crappy, so jumped in the car to meet up with brianscott, bought some stuff from his reloading sell off last week. also met up with a guy i bought a 224 cal bullet mold, swage, and gas-checks from.
stopped at no-sale, grabbed a few ammo boxes and some 90 gr vlds for my 22 br.
got home about 3pm, still a dim out, but just a mild wind, thought this is a good time to test wind reading skills with my f-class rig.
got it set up, fired a sighter, would have been a v-bull, so started shooting target 1.
wind was mild, just enough to flip a partially stapled target up and down on the target board, but gusts came and went. hard to read, especially if your not that good at it to start with. other trouble was i couldn't see my hits unless they were in the white to make corrections.(forgot the spotting scope)
let the gun cool for a few minutes,readjusted my position a bit for comfort and hold, and fired another sighter.
shot went low and right, made an elevation adjustment, and held off for the second target. couldn't see my hits, but i figured if i was in the black, it was a 10, and i'd be happy.
shot the first 10 shots all in the black, and then dropped the 11'th. give her it a little more hold off, and finished the target. the wind dropped to nothing while i was readjusting my setup, and the sun tried a little harder to peek through the clouds.
packed her up and collected the targets, i was happy as could be, the three hundred is the hardest to shoot for me, the v-bull is only 1.3'', compared to 2 1/2'' at 600. i know the moa's translate pretty close, but for some reason 300 seems harder for me.
as you can see, target 2 was opened up pretty good, so an actual 'v' count is hard to say.
for guys not familiar with f-class shooting, you fire 15 rounds at one target. you are allowed 2 sighters at the start of your string, which you can con convert to your score if you like them.
distances start at 300 and go to 1000 yds, and are shot prone off a rest and rear bag for 'f-open' or bipod and rear bag for 'f-tr'; shot with .223 and .308 only.
targets are scored after every shot, and a marker you can see with your scope shows your hit so you can adjust for your next shot. lee
gettin ready for kamloops i see! nice work lee.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5x47 lapua View Post
gettin ready for kamloops i see! nice work lee.
Question is, are you? Made some steel tip 176's. Wow!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Good work duceman ... nice to have no snow, but I'll take northern snow over southern wind any day.
we're payin today!! just came in from the reloading room, had to shovel a 3' tall drift 15+ feet to get out after being in for 2 1/2 hours.
considering bailing on the summer games to go to kamloops, you guys in for sure? lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
we're payin today!! just came in from the reloading room, had to shovel a 3' tall drift 15+ feet to get out after being in for 2 1/2 hours.
considering bailing on the summer games to go to kamloops, you guys in for sure? lee
if my reamers dont come i may be a spectator
Old 03-03-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Question is, are you? Made some steel tip 176's. Wow!
nope!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5x47 lapua View Post
nope!
Might have to shoot at Hugh's from the confines of the P.V. as the firing line at the range is still under snow. Sun was bright today but temp stayed about -7C. You might need to hit up "the reamer guy".
Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 PM

Pretty good shootin!!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Banned

Nice shooting Lee
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Nice shooting Lee
thanks git. when are you gonna stretch the legs on that 223 of yours, it has an 8 twist don't it? lee

2. #1 is true.