Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 PM

Default Ammo for my Remington 742 Bushmaster Semi Auto

does anyone have advise on which bullets would work best for my gun ?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 AM

Default Ammo

Well that would depend on what you were shooting? Are you hunting, target shooting, do you reload or buy commercial loaded? Most anything in your specific caliber will work, it depends on your application.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:45 AM

Stick to cartridges marked the same as the stamping on the firearm.

Since every firearm is unique unto its self, there is no go try this magical loading out there.

Trigger time is time well spent.

Tight groups.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-02-2013, 01:58 PM

I will be target shooting and deer hunting mainly. Ive hunted for quite a few years but was always with a buddy. I never carried a rifle or shot much of anything but learned quite a bit just being in the woods. The times I went alone I would bring my friends 30 30, but the only thing I ever shot were pics on my camera lol. Maybe I just need to figure this out on my own but if you guys have suggestions for targets, and white tail deer, it would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:36 PM

If it's a 742 it isn't a Bushmaster, Woodsmaster maybe? If it is a Bushmaster AR type it is restricted and can't be used for hunting. I owned a 742 in 30-06 many years ago and it wasn't fussy on what kind of ammo so I used cheapy federal until I got into reloading. That gun shot very well.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:29 PM

Yes sorry it's a Woodsmaster. Its my grandpa's gun and just got it. He past away 10 years ago and I just got it from my uncle. It is in immaculate condition so I'm hoping it shoots the same and have no problems with it jamming. Thats why I was wondering about the ammo. From what I've heard about that model it has a pretty good track record. I do realize every gun is different but just thought maybe that model was prone to jamming certain ammo.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:18 PM

Also, this may be a stupid question.........very stupid......but when I'm ready to buy a scope for my gun, can I bring it to Cabela's and get someone to put a scope of my choice on so I can see it on the gun ? Or do I just have to buy one and hope I like it after its on the rifle. The rifle is already bored out for a scope.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 PM

Default 742 Woodsmaster

Before spending money on a scope for it, check the top of the receiver to make sure the metal up in there is not all marred up with chatter marks. Check the bolt head for wear, galling. These wear patterns are common on many 742s Eventually the action seizes up. That's the main weakness of the 742.

The same rifle in pump action is much more reliable and known to be much more accurate.

edit: no shop will allow you to put a new scope on top of your rifle.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
edit: No shop will allow you to put a new scope on top of your rifle.
wtf?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
wtf?
If its mounted its used when i buy new i like to know it hasnt been tryed out by others first
Old 03-03-2013, 12:13 PM

whats the receiver ? the holes for mounting the scope ? the whole gun was reconditioned 10 or more years ago and i'd be surprised if it was ever shot since then, so i should be fine in the wear department.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM

Default Woodmaster

For handloads suggest RCBS Small Base Dies
30-06
IMR 4895 @ 47.0
WW brass and Fed 210 primers
180gr nosler BT or Part

The 742 Auto Woodmaster make sure you keep the chamber area real clean.
Accuracy is Ok for wood ranges.

North Pole, Alaska
Old 03-03-2013, 09:38 PM

rusty, the receiver is the large smooth-sided blued metal part that hold the bolt assembly, the bolt rails, the magazine and the trigger assembly. The ejection port is machined out of the receiver. The barrel is threaded into the receiver, and the action bars protrude forward out of it.

In a bolt-action gun, the receiver is called the action. It too holds the bolt, bolt rails, magazine, trigger assembly, barrel. The action is often open at the top & sides, sometimes closed with an ejection port.

Look for chatter marks inside the receiver: remove the mag, flip the rifle upside down, pull and manually hold the bolt back (it won't lock back without the mag in place), then look at the top (or underside) for chatter marks.