Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 PM

Default Now let's shoot the Rossi Ranch Hand

Hi all - looking for feedback from all the ranch hand/mares leg shooters and how you're doing....got my gun, got my customer holster and been reloading 45 colt....
What is the favourite stance for shooting this rascal? Is it just getting used to a different way of shooting....saw some one handed, arm bar with the rifle resting?
How is everyone doing it and whats the best or most comfortable?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:08 PM

Default Way to much fun.

I do not own one but Larry does and he and I have been having a blast. Crazy little thing. One hand or two. I think with a little work you can one hand it very accurately. Just get the muscles built up by shooting it more. Which just means more fun. When I buy my own I will buy to match my hand gun. Just keeps the reloading simple. I have all the brass and powder etc. all in place. Like shooting a shot gun with a pistol grip it takes practice. I hold it like I would a full size out in front just missing the stock. Seemed to work for me. Down by the hip was just like the shooting the shot gun bad until your follow up shots found the range. Single hand was difficult but like I say could be improved with strength. I found the follow up shot was hard to control when using one hand. Support the forend and it works and works well. All in all it was great buy.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 PM

Interesting
I have tried holding like a mini rifle but find it uncomfortable. One handed is hard; the son seems to manage it ok though.
Balancing the rossi on the crook of the left arm and reaching back to hold either the butt or right elbow seems to make sense...it is a steady posture.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Two handed with the front hand pushing out and the rear hand pulling back makes it pretty stable.
If you use a sling on the saddle ring adjusted so that it is tight when pushing forward in the shooting position it is even more stable.