Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-17-2010, 09:32 AM

Default draw info

I think a few items need to be cleared up about the draws and archery.

If crossbows are introduced there will be an increased harvest (Im not even going to get into the argument about the effectivness of crossbows vs bows beacuse it doesnt matter), not sure how much but there will be an increase due to more people in the field. In a few zones it is close to going onto draw for archery right now, this will tip the scales and put it on draw. The thing alot of you guys arn't seeing is that archers are given approx 10% of the alllotment right now and general season is 90%. thsi is because archers make up about 10% of the hunters....sooooo.....

If Archery and crossbow are combined that will increase the numbers of "archery" allocations. So now as a rifle hunter you will have to wait longer for a rifle tag!

For arguments sake lets use a number of 30%. If there is an influx of crossbow hunters and now "Archery" tags make up 30% of the total hunters then it will be draw and instead of the rifle guys getting a 90% allotment they will now get 70% of the tags!

Last edited by Sharp Stick; 12-17-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheep Reaper View Post
I think a few items need to be cleared up about the draws and archery.

If crossbows are introduced there will be an increased harvest (Im not even going to get into the argument about the effectivness of crossbows vs bows beacuse it doesnt matter), not sure how much but there will be an increase due to more people in the field. In a few zones it is close to going onto draw for archery right now, this will tip the scales and put it on draw. The thing alot of you guys arn't seeing is that archers are given approx 10% of the alllotment right now and general season is 90%. thsi is because archers make up about 10% of the hunters....sooooo.....

If Archery and crossbow are combined that will increase the numbers of "archery" allocations. So now as a rifle hunter you will have to wait longer for a rifle tag!

For arguments sake lets use a number of 30%. If there is an influx of crossbow hunters and now "Archery" tags make up 30% of the total hunters then it will be draw and instead of the rifle guys getting a 90% allotment they will now get 70% of the tags!
well i think since compounds are essentially the same in effectiveness as the crossbow that the compound should be kicked out and put in with the general also, recurves/longbows only....this season would then have so few hunters that there likely wouldn't be any draws period....maybe will just go tool by tool, you get 12 weeks for spear hunting, 10 for traditional, 3 for compound, 3 for crossbow, 2 for the shotguns/muzzleloaders, 2 for the rifles or stick all the bows together and all the guns together and have season lengths that suit each?.....i'm guessing from management standpoint the two groups of weapons would be a lot easier to manage effectively? more commonsense approach?

enough sarcasm, i see it as the more bowhunters and bowhunting the better, because its an awesome way to hunt, allot the amount tags to match the numbers, whats wrong with that? they are doing it now as you say, why change that? anyhow, end of day more bowhunters and more bowhunting period is better....this inclusion could help that, i personally could introduce likely 3 people a year to their first deer with a crossbow in my stable of weapons all because of the extra daylight/weeknights/longer seasons/easier weather.....time really, the more time i can get people out the better and a one size fits all bow would really help just for introduction reasons alone! never mind the other opportunities it provides to existing hunters

just sayin

p.s. lol, just saw your avatar....pretty good