Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 PM

Default Near death experiences?

The "do you have a will" thread got me thinking. Who all here has been close to death but survived? Stories?

My story : At the age of 25 I suffered a freak stroke, I turned my head while watching a movie with the GF, and my neck pops, then I get sleepy. Next morning I was sick as a dog and couldn't walk, couldn't even stand up. Turns out my vertabrae crushed a major artery to my brain. I went unconscious in the waiting room. Doctor said I was extremely lucky to be alive, should have died the night before in my sleep. I suffered minor brain damage, lost my short term memory and had to learn how to walk again. for the most part, fully recovered now, but do still have issues from time to time.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 03-04-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
The "do you have a will" thread got me thinking. Who all here has been close to death but survived? Stories?

My story : At the age of 25 I suffered a freak stroke, I turned my head while watching a movie with the GF, and my neck pops, then I get sleepy. Next morning I was sick as a dog and couldn't walk, couldn't even stand up. Turns out my vertabrae crushed a major artery to my brain. I went unconcious in the waiting room. Doctor said I was extremely lucky to be alive, should have died the night before in my sleep. I suffered minor brain damage, lost my short term memory and had to learn how to walk again. for the most part, fully recovered now, but do still have issues from time to time.
Holy crap I crack my neck all the time. I am not going to do that anymore!
Glad you are doing well.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 PM

One of the first meals my wife cooked for me when we were dating was a near death experience!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Banned

Cool

lol.see oops on fishing discussion.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 PM

I got washed down the livingstone river from the campground to big pool by the bridge. I was very certain that I might die but somehow my waders didn't drown me and I made it out alive!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:51 PM

2009 rolled my truck doing 110 with my 18' tracker tundra on the back with no seat belt on. Truck rolled 7 times and threw me 40'. Came to in the ditch with a broken right femur and shattered shoulder blade. Orthopedic surgeon said it was the worst break she'd seen in her 38 years of practice. Very luck to be alive and wear my seat belt everywhere now.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 PM

On valentines day I left a trail of rose pedals from the front door to a sink full of dirty dishes. Barely made it out alive.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 PM

Fell through the ice on a dugout in February.

Worst part was getting out and having to walk home at -40.
I was sure that I would never get out of that dugout alive.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:05 PM

was trampled by one very p-----d off injured bull moose while tracking.it came out of nowhere,knocked me down,stepped on me and dislocated my ribs.it should have stepped thru me but was very lucky.not something i ever want to try again.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM

Default 3 times...it was a bad couple years...

Funny, I was going to start this thread a few weeks ago...

Had surgery on my parathyroids 6 years ago. (Those are the things that control the calcium in your body.) I think my surgeon was a sadist because he removed them all and let my blood calcium levels bottom out. 3 times. It was horrible. My hospital bed was surrounded by nurses, doctors and interns who were all scrambling around trying to keep me goin'. I vividly remember the one intern who sat beside me and held my hand (I had no muscle control, so was unable to communicate or squeeze the hell out of his hand, but he knew I was scared as hell!) What a nightmare...I could go on about how horrible that was, but I won't!

Then a few months later I was driving home form the BF's place when this thunderstorm produced some really heavy rain and my car started to hydroplane...I was going way too fast and was careening backwards down the highway doing over 100k (k, young and stupid) and narrowly missed an oncoming pressure truck and when heading into the opposite ditch, missed the barbed wire fence and then the slough...it was a miracle that I crossed on an approach!! Car stopped parallel to the road and I was able to drive out unscathed. Car was perfectly fine too. I've since changed my driving habits

And then the following winter was told I had pancreatic cancer...had a very big surgery for that, don't want to get into more details, but things are still looking good

So, some pretty personal stuff, but now you know why I believe in God!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:24 PM

Broke through the ice on a deep creek that was flowing tracking a bull moose that walked accross in the same spot......had to hold on the edge of the ice to keep from getting swept under...quick thinking by my Dad got me out of there....hypothermia is not something to be messed with.

A friend of mine caught malaria while on safari in Africa.....it never affected him till he got back home to Canada....he almost died from that and a guy who is writing a book on experiencing near death interviewed him.....told him he was probably at the last stage before you head to the light.

I saved my brother from drowning when he was a kid. We were out at wizard lake knee boarding and my brother was quite little....he was strapped into the knee board too tight and when he wiped out close to shore he could not detach from it, turn upside down and he was under it....I saw him struggling and swam out to him fully clothed to drag him back to shore....

LC
Old 03-04-2012, 08:02 PM

Still think about this one a lot. During my university years, I got a summer job building elevators for the Wheat pool. First job was in Didsbury, of all places. Elevators are cribbed, which basically means you lay one flat board on top of another, log cabin style and nail the **** out of it. Starts with 2x 10 on the bottom and by the time you get to the top it's 2x4. Anyway we had the walls at height and the man lift installed, which is a one man, stand on, platform that runs on a steel cable and takes the operator to the top of the bins. Thunderstorm moved in and we were told to leave the building. It was raining pretty good by now and I was the last guy down the lift. Just as I was stepping off the lift, everything went blank. Not long enough to fall, just went blank for a fraction of a second. Next thing I know, the rest of the crew is staring at me. As I was stepping off the lift, they told me I had fire coming from all my fingers, which jumped about 20 ft. to the bucket loop they were assembling and out into space. No burns or any after effects and there was no lightning strike. Only thing I could figure that the wet inner and outer layers of the elevator were making it act like a capacitor and I discharged it, when I came down.

Grizz
Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 PM

Back when I was still into whitewater kayaking I had a very close call.

We'd rent our boats from the university and head out to the mountains to do some whitewater. I'd always get a pretty mild boat for river running but this time all they had to pick from were rodeo boats. Oh well, whaddya gonna do?

My buddy went first, then me, then his father in law in a solo canoe. First set of rapids I spun around and flipped faster than you can say #$@*!

I tried rolling up but just couldn't get it, sometimes just enough to grab a quick breath but this boat was trying to kill me. I decided to swim for it - pulled the skirt off and tried to get out but it was a really tight fitting boat. I started freaking out but that didn't help either, it just wasted time and what little breath I had left. Then, I don't know what happened, whether I resigned myself to drowning or whether I knew I had to be calm to get out, but I distinctly remember sitting there upside down for a few moments, as if time had stopped, watching the rocks come straight at my face in slow motion (got a couple more scratches in my helmet) before slowly sliding the boat off like a pair of pants.

When I popped up on the surface my buddies were starting to get out of their boats... that's how long I had been under!

I guess the intense fear of drowning I've always had is what made whitewater so damn exciting.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM

Some pretty scary stories for sure.

Grizzly Adams, thats insane! Fire out of your fingers! Not a lot of people can say they did that! lol
Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 PM

When I was a teenager I was DD, driving my buddies home from the bar. It was a snowy night and the guys were kind of rowdy. A snow plow was coming down the road, opposite direction to our car. I moved over towards our shoulder to give the plow space since it looked like he might be over the line a little. The shoulder side tire slipped off the asphalt and we rode along like that a little. I let off the gas and tried to pull the tires back up on to the road. Pull the wheel a little - nothing. A little more - nothing. A little more and the tire bit. Next thing I knew we were in front of an oncoming snow plow. Turned the wheel to get us back on our side of the road, heading for the ditch now - a six foot drop off the side of the road. Turned the wheel one more time to keep us out of the ditch and the car spun out just in time to watch the rear wheels of the snow plow go past the front bumper of the car not 5 feet away. We sat there for a minute in the lane the snowplow had just been in thinking about how close we'd come to being a front page story in the local rag. It was a long, quite ride home after that.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 PM

Was in a highway tractor rollover in late 98. Had a tri axle liner on behind with 176 300 lb pigs on board. Doing 65 mph and got hit in the front end by an out of control car. Did a 180 with the whole unit and the unit came apart. Truck flipped end over end and landed on its wheels. Was in the passenger seat and ended up in the bunk where my ex wife was and should have had a broken neck. Soft tissue damage was all that I suffered. Ex wife got tossed out and separated all her ribs and broke her wrist. Guy driving ended up in between the front seats with bruises. Trailer laid over on its side and stayed intact without any pigs getting loose. Had I been wearing a seat belt I would have not made it.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Banned

Mount Andromemeda:

I fell into a crevasse

I was roped and my buddies pulled me out using a Z pulley system.

The Z pulley system works. Practice it often.

It is said Hell is full of fire.....maybe not.

Last edited by greylynx; 03-04-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 PM

Every night around 6:30! I think she's slowly poisoning me!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM

I collided with a moose on the highway
Old 03-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Almost drowned when I was 7 or 8, remember the "helpless" feeling and everything going blank, not much else though. Not a fan of swimming nowadays.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 PM

When I was four years old, I left the house unannounced, met up with my gfriend (she was four as well). On my tricycle, we headed for the woods to "shoot bears and wolves" with my slingshot. We got lost and spent the night in a sugar shack and were rescued in the morning by firefighters. We could have froze to death or never found.

When I was six I was suck in by a whirlpool in a fast river and I almost drowned. I was saved by my father's intuition and brother's hand. I needed be brought back.

I was attacked by th neibour's St. Bernard when I was 12. Took a chunk out of me and really beat me up. My brother fought him off with a rock and a fence post. I can't watch Cujo because of that, freaks me out..They put the dog down.

At 18 I hydroplaied on my speeding motorcycle in the rain and lost control on a busy highway. Blew'er all over te road yet missed every vehicle--slid right past on.

When I was 23 I had an ankle surgery and died on te operating table and they brought me back. I was never able to thank them...

At 37 I had a gastroectomy and nearly blead to death. The charge nurse and my surgeons saved my life. The doctor on call ignored the issues--too busy cruising the young nurses.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 PM

hmmmm, almost getting stabbed by the top of a tree I was falling, I only had about 4 feet to manuevre do to my location so I side stepped and let it stab into the ground

hit really soft ground backing a dozer near a cliff edge and almost rolled it down to the high voltage line right of way.

dozer took off like ice skates going into a switch back with a half mile drop off below.

treecoming through dozer from up the bank

head on collsion after some freak ice patch spun me out of control on hwy

almost got mashed by a 15foot high hemlock blowdown stump after I bucked the tree off

been within touching distance of a mother bear and two cubs

another pretty heavyduty crash into a tree when the steering fell apart on my old ford.. the front passenger tire was touching the passenger seat

was about 2 inches from getting creamed by a larch loaded larch tree that whipped out when I cut it off, coulda sworn that was it for the left leg though..

jumping at a bear I thought was my friend, luckily he took off

There's a few more but those are the ones that are more memorable

death gets oh soo very close so many times it's gotta have him ****ed off by now
Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 PM

Default near death

We rented a cabin just north of Qualicum a few years ago and and I was showing my kids how you could get fresh clams and cook 'em for dinner. They don't really like that sort of thing so.... with a little butter and garlic I sure enjoyed them. Next day I was so stiff I could hardly move, sore and achey all over, figured it was a crappy bed and a bad nights sleep.
Found out two days later that red tide kills the average person. Dodged the big one there! Won't do that again.

Geo
Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklerdog View Post
We rented a cabin just north of Qualicum a few years ago and and I was showing my kids how you could get fresh clams and cook 'em for dinner. They don't really like that sort of thing so.... with a little butter and garlic I sure enjoyed them. Next day I was so stiff I could hardly move, sore and achey all over, figured it was a crappy bed and a bad nights sleep.
Found out two days later that red tide kills the average person. Dodged the big one there! Won't do that again.

Geo
Geo,

holy cow man.
Just did a quick read on red tide.... wow
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/r...nation-eng.htm

you are lucky the kids didnt eat any
Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 PM

No near death experiences but I've been close to death a few times in my life.
The closest was likely when I turtled my Fireball sailing dinghy.
Cat
Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 PM

This thread makes me want to stay home. Inside. With my children. Forever.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:45 PM

Got in a bad accident a little over a month ago coulda very easily died with one of many minor changes to the scenario. Came out of it physically unscathed. Mentally nightmares are a bitch. Cant give out too many details as it was in a comapny vehicle.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
This thread makes me want to stay home. Inside. With my children. Forever.

Life would be danged boring if a person did that- mine , on the other hand, has been full of excitement and adventure!
Cat
Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Life would be danged boring if a person did that- mine , on the other hand, has been full of excitement and adventure!
Cat
Yes, this is true.

I've only had a couple personally. Couple of bad wrecks. Came pretty close this year to being tagged by a rattler in Arizona.

I guess considering my hobbies and love of adrenaline, I've been pretty fortunate!

(Knock on wood.)
Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 PM

Was like 3-4 and fell in an irrigation canal by taber. Don't remember who pulled me out just before I went into a culvert with bars on the other end. Certain death. I'm 44 and can still see the person reach into the water for me but the surface of the water was rippled and can't make out a face.