Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I am sooooooo tired of Mark Spector and his schtick. Oh how I wish Sportsnet would ditch him and move on.

I can write his columns for him at this point and be pretty much word for word. No real insight, always negative, always picking on somebody or something (and usually the same 3 or 4 guys), and then a line or two at the end about something positive as though that makes it all OK. Same old, same old, every time.

I don't want a guy that's just a cheerleader either (Principe), but the guy's a black cloud. If I were a player (or anyone for that matter) in the Oilers' organization, I wouldn't give that guy the time of day.

P.S. I think Spector might post on AO as 1899b.
Ha ha ok enough of that...
Old 12-18-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I am sooooooo tired of Mark Spector and his schtick. Oh how I wish Sportsnet would ditch him and move on.

I can write his columns for him at this point and be pretty much word for word. No real insight, always negative, always picking on somebody or something (and usually the same 3 or 4 guys), and then a line or two at the end about something positive as though that makes it all OK. Same old, same old, every time.

I don't want a guy that's just a cheerleader either (Principe), but the guy's a black cloud. If I were a player (or anyone for that matter) in the Oilers' organization, I wouldn't give that guy the time of day.

P.S. I think Spector might post on AO as 1899b.
So negative, negative, negative, than a positive at the end?
Old 12-18-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
Edmonton is going to win today. That is a given. The only thing left to chance is how high they will run up the score.
Maybe not, Talbot is starting.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Maybe not, Talbot is starting.
Oh don't be so negative...
Old 12-18-2018, 01:13 PM

And yes I am Mark. But not Spector...

Old 12-18-2018, 01:50 PM

Even with Talbot in net I think they will win. They will just outscore the Blues.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:04 PM
Banned

3rd period and it's 1-1 ??? So much for the Oilers filling up the net with goals
Old 12-18-2018, 09:27 PM

Just had a peek. 3-1 Blues. But Oil look better than the Flames in their lacklustre loss tonight. Blech. Still time for Oilers to win...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-18-2018, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie View Post
it's not going to get any easier for the mighty oil.

Blues are up next.

Just saw hitch doing the post game stuff.. Was he wearing a cape??
called it!!!
Old 12-18-2018, 09:28 PM

So did Hitch's moaning and sniveling the other day work? are the refs giving the superstar more room?? Guess the league is supposed to stand back and not touch him? Like he isn't fast enough already.
Brutal crosscheck to the head there Khaira.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
So did Hitch's moaning and sniveling the other day work? are the refs giving the superstar more room?? Guess the league is supposed to stand back and not touch him? Like he isn't fast enough already.
Brutal crosscheck to the head there Khaira.
Just returning the favour I believe on that cross check.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:01 PM

I missed the first and second. Wish I missed more...

At least we out scored the flames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2018, 10:24 PM

Tonight was most definitely NOT a good night to be an Alberta hockey fan.

Sigh...
Old 12-18-2018, 10:29 PM

Old 12-18-2018, 11:09 PM
Banned

I have to find a replay of that goal. The few I have seen don't spend long enough to even find the puck.

Tampa, Van, SJ and the Jets.

This will be a MAJOR test on that team. They need 4/8 points to stay in it.
You go on a 5 game losing streak and your done.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:15 PM
Banned

Ok.. I have watched the High lights on the Oiler official page. Can someone tell me where the puck is? Is it in his glove? Or under his pad?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Ok.. I have watched the High lights on the Oiler official page. Can someone tell me where the puck is? Is it in his glove? Or under his pad?
It was under his pad. I saw view that showed the puck well and good into the net. Now you want to talk about the pad being pushed or goalie interference, thats a different convo.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
It was under his pad. I saw view that showed the puck well and good into the net. Now you want to talk about the pad being pushed or goalie interference, thats a different convo.

As someone who scored a ton of garbage goals over the years, I’m begrudgingly ok with it.

I only say begrudgingly because there’s more than a fair chance the call would have gone differently had it happened to some of the league’s favourite teams. I wonder if that would be called good if it were against the leafs?

Not whining , they played like crap (again) and certainly deserved the loss.

Tips From The Armchair: Winning face offs is important. Try it. You’ll see. I promise.

Ugh

Old 12-19-2018, 07:53 AM

Yeah, was only able to listen to the game. I heard a lot of lost face offs and absolutely nothing on the pp.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:01 AM

Well I was wrong. This following clip is exactly how I am feeling right now (as Abe Simpson).

https://youtu.be/BnBr56xFCzk
Old 12-19-2018, 09:18 AM

First things first, I don't think that's a goal. I didn't see any clear video evidence that it crossed the goal line, and I always thought you had to ACTUALLY SEE IT, for it to count, especially when the ruling on the ice was no goal. Secondly, since when can you push the goalie into the net and have that count? I will never understand NHL officiating or video review. I'm not sure it's actually possible.

As for my review, it's gonna be negative.

They came out flat. I expected STL to come out firing after getting blasted, and they didn't match that intensity. They played pretty solid hockey after that. Pool Party and co had several very good shifts, the 3rd and 4th lines were giving solid minutes, and McDavid was generating a few chances, although the top line looked a bit out of sync all night. 1-1 after two isn't bad at all when you're carrying the play. I think they bounce back from the terrible second goal and tie it or win if Khaira doesn't take that penalty, but we'll never know.

Khaira is likely gonna get suspended a couple games for that is my guess. That was really out of character for him.

Regardless, I completely agree with Hitch, the game wasn't lost in the 3rd, it was lost late in the first and in the second when they went 0-6 on the power play. That simply can't happen. You make STL pay for 2 or 3 of those penalties, and the game looks completely different, it's likely a 4 or 5 to 1 victory where you can cruise to the end. The power play is down right awful, WAY too much standing around. You've got the best player in the world and 2 other guys that are dynamic skaters and puck handlers and you have them all standing still in set spots, trying to force passes through that aren't there. I sure hop Hitch gets it fixed, and quick. It's BAD.

I think it was DeBrusk pointed it out, and he's bang on about our D. They're playing conservative and defensively, which they have to. Other than Nurse, there's no one joining in on the rush or looking to add offense. In today's NHL, that's really going to hurt your chances of creating offense and scoring. You don't realize how good what you have is until it's gone, and man, are they missing Klefbom and Russell. I think Jones has potential, but he's very raw, and Garrison just isn't an every day NHL defenseman. Gravel has been solid and a pleasant surprise, Benning is Benning (bleh), and they're riding the Nurse/Larsson pairing to death because they have to.

Talbot played fairly well, but he MUST make those two extra saves if he wants to get more starts. I don't care how good Perron's shot was, and it was good, it shouldn't matter. There simply shouldn't be a hole there for the puck to go through. That has to hit the goalie 99 times out of 100 if he's playing it right. Tarasenko's was tougher to stop, but much the same.

I agree with the post above about the next stretch. They're playing at home, and if they don't get 4 of the next 8 pts against a really tough schedule, they'll be in a world of hurt.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
First things first, I don't think that's a goal. I didn't see any clear video evidence that it crossed the goal line, and I always thought you had to ACTUALLY SEE IT, for it to count, especially when the ruling on the ice was no goal.
You don't. There have been several instances were the puck has been in the glove, the glove has crossed the line, and its been called a goal.

Calling that a goal was suspect at best though.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
You don't. There have been several instances were the puck has been in the glove, the glove has crossed the line, and its been called a goal.

I wish I could show you the highlight of what I saw. No B.S, that puck was 1/2way to the back of the net. Sportsnet zoomed in on it and you could see it plain as day.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:05 AM

Interesting side note to the game.
Hitchcock sent Lucic to serve the 5 minute cross checking major.
You can say that Lucic doesn't kill a lot of penalties, but the same can be said for other players as well.

Hitchcock sending a message? Was there an explanation given on the broadcast or any of the sports shows?
Old 12-19-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I get that, but from any angle they had on Sportsnet, you knew the puck was somewhere under the pad, but you didn't know exactly where. To my mind that's very different than a puck in the glove, where the entire glove has crossed the goal line. I have seen numerous replays where the explanation was simply that there was no clear visual proof of the puck crossing the goal line, and therefore it was not a goal. I think that's especially true when the initial call was no goal, as overturning the call on the ice is supposed to require proof. That's one of my main issues with it being called a goal.

It's also completely different if the the glove is pushed into the net by an opposing player vs. the goalie just allowing his glove with the puck in it to cross the goal line on his own. His pad was pushed into the net.

Suspect at best for sure.

Regardless, that goal should not have determined a winner or loser, and I don't think it ultimately did. It should have been 3 or 4 to 2 at that point, and there was lots of time left.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
You can say that Lucic doesn't kill a lot of penalties, but the same can be said for other players as well.

Hitchcock sending a message? Was there an explanation given on the broadcast or any of the sports shows?
Makes sense. There is something not ticking right. He has no fire. After all the Lucic lambasting in press and media in the offseason, he is still the same as last year. NHL clubs don’t bench vets anymore like back in the day. Serving hat 5 minute penalty might as well have been a message.

As for Khaira, what a selfish play when the score was 2-1. Hitchcock rewards him with the center position for last nights game, where he is much better and goes and does that?? Cmon..
Old 12-19-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Look at the goal line. It is so poorly defined that in places, it appears that the blue paint extends into the red goal line and in other places it appears that the goal line was painted freehand .

I've seen this on several of these close calls on the goal line. The more they zoom in, the less precise the image appears.

I've wondered if the NHL has some methods/views that viewers are unaware of.
Perhaps a fine line that extends from the the back of one goalpost to the back of the other that gets superimposed on the camera's view. I dunno, just spit ballin'.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post

There was no explanation. I'm not sure on the NHL rules, but I would assume it's as simple as it had to be someone that was on the ice at the time to serve the penalty, and Lucic doesn't kill penalties, so he was the obvious choice.

I don't see any reason to read into it beyond that. I thought he was having a decent game.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I wish I could show you the highlight of what I saw. No B.S, that puck was 1/2way to the back of the net. Sportsnet zoomed in on it and you could see it plain as day.
I seen that, but had the whistle blown before that point? The Oilers didn't play good enough to win, so it really doesn't matter. There are no gimmie's in the NHL and they need to play their best every game if they want to play in May.

BW
Old 12-19-2018, 11:27 AM

So is the Hitch/Players honeymoon over?? This has been predicted by some of the pundits.