Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-19-2018, 06:07 AM

Default Ordering Gun Parts from the States

I have noticed the last little while that people are ordering gun parts from the States. I was under the impression it was vertoten. What is going on, are the rules being relaxed or enforcement down? Why are riflescopes still verboten?

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-19-2018, 06:44 AM

Certain items are exempted, and some companies get export permits,but riflescopes are still covered by ITAR. Our government at the time had the option of opting out of this, but they declined.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:27 AM

As Elk said ' certain ' parts are ok and certain parts are not. Last time I ordered a timney trigger from Brownells they said they would send it but I had to first fill out an " end user form " basically stating I would not resell and it was for my own use. She also told me that under no circumstance would they send ANYTHING used on or related to an AR platform gun.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:39 AM

Default permit

If the US has the required export permits $$$$$$$$$$the can ship to Canada.Usually not bolts ,actions or barrels.Numrich Gun Parts etc
Old 12-19-2018, 07:47 AM

Clay at prophet river seems to be able to import pretty much anything if you have the cash. I’ve had lots of scopes bullet barrels stocks and triggers imported.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:55 AM

Like most things there are rules and if you abide by the rules you are good. Importing scopes included. It certainly can be done.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-19-2018, 08:42 AM

I built an entire Garand, using mostly imported parts, only the barrel and bolt were problematic.

Grizz
Old 12-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Default Yet

You can't import M1 carbine parts........the world is a safer place because of it.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:50 PM

The situation is set to improve next year, as Trump's changes come into effect. Not sure exactly when the date is, it is out there, and the notices from State and ATF are out there, it will take a bit to sort it all out as to what State & ATF will do in the way of EAR policy definitions yet for sure, but, it is changing in the near future. Many items are coming off the ITAR munitions list. I believe brass and bullets, barrels, odds and ends and warranty repair services are to go back to the way things were before ITAR, but, some items will still be requiring export permits, not licences.. Some export outfits down there have posted some articles on it, but, nobody has come out and said, what is actually what in black and white, yet. For sure, the exemption limit will go to 500.00.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:30 PM

I just got this message on an order I placed with Natchez:

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately, rifle/handgun/shotgun scopes and mounts require an export license to ship to Canada. Our company does not ship any item that requires an export license. I will not be able to send it to you.

The ITAR restrictions in this category are per the USML which states:

This category does not cover riflescopes and sighting devices that are not manufactured to military specification.

Last edited by SnipeHunter; 12-19-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:09 PM

Cabelas, Optics planet, Midway, and a host of others won't ship that sort of stuff either. Scopes were what they all got busted on years ago, Cabelas had over 1,000,000.00 in fines from it from two prosecutions. Think Gander Mtn and Basspro were in there as well.
That's the way it is for now. There are exemptions available on some scopes, but, it is too complicated for the people in their organisation to be bothered with, for the amount of sales they get from it, and the expense involved. It's simpler to just not process those kinds of product.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:50 PM

Prophet River, Irunguns and Aztec Armoury are able to import most items for you.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Prophet River, Irunguns and Aztec Armoury are able to import most items for you.
The way I've been told is that every sku# is subject to an export license and the associated fees. It doesn't matter how many of those items you order, the fee is the same. $x for 1, $x for 100. Thats how these outfits work. Someone wants to order a left hand safety for a rem 870, they import a shwack of them and warehouse the rest until they sell out.

Colin
Old 12-20-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I built an entire Garand, using mostly imported parts, only the barrel and bolt were problematic.

Grizz
Companies I dealt with ad export licenses. No hassles.

Grizz
Old 12-20-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post

She also told me that under no circumstance would they send ANYTHING used on or related to an AR platform gun.
Funny, I just had an AR trigger and Magpul stock shipped to my door from Brownells...
Filled out the End-User form also.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
You can't import M1 carbine parts........the world is a safer place because of it.
Ya ain’t that the truth. I tried ordering a simple Wolfs Spring kit and nope!!
Old 12-28-2018, 09:51 PM

Default US gunparts

I ordered Wolf springs for one of my popguns and had no problems. Delivery to my door by post. Ordered a firing pin for one of my more obscure shooters and got that one by post as well. I did have to sign their form to the effect that I would not resell or send to another country.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:18 PM
Banned

I've used real precision shooting - aka rps - a few times as their prices are competitive with fast delivery. Edmonton area saves shipping! Prophet river is reasonable too just a bit slower. You can also do your own importing if u do your iic and have a usa exporter.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
As Elk said ' certain ' parts are ok and certain parts are not. Last time I ordered a timney trigger from Brownells they said they would send it but I had to first fill out an " end user form " basically stating I would not resell and it was for my own use. She also told me that under no circumstance would they send ANYTHING used on or related to an AR platform gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Funny, I just had an AR trigger and Magpul stock shipped to my door from Brownells...
Filled out the End-User form also.

Also have ordered and received "AR15" parts from Brownells.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:22 PM

Apparently DoC and ATF are putting on a seminar at SHOT to bring people up to speed on the new changes and when they will be implemented. Could be as soon as Feb. possibly.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Sorta kinda rules -

I've ordered numerous bits and pieces over the years, including optics, action parts and components. Only one scope has been returned to sender, from a dealer with the correct licenses. So many rules, and I really think it depends who is handling your order and their understanding of the rules. I think ordering through a broker like Prophet might give you a better chance of success.