Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2018, 02:15 AM
Banned

Default Please share your experiences of purchasing a horse 'online'

If you've purchased online, especially if you purchased a horse over a long distance, would you mind sharing your experience?

How do you arrange for a vet check? Is there anything special you'd request beyond a normal vet check if you were buying from outside the country?.

I am Just curious, at this point, about how the whole thing works. How do you protect yourself against fraud, especially if dealing with someone outside the country? and buying with Canada?.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2018, 09:11 AM

Always go see the animal in person. While the animal might be sound in a vet check, etc., you won't be able to actually tell temperment or if the animal will get along with you over the phone, skype chat, etc. That can be a very expensive lesson.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Always go see the animal in person. While the animal might be sound in a vet check, etc., you won't be able to actually tell temperment or if the animal will get along with you over the phone, skype chat, etc. That can be a very expensive lesson.
absolutely!!
Old 12-19-2018, 10:00 AM

I had to put down a great horse several years ago. I was looking for a replacement and found a decent looking buckskin on Kijiji who also came with great deal of training. I bought this guy mainly based on looks figuring I could grow into his credentials and he may accept the challenge of training me up to his level. Layed down a deposit drove 2 hours to pick him up. Watched him walk for about 50 yards, loaded him up and brought him home. Young 4 year old that on the very first ride spooked at something in the grass. Result was me landing on my head with whiplash and concussion. Doc ordered me off horses for 6 months to get my noodle back into the game. 3 months later I was back on him, and since then quite a few miles and we're ok. Very solid ride that I can count on under a multitude of situations.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I also agree with this, chances are if there’s a problem with its movement it may have been given something to help it pass a vet check. Some owners may not outright lie but they also may not fully disclose any issues,
Old 12-19-2018, 10:16 AM

Best advise if your buying on line without checking out in person, don't. There are good horse all over the country to check out in person. But there is also a lot of bad ones to get " horse traded" by on line. Take a saddle with you and ask the seller if you can go for a ride on him. Good seller will do this and take you out. Also good sellers will tell you to try him, and if he don't work out bring him back. If they do this ,you know he is selling you the animal he said it is. My 2 cents worth and what I do anyway.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:16 AM

I like to know that I can work on their hooves without getting kicked, stomped or bit. But maybe that is just me

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:33 AM

Buying a horse on line is something that I wouldn't even consider.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:09 AM

Default Don't do it. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm12 View Post
If you've purchased online, especially if you purchased a horse over a long distance, would you mind sharing your experience?

How do you arrange for a vet check? Is there anything special you'd request beyond a normal vet check if you were buying from outside the country?.

I am Just curious, at this point, about how the whole thing works. How do you protect yourself against fraud, especially if dealing with someone outside the country? and buying with Canada?.

Thanks

From the first time a human being threw a leg over a horses back, horse trading has always been, always is and will always be-buyer beware.

I've seen horses tranquillized to hide soundness problems and tranquillized to cover up negative behavioural problems. I could write a book and seriously impact band width on the world wide web if shared with you all that i have seen.

Just don't do it.

Creeky....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 12-19-2018, 01:20 PM

Don't do it. Also be very leery of the terms ' needs an experienced handler ' or would be a good horse with some work' or spirited horse for sale.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:33 PM

I would buy a wife online long before I bought a Horse sight unseen!
Old 12-19-2018, 01:35 PM

I bought one online. When I went to pick it up it had three legs.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:43 PM

never bought any on line but have sold lots . i usually tell prospective buyers to call my vet . they usually give an honest opinion .
Old 12-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
never bought any on line but have sold lots . i usually tell prospective buyers to call my vet . they usually give an honest opinion .
Do you have any for sale right now?. Where do you post them.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:21 PM
Banned

Thank You all guys. My fear was as good as your responses.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
Buying a horse on line is something that I wouldn't even consider.
We sold several on line, including overseas, but if you're looking purely for a riding horse, a test drive is essential.

Grizz
Old 12-20-2018, 05:24 PM
Banned

Just make sure it doesn't show up at the door dressed in a Chippendales outfit.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:36 PM

Same exact situation as buying a cheap golden bridge online..
Old 12-20-2018, 08:23 PM

Default Hay Burners

I have a hard enough time buying them in person ! Online... not a chance.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:32 PM

I just bought one online a couple of weeks ago. My friend owns the stallion (Sweeter than Pepto), I know the mare’s sire (Merit Award) and the trainer is a handy, reputable guy. We watched some videos of him, made a fair offer, and bought him sight unseen. We didn’t give a deposit so could have walked when we picked him up if he wasn’t as advertised.

I think there are some bargains now as many sellers are very motivated on account of the high price of hay.

What are you looking for and what is your price range?

Avoid horse traders like the plague. Some of them should be in jail for the stunts they’ve pulled to unload fixed up horses.

Gerry Burnie
Old 12-21-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Best advise if your buying on line without checking out in person, don't. There are good horse all over the country to check out in person. But there is also a lot of bad ones to get " horse traded" by on line. Take a saddle with you and ask the seller if you can go for a ride on him. Good seller will do this and take you out. Also good sellers will tell you to try him, and if he don't work out bring him back. If they do this ,you know he is selling you the animal he said it is. My 2 cents worth and what I do anyway.
Too bad the same doesnt apply to future wives.......

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-21-2018, 09:46 AM

Bought one over the phone, seller told me 'he didn't look so good' but I thought what the heck, I will ride a horse of any colour, as long as he is sound. Got him home and found out the seller was right ...... he didn't look so good.................. he was blind......

Moral of the story.... BUYER BEWARE...

Last edited by saddleup; 12-21-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm12 View Post
Do you have any for sale right now?. Where do you post them.
none for sale right now . usually post on " northern horse" and kijiji. i sent one to the island last year (i see your in victoria)
Old 12-22-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
Bought one over the phone, seller told me 'he didn't look so good' but I thought what the heck, I will ride a horse of any colour, as long as he is sound. Got him home and found out the seller was right ...... he didn't look so good.................. he was blind......

Moral of the story.... BUYER BEWARE...
cute