Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-08-2013, 09:55 PM

Default starting reloading

I am interested in some experience reloaders thoughts.

I would like to start baiting wolves this coming december-march.

My thoughts are that this will require the ability to shoot a very long distance, up to one kilometer.

Has anyone baited wolves and if so, how far away are you setting up your blind from the bait site.

My thoughts would be that because your dealing with wolves, the further from the bait the better.

so for that reason, I am considering the purchase of a 22-250, to allow me extremely long distance shots.

I currently shoot a lever .308 and although I love this gun, is it the right calibre for this ?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Banned

I can think of much bettervarmint cartridges than a 22-250 for 1000 yard shots. A 25-06 with varmint bullets would probably be better. I shoot a 22-250 myself but the '06 would be a better choice. 243 would do well too
Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 PM

You certainly don't need to shoot 1000 yards to kill wolves over bait, and it's a good thing, because the great majority of shooters couldn't kill a wolf at half that distance.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You certainly don't need to shoot 1000 yards to kill wolves over bait, and it's a good thing, because the great majority of shooters couldn't kill a wolf at half that distance.
Well said
Old 09-09-2013, 06:38 AM

If your bait is 1000 yards from any cover good luck getting any wolves to it. There is absolutely no need to take 1000 yard shots at baited wolves. The 22-250 is one of the last choices for that task. barely enough gun for wolves if you keep it under 200.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:40 AM

If I where wanting a gun to shoot out to 1000m I would be looking at a 7mm Rem or similar cal. and mounting a quality FFP mil/mil on it. Expect to spend at least $4000 gun&scope
Old 09-09-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Can you? Why not pass on some pointers instead of criticizing any attempt to stretch distance?

OP advice on rifle: I would avoid the 22-250 for long range work. Standard twist rates max usable range at about 500 meters. Get a good quality 30 mm scope that gives lots of vertical adjustment, get a 20 MOA rail, 7 mm Rem mag is a dandy cartridge for these games. Zero scope for 300 meters and shoot the come-ups before the game begins. Also study temp changes and what will happen to ammo when temps drop. Also temp check your scope for cold weather function. My Leupold variables need pipe wrenches on power select ring in -15C temp.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Banned

There is an F class shoot coming up this weekend with a day's of introduction on saturday and the match on sunday. It's at the one the ranges at Homestead, not far out of Calgary. You would be well advised to take it in before you take the plunge. Once you have invested in equipment capable of successfully making the shot, wind and mirage readings is your next obstacle.

I've also heard a few names of some of those in attendance. There will certainly be some knowledgable and friendly people there to pass on some good advise.

Last edited by gitrdun; 09-09-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 AM

Learn to crawl before you learn to fly.... One does not simply start reloading and shooting at 1000 yards.

LC
Old 09-09-2013, 08:51 AM

You will need to learn a lot about ballistics, bullet weight vs velocity, drift and drop, barrel twist for the bullet and cartridge and velocity you pick, temp change characteristics of the powder, and how it will affect the velocity. You will need a gun that can do it, a cartridge and bullet combo that can deliver the consistency you need, and a LOT of practice to learn about shooting it. A wolf isn't a big fixed target, it is a moving target, with a reaction to being shot at, even over bait. At 1000yds, you need a crosshair or whatever reticle, that doesn't completely cover it, and a scope that you can see them in, at that range, in early AM light. A couple of missed shots, and your bait likely won't be something they will come near anymore, at least in daylight.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Banned

^^^ and let's not forget to add time of flight in the equation. Can you estimate where that wolf will be 1.69 seconds after you pull the trigger (that's how long it takes a 107 SMK to reach 1000 yards in my 6BR at 2900 fps muzzle velocity). Lot's of things to consider for sure. No doubt that LR shooting is a lot of fun as I have recently found out. But, I will be punching a lot of paper and steel before I will feel comfortable with game animals. Even so, I doubt that I'll ever attempt it, but that's just me.

And, consider that there are no wind flags between you and the intended target. And at the time which you plan to hunt, there are no leaves on the trees, vegetation is scarce, these are good indicators of wind direction. So, you'll rely on mirage. And that is a whole other learning curve.

Last edited by gitrdun; 09-09-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
There is an F class shoot coming up this weekend with a day's of introduction on saturday and the match on sunday. It's at the one the ranges at Homestead, not far out of Calgary.
Oh for the luv o' #%#! It would have to be this weekend wouldn't it! Looks like another thing goes on the 'maybe next year' list!

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Learn to crawl before you learn to fly.... One does not simply start reloading and shooting at 1000 yards.

LC
Great advice.

I have not been reloading for very long, but what I have been able to do in that time is improve my shot grouping. I don't do much for the long range due mainly to the type of cartridge I am reloading for, but what I have found is that higher velocity does not always mean better accuracy. And I have also found that some powders provide better performance than others, and same with bullets. Some may be good at making holes in paper, but not in killing animals. And I have yet to learn all the little intricacies of what the spent casing is trying to say to me. Each spent casing has a story to tell if you are willing to look, and to understand. One day I will be there, but not yet.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 AM

But if you get started now with a bit of practise hits at 500 meters will get easy. Find a field, set out some steel targets, get someone to spot, school is in session.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 AM

Iam sure the op is a reasonably intelligent person,when he/she actually starts shooting at long ranges he will soon figure out that it takes a lot of practice, no need to rain on his parade. When I started shooting/reloading I learned everything on my own as none of my family or friends at the time where gun owners.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Banned

I don't see how giving advise and inviting him to an informal and free seminar on the topic could be deemed "raining on his parade".

I am fortunate enough to have a couple of esteemed forum members coach me as Dale suggests. And within just a few days, I am making consistent hits at 800metres (880 yards). Haven't stretched it beyond that as I needed a 20 moa rail. However, without their wind dopping, bullets would be flying far from the mark. Hooking up with an experienced LR shooter is great advise.

Last edited by gitrdun; 09-09-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I don't see how giving advise and inviting him to an informal and free seminar on the topic could be deemed "raining on his parade".

I am fortunate enough to have a couple of esteemed forum members coach me as Dale suggests. And within just a few days, I am making consistent hits at 800metres (880 yards). Haven't stretched it beyond that as I needed a 20 moa rail. However, without their wind dopping, bullets would be flying far from the mark. Hooking up with an experienced LR shooter is great advise.
I was not pointing my post at you, infact I think it is an excellent idea to go to the event you posted. It just seems every time someone mentions 1000M some people have a fit at the very idea that someone would attempt shoot that far.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
x2
Old 09-09-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Can you? Why not pass on some pointers instead of criticizing any attempt to stretch distance?
My post was to make it clear that a person does not need to shoot 1000 yards to kill wolves over bait. If you set up properly, you can shoot wolves over bait at under 200 yards. Now if you want to shoot 1000 yards feel free, but it certainly isn't a requirement for shooting wolves over bait.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
I was not pointing my post at you, infact I think it is an excellent idea to go to the event you posted. It just seems every time someone mentions 1000M some people have a fit at the very idea that someone would attempt shoot that far.
No offence taken friend, all good.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM

To the OP ,invest in a quality rangefinder and upgrade to a quality long range scope, in that order.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 PM

I missed a coyote at 640ish yesterday. Then went and shot steel at 1130. I can't even blame the miss on the gun.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
If it was directed at me I was not raining on the parade but simply pointing out there are steps to take to go from A-Z....especially when a live target is involved ....just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

LC
Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
My post was to make it clear that a person does not need to shoot 1000 yards to kill wolves over bait. If you set up properly, you can shoot wolves over bait at under 200 yards. Now if you want to shoot 1000 yards feel free, but it certainly isn't a requirement for shooting wolves over bait.
I thought your post was pretty clear.

I will certainly go where people may have thought you were going. No one should be shooting at animals at 1000 yards. Save that for steel. All animals, even wolves, deserve a humane kill. If you can't have a reasonable expectation of killing an animal cleanly, do not go in the field. Stay home and get your jollies off the latest tv show.

There are F-Class shooters who are successful at that range, but my guess, and that's all it is, is that there are not many who can shoot that distance with enough accuracy and consistency, to be shooting at animals.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 PM

The kill on a wolf is an 8-10 inch circle (being generous ).....try smacking that at half the distance in field conditions all the time

I would also agree that the 22-250 is not the choice for a potential 1000 yard shot on a wolf.

LC
Old 09-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
The kill on a wolf is an 8-10 inch circle (being generous ).....try smacking that at half the distance in field conditions all the time

I would also agree that the 22-250 is not the choice for a potential 1000 yard shot on a wolf.

LC
lefty....yer the best!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
lefty....yer the best!
Lol don't you know it

LC
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

LC
The Drayton Valley rodeo sure made that pretty darn clear.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 AM

i'd poke a wolf at a 1000yds with a 22-250.
with a 7 twist 28" heavy barrel running 90gr bergers at 2900 fps.
off a front rest and rear bag.
while the wolf is feeding on a frozen bait pile. lee
Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
i'd poke a wolf at a 1000yds with a 22-250.
with a 7 twist 28" heavy barrel running 90gr bergers at 2900 fps.
off a front rest and rear bag.
while the wolf is feeding on a frozen bait pile. lee
You can make the shot though

LC