Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-10-2013, 04:12 PM

Default Steel Shot in 2200 Winchester

Have a older model Winchester 2200 12 gauge shot gun and have heard that older guns such as this may not take kindly to steel shot. Wonder if someone may know for sure. The gun is in good condition and I use it for upland game with lead shot. Been invited on a goose shoot but sure don't want to have any unfortunate incidents to try to explain to the law.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:06 PM

Not sure about your shotgun but my dad gave me his old brown auto5 and I had a choke for steel put in. The shot gun is from the 60 and handles the steel fine. I would do an online search regarding you gun and steel shot and have a choke tube installed if your barrel is ok for steel. I did some research and found that most shotguns from the 60s on have strong enough barrels to handle steel. Just don't use a full choke shotgun. Do some research. I also realize that the barrel on the auto 5 was not designed for steel so if I shot a ton of steel through it, I will wear it out. So I only use it for the odd duck hunt. You could use matrix or heavy shot if you don't mind spending some cash.

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 09-10-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:06 PM

I did some searching online. Although I did not find anything definite it was suggested that if you have a full choke not to use it. Well the barrel that is on the shottie is a full choke so it may have to be my upland bird gun. Also found a article that said no larger than #4 shot so that leaves it out also. Off to find a new shotgun.