Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-06-2013, 06:41 PM

It fits like a glove. And the trigger seems crisp and not heavy, yet not light. She makes a fine addition to the safe.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:59 PM

It does look Purdy, big congrats!! ....nice calibre to boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
It arrived.. omg is she pretty. .................
Old 09-06-2013, 07:39 PM

Really digging the sights.

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 09-06-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added same pic twice
Old 09-06-2013, 07:45 PM

No doubt should be some digging alright, like digging a hole for it! LMAO
Old 09-06-2013, 07:54 PM

push feed or control round feed???? she`s a nice!!!

i sold my paddled 270, she shot alot of game that girl and served me well..
Old 09-06-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeviation View Post
push feed or control round feed???? she`s a nice!!!

i sold my paddled 270, she shot alot of game that girl and served me well..
controlled round feed. If i get lost I can signal planes
Old 09-06-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
No doubt should be some digging alright, like digging a hole for it! LMAO
nah.. Its all in the eye of the beholder. It looks and feels way more solid and well built than my Weatherby S2 in .300wm, but we will see if it shoots as well.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
If anyone wants I have one in .338WM going to sell, have the original stock and the Hogue stock. Bead blasted it to take the glare off it. $500. Think I have 100 or so rounds loaded for it as well & Ruger 30mm rings.
I know this isn't the buy sell forum but the rifle is spoken for for now.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Aweful rifle!! I suggest you save yourself the headache and just sell it to me. I'll even give you what you paid for it so you feel okay.

Nice lookin shooter.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Just wondering if it was a special model due to the open sights.
Ruger M77 MkII RSP. Built like that from 1991 I think (was about when the Mk II came out?) until about '05. The Hawkeyes came out in '06 or so.

I have 2 RPs, a 30-06 and a 300WM. No sights, of course. Boat-paddles stocks and all. I have a Boyd's grey laminate for the '06 that really spruces it up.

I hemmed and hawed about getting an RSP in 338WM, but never did, and now regret it. The RPs are nice, but the RSPs are very nice. New England Custom Gun (NECG) has lots of variations of front sight beads if your elevation adjustments are not to par (sometimes happened) and they ship to Canada (and do it quite fast).

Someone else may know what year the boat-paddle stock retired. You could get these with the "normal" sort of synthetic stock Ruger uses in the latter years of production.

Only bolt-action Ruger made that has fancier metal is the old RSM.

P.S. If you are comfortable doing it, and it hasn't been done yet, the factory trigger can be made FAR smoother and lighter with minimal effort.

Last edited by Steve07; 09-08-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve07 View Post
Ruger M77 MkII RSP. Built like that from 1991 I think (was about when the Mk II came out?) until about '05. The Hawkeyes came out in '06 or so.

I have 2 RPs, a 30-06 and a 300WM. No sights, of course. Boat-paddles stocks and all. I have a Boyd's grey laminate for the '06 that really spruces it up.

I hemmed and hawed about getting an RSP in 338WM, but never did, and now regret it. The RPs are nice, but the RSPs are very nice. New England Custom Gun (NECG) has lots of variations of front sight beads if your elevation adjustments are not to par (sometimes happened) and they ship to Canada (and do it quite fast).

Someone else may know what year the boat-paddle stock retired. You could get these with the "normal" sort of synthetic stock Ruger uses in the latter years of production.

Only bolt-action Ruger made that has fancier metal is the old RSM.

P.S. If you are comfortable doing it, and it hasn't been done yet, the factory trigger can be made FAR smoother and lighter with minimal effort.
Thank you very much for this post. Much appreciated.

I was out today playing with the rifle sights testing the rifle for function. And at 100 meters I drilled the 4 inch circle inside an 10 inch circle 3 times ......on two attempts....with the irons. I was very impress with the irons. But this gun is getting a scope. lol

Old 09-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Darn rights.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 PM

Congrats, ABB! Looking at your gun brings back lots of good memories. That was the first brand new rifle I ever bought and I shot a lot of game with it over the years I had her before I sold it to a Hutterite in Manitoba sight unseen. Something about them reaks "solid," which I think is why you find so many of them beaten up. Those irons are pretty wild looking too; kind of like a Delorean car from the 80s. If Batman carried a rifle, yours would be the one

I found mine kicked like an angry mule, but in .270 it won't be that bad, and you could always try your hand at a grind to fit Pachmayr, as the recoil pad IIRC is useless.

However, I would take that gun straight to Rod Hendrickson and get a trigger job. Even though yours seems to be okay, he can make it real nice for about $75.

Other than that, enjoy your new gun. It's great to get something you have wanted for a long time.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

I found mine kicked like an angry mule, but in .270 it won't be that bad.
Yes, it kicked like an angry kitten, but I can handle and dont mind recoil. It was a pleasure to shoot. The trigger is not bad, but i think I may replace it. or maybe try the diagram provided.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:48 PM

...also got a tip from another forum member about the part number foor the PreFit Limbsaver recoil pads for this stock.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
...also got a tip from another forum member about the part number foor the PreFit Limbsaver recoil pads for this stock.
Order it!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Congrats, ABB! Looking at your gun brings back lots of good memories. That was the first brand new rifle I ever bought and I shot a lot of game with it over the years I had her before I sold it to a Hutterite in Manitoba sight unseen. Something about them reaks "solid," which I think is why you find so many of them beaten up. Those irons are pretty wild looking too; kind of like a Delorean car from the 80s. If Batman carried a rifle, yours would be the one

I found mine kicked like an angry mule, but in .270 it won't be that bad, and you could always try your hand at a grind to fit Pachmayr, as the recoil pad IIRC is useless.

However, I would take that gun straight to Rod Hendrickson and get a trigger job. Even though yours seems to be okay, he can make it real nice for about $75.

Other than that, enjoy your new gun. It's great to get something you have wanted for a long time.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
The trigger is not bad, but i think I may replace it. or maybe try the diagram provided.
It's up to you, but with a gunsmith in town who can do your trigger for less than $100, and the options of a Riflebasix or a Timney for less than $130, IMO you would be crazy to monkey with that trigger yourself.

I saw that diagram when I still had my gun and it never crossed my mind to fool around with that. Too dangerous for me, but maybe you are a machinist or something like that, and can do that stuff easily. I ain't.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
It's up to you, but with a gunsmith in town who can do your trigger for less than $100, and the options of a Riflebasix or a Timney for less than $130, IMO you would be crazy to monkey with that trigger yourself.

I saw that diagram when I still had my gun and it never crossed my mind to fool around with that. Too dangerous for me, but maybe you are a machinist or something like that, and can do that stuff easily. I ain't.
I think ill take your advice... got a number for this guy? feel free to PM me