Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-22-2009, 10:42 PM

Default draw length question

I have never owned much less shot a compound bow. I am very tall and have long arms. I was measured up a few years ago at a bow shop and was told I need a draw length of approx. 32.5-33".

The longest draw I've ever seen advertised is 31" or so.

What options does a guy like me have in trying to find a bow to fit properly? Are there any "contraptions" out there to accomodate someone with freakishly long arms??

Oh, to make things even more interesting- I'm a lefty...

bigd
Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 PM

have your draw length double checked just to make sure..

There are bows with modles or cams that can surpass the 31" mark. They will have to be ordered in through a bow shop.

Anothere option you have is have a 31" draw set up and us a stringloop with a trigger release a string loop can increase your length up at and possbily more then an 1"
Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 PM

I have a long draw length (31") and ive seen a few bows with dl's up to 32". Go to a bow shop, get measured, and then ask them what your options are.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post
have your draw length double checked just to make sure..

There are bows with modles or cams that can surpass the 31" mark. They will have to be ordered in through a bow shop.

Anothere option you have is have a 31" draw set up and us a stringloop with a trigger release a string loop can increase your length up at and possbily more then an 1"
putting on a loop does not change your draw length it changes your anchor point. If putting on a shorter or longer D loop made the bow change draw length all the companies could save money with out making the mods to change draw length. If the mods on the bow go to 31 inches it is a 31 inch draw length no matter how long of loop you put on. Martin makes a couple bows that are 32 inches but most this long are special order and will take a few weeks to get in
Old 04-23-2009, 06:37 AM

Darton also has a really long one and I believe the PSE Dream Season goes to 32" and I think that's without having to buy mods.

I agree with Trav, changing loop length is a very good way to correct your anchor point and a very bad way to fix your draw length. The v of the string needs to be over your centre of gravity for the best stability.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
putting on a loop does not change your draw length it changes your anchor point. If putting on a shorter or longer D loop made the bow change draw length all the companies could save money with out making the mods to change draw length. If the mods on the bow go to 31 inches it is a 31 inch draw length no matter how long of loop you put on. Martin makes a couple bows that are 32 inches but most this long are special order and will take a few weeks to get in
But if your anchor point moves back by an inch it is virtually the same as having a longer draw length. You just don't need longer arrows. For all practical purposes a loop will increase the draw length (as far as fitting a bow to a tall person is concerned).
Old 04-23-2009, 08:27 AM

Here we go again Trav.

Yes you're changing the anchor point, NO you're not changing the draw length. For the umpteenth time, the string needs to be on the centreline of your body. It vastly improves accuracy and stability.

I know this is a tough concept to follow, but trust me it pays big dividends.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Here we go again Trav.

Yes you're changing the anchor point, NO you're not changing the draw length. For the umpteenth time, the string needs to be on the centreline of your body. It vastly improves accuracy and stability.

I know this is a tough concept to follow, but trust me it pays big dividends.
Word. Russ speaks the truth.

Bigd extend your arms to your sides (DO not stretch them out! Pretend like you are about to give somone a big bearhug) and have somebody measure how many inches from fingertip to fingertip. When you get that number you can divide it by 2.5
This will give you a rough estimate of what your draw length should be. Post the number I want to see what you get.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:36 PM

80.5" tip to tip (part orangutan). Works out to a bit over 32" using that formula.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:04 PM

Well I know Sherwood Park Archery Lanes had a PSE Dream Season in stock last week and I'm fairly sure they adjust to those long arms of yours.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 PM

Default PSE Dream Season LD

Quote:
Well I know Sherwood Park Archery Lanes had a PSE Dream Season in stock last week and I'm fairly sure they adjust to those long arms of yours.
Yes, Russ you are right about the Dream Season, although it is the LD model. The normal model only goes to 31".
Old 04-23-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
80.5" tip to tip (part orangutan). Works out to a bit over 32" using that formula.
Wow buddy. Are you like 7 feet tall??
No worries. You can most likely find something although your choices are somewhat limited.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:55 AM

I believe Ross also makes a 37" Carnivore that goes to 32" draw length.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeo View Post
Wow buddy. Are you like 7 feet tall??
No worries. You can most likely find something although your choices are somewhat limited.
Well I'm 5'10 or 5'11" and 30.5" I'm shooting short right now @ 30.25" and when I go into archery stores to try bows and I ask for them to let the bow out to 30" they keep telling no you'll be a 29". So I draw the bow, fully extend and then look at the sales person and say "are you sure about that?"
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 AM

Sorry to hijack thread

Russ If a said person did have a longer draw length does that mean more arrow speed?

IE a bows peak speed say is 300 fps (ibo). so taking into account the arrow weight for the longer draw and all, would that archer have a faster arrow with an increase of say 3 " draw length?

AL
Old 04-24-2009, 09:13 AM

Al,

There is a gain, I'm not sure how much though. WCTbowtech can probably give you a number. This be good topic for a new thread.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Al,

There is a gain, I'm not sure how much though. WCTbowtech can probably give you a number. This be good topic for a new thread.
Yep I agree

AL
Old 04-24-2009, 02:26 PM

My father was just down with his new PSE X-force LD. It is a very fast bow, and he is setup with a 32". It is a very ignorant bow to pull through the draw cycle, but it is a speed bow, and is more than acceptable for the performance you get out of it. We had it set at 63lbs and 410gr arrows were flinging at 300fps out of it. It has a very forgiving brace height also.
I haven't seen the Ross or the Martin but Bowtech has the Sniper that pulls out to 32" and would likely have a much smoother draw, and also has nearly 8" of brace height, which would likely be a bit more forgiving for the new archer.
A good Canadian company to look at would be APA Innovations and the Mamba XL. These are really good bows and this one also has 32" of draw length. The MX1 is one of the fastest bows I have ever shot, with no hand shock and very quite. The XL is tamer on the speed (if you think 320+ is tame) but also has a near 8" brace height. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Mamba is just about 3" taller axle to axle, but shouldn't be a big deal if you are taller fella.
I have a 31" draw length and usually prefer 30" DL bows. I find I have more mobility in the field, but need to watch my form or accuracy suffers. If you like a bow that has a max of 31" it can be worked with. A good archery shop with knowledgeable staff can make all the difference for you.
Ask some of the fellas up north were to go and if they'll go shooting with you.
russ seems like an old school shooter, with a great grasp of the geometry involved; see if you can entice him into the big city for a beer and bow shopping.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Well I'm 5'10 or 5'11" and 30.5" I'm shooting short right now @ 30.25" and when I go into archery stores to try bows and I ask for them to let the bow out to 30" they keep telling no you'll be a 29". So I draw the bow, fully extend and then look at the sales person and say "are you sure about that?"
I'm 6'4" and when I bought my first bow (a browning toronado) the guy behind the counter at WSS (he was a "pro-circuit shooter") did the whole package up, arrows and everything, for a 28" draw after he "measured" me and everything. I couldn't hit a barn with it. I went to my buddy at Russells, he laughed, remeasured, let the draw out to 30.5" and cut some new arrows. It was night and day.
To this day though almost every shop I go into and look at something, everyone thinks I need a couple yards of DL, and I usually get the answer "we don't have anything that'll fit you here".
There was a guy that shot at the Calgary Archery Center that was about 5'8" who shot the same DL as I did. I'm pretty sure he could drive from the back seat, too.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:51 PM

great info guys. Thanks. What kind of prices would I be looking at for some of these 32" capable bows?
Old 04-25-2009, 12:37 PM

I believe you are in the $699 (Ross?) to the $1050 range (PSE). The APA and Bowtech are likely $950ish. These are the type of bows you by and shoot for a couple years though.
Good luck!
Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 PM

Default 33"

I got my draw length measured today at WSS, ended up at 33". The fellas behind the bow counter then checked for possible bows with a 32"- 33" draw. They came up with a few options such as PSE, Martin and one or two others. Prices, however, started in the $900 range. Then I told them I was a lefty and they all just laughed at me...not a good sign.

They ended up advising that I call Sherwood Park Archery ??? and that they might have more options for me at better prices.

Any ideas? Anyone out there with a LH 32" + draw bow for sale??

bigd
Old 04-25-2009, 04:41 PM

33" draw.. dang....
Old 04-25-2009, 08:15 PM

80.5" jesus i bet you kicked ass at the monkey bars
Old 04-25-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
i got my draw length measured today at wss, ended up at 33". The fellas behind the bow counter then checked for possible bows with a 32"- 33" draw. They came up with a few options such as pse, martin and one or two others. Prices, however, started in the $900 range. Then i told them i was a lefty and they all just laughed at me...not a good sign.

They ended up advising that i call sherwood park archery ??? And that they might have more options for me at better prices.

Any ideas? Anyone out there with a lh 32" + draw bow for sale??

Bigd

spal = 780-464-0017
Old 04-25-2009, 10:50 PM

I would likely get someone more "professional" than the guys at Wholesale to measure my DL before I lose hope. I don't know the WSS guys up in Edm., but the ones down here inspire no confidence. I know for a fact that the PSE X force GX LD comes in LH to 33" so you have hope.
Good luck.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:44 AM

Default Do some reading

Just google it but the way they measured my 12 yr old daughter for draw length was with an arrow marked in 1 inch increments (Yardstick) and placed it at her adams apple and between her outstretched arms in front of her. She was 27". But it does sound like you have a long reach. As well there are a lot of for sale archery columns mentioned on line here in this forum and maybe just surf them for a few days.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:28 AM

that's exactly how I was measured at WSS