Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-18-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Browning model # ?

Goodday all,
Hopefully someone can help me with this
On page 24 of Oct.2007 Alberta Outdoorsman, there is a picture at the top of a browning semi auto 22 rifle. Could someone please tell me what model it is and what years they were made.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:15 PM

Default browning 22

Those BAR 22 rifles were manufactured in the early 1980's by Browning when the English-style straight grip stock was popular. There were some pretty nice 20 gauge pump and semi-auto shotguns made by Browning in that era with that style of stock also that I wish I would have bought back then. The fact Browning had those rifles farmed out and manufactured in Japan has not reflected poorly on their quality, as Weatherby Vangaurd rifles are also good quality rifles made by Howa in Japan. That rifle in the photo is the oldest gun in my cabinet and still spits out lead amazingly fast and trouble free to boot. The stock and forearm have a few beauty marks on them which only adds character to the gun. But I may have to rebarrel soon as those 40 grain chunks of lead seem to wobble down the old, pitted barrel to many different points of impact lately. I don't know when Browning quit making that style of semi-auto 22, but if you can get your hands on one don't hesitate to buy it.
I'm sure the new style Brownings work just as well, they just don't look as good.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 PM

Default browning 22

Those BAR 22 rifles were manufactured in the early 1980's by Browning when the English-style straight grip stock was popular. There were some pretty nice 20 gauge pump and semi-auto shotguns made by Browning in that era with that style of stock also that I wish I would have bought back then. The fact Browning had those rifles farmed out and manufactured in Japan has not reflected poorly on their quality, as Weatherby Vangaurd rifles are also good quality rifles made by Howa in Japan. That rifle in the photo is one of the oldest guns in my cabinet and still spits out lead amazingly fast and trouble free to boot. The stock and forearm have a few beauty marks on them which only adds character to the gun. But I may have to rebarrel soon as those 40 grain chunks of lead seem to wobble down the old, pitted barrel to many different points of impact lately. I don't know when Browning quit making that style of semi-auto 22, but if you can get your hands on one don't hesitate to buy it.
I'm sure the new style Brownings work just as well, they just don't look as good.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the reply wayne. I spent a lot of time searching online and came up empty. Now I can proceed to finding one to purchase.