Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-04-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Kimber Rifles

Where can I go and look at Kimber rifles in Alberta. I am interested in the Montana. Are they good or bad?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:43 PM

I've never seen one for sale in AB... Maybe Wholesale?

I think they are great rifles, but have heard a horror story or 2 about defects, poor functioning as such. Not to mention the fact that they don't honour their warranty on guns sold in Canada.

Ellwood Epps (www.ellwoodepps.com) had a few and can order you one if you so desire. I'd really like to get my hands on a Montana one day, just not sure what caliber I need...
Old 11-04-2007, 02:06 PM

The Shooting Edge in Calgary stocks them.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:08 PM

http://www.theshootingedge.com/product-info.php
heres there site
Old 11-04-2007, 02:40 PM

I handled a classic in Wholesale Edmonton over the summer. Not too likely that they'll have a Montana in stock though.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF View Post
The Shooting Edge in Calgary stocks them.
Do these guys actually stock them or do they just list every single item in the manufacturers catalog ( a la Wholesale )???
Old 11-04-2007, 02:57 PM

I am pretty sure P&D in Edmonton stocks Kimbers.
www.p-d-ent.com

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 11-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned

I have very thoroughly examined about 15 of them, including about 4-5 Montanas in both .308 based calibers and WSMs; I was very excited by them based on what I heard, but, friends in the US who bought them warned me to be careful, so, I waited and checked them out.

Based on what I have seen, I would not have one as a gift and the store here in Vancouver that DID stock them will not do so now. The Montanas that I checked out were very rough, had craters around the firing pin hole in the bolt face and they also "fed"very poorly, even the later post-15,000 supposedly improved ones.

I would buy a Sako 85 in a WSM inn that price range as it is, IMO, a FAR better rifle. I am a die-hard CRF man, based on a number of experiences, however, the Mauser extractor and Newton ejector used in the Kimber action MUST be properly finished and tuned to be what it was designed to be.

MOST of these "special" relatively high dollar rifles made during the past 20 years have had issues, Dakotas are notorious for this and I had to send mine back to the makers TWICE and THEN change out the extractor for a P-64 before it would function as it was intended to....this is NOT uncommon, btw.

So, I would avoid the Kimbers, there ARE better alternatives available.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:53 PM

Check out Bashaw Sports current special page

http://www.bashawsports.com/specials.htm
Old 11-04-2007, 05:23 PM

Thumbs down

Save yourself the frustration and stay away from Kimber...better off with pretty much anything else out there.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:17 PM

Kimbers are fine rifles. There is alot of mis-information out there. It's kind of like the cow that you hear about being shot when you ask a farmer for permission and are denied. That farmer didn't have a cow shot, doesn't know the person who had a cow shot, but he heard about it 5 years ago, and it is his excuse for denying permission.

I found my Kimber to be very tight when new. It took some time for it to smooth up or wear in. The bolt was not sloppy like a Remington.

It seems that Kimbers have become a favorite whipping boy for some people who either beleive that no rifle after the pre 64 Winchester is worthy, or anything more than a Savage or Remington SPS is a waste of money.

To get a rifle as accurate and as light as a Kimber, you have to spend the money for a custom. While pricey, the Kimber is a relatively good value compared to a custom. The Sako is a nice rifle, but it's stock is still not very attractive to my eye. Put an aftermarket stock on it, and you are already up to low end custom prices.

Shooting Edge has Kimbers. Wholesale in Calgary is stocking them. P&D gets theirs from the Shooting Edge I believe. Didn't know that Bashaw had them.

I would give Kimbers a try.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:01 PM

I second what AB2506 said!

I own a Kimber 8400 Montana in 270 WSM and am very happy with it. I will admit to polishing the feed rails and ramp as it didn't feed smooth initially but that was all it took to cycle shells perfectly. I also had the bedding trued up to my liking and it currently will shoot reloads at just under 1/2 MOA.

Bottom line: I think their product is excellent however their quality control is lacking when you are paying higher than average price for a production rifle.

As far as a lightweight all-weather mountain rifle it is tough to beat.

I considered the Sako Finnlight at the time I brought my Kimber however they are hardly a light rifle in comparison.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Banned

I would suggest calling Italian Sports here in Vancouver and asking them about their experiences with Kimbers, especially Montanas; they WERE VERY enthusiastic UNTIL so many started coming back. They always seem to have "as new" Kimbers on their used racks and that says something to me.

But, each to his own, I also have seen a LOT of negative comment on these on 24Hr.Campfire and at least one thread per week seems to detail the woes of Kimber owners.

I think the CONCEPT is superb, but, they just do not seem to be able to get the quality control right, at least on the ones I have seen. I won't buy a rifle with a noticeable "burn ring"around the firing pin hole, or, one that wil not feed smoothly or one with cockeyed mounting screw holes, a frequent problem with late production Mod. 70s, for example.

Right now, many rifles are being produced with poor QC and WE end up paying for this the hard way. I don't care for the stocks on the Sako 85 synthetics, either, they look ugly as Jean Chretien to me, BUT, LOOK at the quality of the fit and finish of the metal...does Kimber compare?

I don't mind spending hard-earned $$$ on a rifle, BUT, I DO mind paying serious coin for something that is not what it is advertised to be. Again, each to his own.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:05 PM

Also FYI, I purchased mine at the Shooting Edge in Calgary before Wholesale started carrying them and I am pretty sure they are a fair bit cheaper at Wholesale. Last I heard Wholesale wasn't getting a new shipment of Kimbers until February and they have a limited stock right now. My friend is looking at buying a 7mm-08 in the Montana...
Old 11-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Gone Hunting

The negative comments suprise me. I have heard and read nothing but good things about Kimbers and have thought about getting one in 7mm08.

Robin in Rocky
Old 11-04-2007, 08:10 PM

Angry

Well my personal experience was not so good, being a past Kimber owner...I was the one that had problems with my rifle and called Kimber directly and they told me too bad no warranty in Canada...it was my problem!

The issue was when you cocked the gun, put the safety into the second position, pulled the trigger and then flicked the safety off the gun fired...ya real safe and this is my problem??? The smith said it was due to poor manufacturing. My hunting partner had a Kimber as well and his safety stuck off and you couldn't even move it...I guess this is Kimber quality at it's best.

If you do some searching on other sites you will find that there are alot more guys who have experienced this fine Kimber service...like getting letters from them telling the customer not to send this gun back again after a problem with it.

Its been known as Kimber Roulette and you are taking a chance when you buy one and just hope you don't end up with one of their hack jobs.

Second rate company pedaling a second rate product.

Last edited by harv3589; 11-04-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Used 7-08 Montana

Duffy, Last time I was at the Shooting Edge, they had a used 7-08 Montana on the used rack with Talley lightweight bases/rings on it. If interested, check it out.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Kimbers

Kimbers,
The shooting Edge, P&D, and SIR all carry Kimber product lines.
Kimber is a well put together gun.

Mike
Old 11-09-2007, 06:31 PM

Kimber is a love them/ hate them rifle. I own a Montana and don't know what side of the fence to be on!

Mine shoots tight and is great semi custom rifle.
Nice trigger,
Factory pillar bedded,
Synthetic stock with soft recoil pad,
24" stainless barrel.
CRF
7lbs 6oz fully dressed

Mine will not feed a round once in a while and the factory figures the feed rails need to be polished, but I think the problem is there is nothing holding the mag spring from sliding in the blind magazine. They do not have a repair rep in Canada so as far as warranty we are screwed.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:24 PM

Pud at BASHAW SPORTS has them IN STOCK!!
The ones that I know one them like them very much.
We just bought one ( along with a desert warrior in 45ACP and a Bennelli Super black Eagle 2) for our Christmas raffle.
Cat
Old 11-09-2007, 07:26 PM

I got a kimber 84M in 7-08 a couple months ago. Feeds fine, everything works as it should, nice handling light little rifle. It shoots nothing well so far, my records says it has fired 252 rounds and it groups consistently around 2+" @ 100 yds. Still working up loads.

Last edited by Bushrat; 11-17-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Mine will not feed a round once in a while and the factory figures the feed rails need to be polished, but I think the problem is there is nothing holding the mag spring from sliding in the blind magazine. They do not have a repair rep in Canada so as far as warranty we are screwed.
Jethro - My Kimber had the same problem and they told me the same thing... I ended up getting some very fine wet/dry and paper and polishing the feed rails and ramp... It worked wonders along with cyclying some dud rounds. It is too bad they don't have a higher standard of quality control because after a quick polish it feeds perfectly.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:24 PM

Cat where do we get tickets for that rafle
Old 11-10-2007, 11:13 AM

X2 on the tickets cat!

archdlx
Old 11-10-2007, 11:22 AM

I will add more info as soon as I get the official lisence done up.
Pud didn't have the quote at closing last night, but faxed it to my office so I'll have to go check today.

I'm also waiting for a few days for permission to adverise it on the board here, but I think adnminstrator must be off hunting!
We are set up for EMT and electronic receipts will be supplied.
Did it last year with a different board and it worked well!

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-10-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:14 PM

backcountry in reddeer has them. i ve held them and i love them cant wait maybe ill ask for a grad present!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Kimbers are ok

I ended up with a kimber 84 Classic and after putting a bushnell 3-12 on it I shot about 300 gophers with it, and a stray tomcat or two. All in all a very classy and accurate 22 which I will get a pile of use from and hopefully hand down a generation or two.

Once in a while when shooting it this summer I thought, what If I had a matching pair of Kimbers in Classic mode. I sat on the idea all summer and when I canola hit 10$/bushel I said this may happen once in a lifetime, and I just happened to be visiting Bashaw sports on business/snooping and spied a 270 WSM 8400 Classic in the shelf. I was able to liberate it from there at a fair price( 1st owner was asking about a good divorce lawyer! )

It had about 40 rounds through it and after cleaning it and putting together a load of 61.5 gr 4350 and 130 gr sierra Bt. I hit my range behind the house and shot this 4 shot group.Top shot is clean barrel,

My loading of 60 gr 4350 and the 140 gr TSX was decent,

but I need to do some fine tuning to use this bullet, as 130 gr Sierra is hardly a good choice on an elk Hunt.

I find the 270WSM recoil in the light kimber very gentle, loading is very straightforward, and sofar this is a great addition to my battery and fits the area I hunt, and the hunting style I use. I hope I can get the TSX to group better and any suggestions are welcomed.
So now I have a decent matched pair of Rifles

Old 11-17-2007, 12:32 PM

Over on another website, there's a fair bit of negative press pertaining to Kimber rifles. Most of it centering on quality issues. Haven't owned one myself nor personally know anyone who has or does.

Battleriver, matching rifles do have a special appeal all their own. My compliments on yours.

Bobby B.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
Over on another website, there's a fair bit of negative press pertaining to Kimber rifles. Most of it centering on quality issues. Haven't owned one myself nor personally know anyone who has or does. Bobby B.
Well Bob you know me and I have one Everywhere kimber rifles are discussed there is lots of controversy and almost as many happy owners as there are unhappy ones. I really like everything about mine except how it shoots. Have had it out to the range a couple times since I posted previous in this thread and out of 20 more 3 shot groups (I like to shoot 5 shot groups but when 3 stretch to nearly 6" I think its pointless to shoot the other 2) I managed to get one group under 2" the rest stretched from 2" to over 5". Its going to get re-bedded and re crowned next. They use a slave action for their bedding and their bedding and pillars looks flawless but if the slave action is not the same contour as the barrelled action used then there will be problems. According to many discussions on these rifles re-bedding seems to help the bad shooting ones come around. Examining mine you can see where it is contacting in two spots and not touching otherwise. taking the action screws out and looking with a light through the pillars you can see they are not centered up with the screw holes in the receiver and the action screws are binding on the pillars. In their advertising they say match chamber and barrel but looking through the borescope its plain to see (at least on mine)that it is a run of the mill factory barrel with inclusions in the steel, tool marks etc. The biggest giveaway is that they advertise that their barrels are air guaged to .001 tolerance, thats a heck of a big tolerance for a rifle barrel. A match barrels tolerance should be no more than .0001" or .0002" to be considered match. I guess if one dosen't know any better their advertising might sound pretty good.

Here's a pic of mine. Have since re-scoped it with a proven leupold but didn't help

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-17-2007, 05:21 PM

Bushrat, if I know you, it must be by some other name besides the moniker Bushrat. Sooooo, do want to tell me who you are and where I know you from?

Bobby B.