Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Rifles and warranties.

Hi all,

Anyone have any experience with sending a firearm back to the manufacturer on warranty? My particular issue is that my Savage model 12 .308 shoots consistent 1.5 to 2 MOA with every load and bullet type I've tried (and I've spent alot of time and money trying to get something that works). Useable but not what I'd expect from a company that prides itself on excellent "out of the box" accuracy.

I had to pass on a head/neck shot (body was behind a hill) on a beautiful buck this weekend because I just couldn't guarantee that the bullet would hit the target. Hindsight says I would have been alright (he was probably 60 or 70 yds away but I ended up just staring at him through the scope until he ran away. Needless to say I'm a bit choked (would have been my first deer). Although I know I made the right decision (risky enough shot even if you trust your equipment.

I need to know if I go through the place I bought it (Wholesale...guuuugh) or do I go directly to the manufacturer? Any idea how bad the hassle/expense/paperwork is for this?

Help.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:29 AM
sheephunter

Boy, I seriously doubt that you'll see any type of warranty work on a rifle that shoots 1.5 inches. You hear a lot of talk on these boards about sub one inch rifles but I'd be willing to bet that a good percentage of out of the box rifles are more like 1.5 inch shooters. No doubt there are a few exceptions but that is pretty good accuracy from a low priced factory rifle.

Just out of curiosity, what type of rests are you shooting off of to check your groups. Very few shooters are actually skilled enough off a bench to get the maximum performance out of their rifle and I'd include myself in that group. It doesn't take much human error to turn a 1" shooter into a 1.5" shooter.

It sounds like you made the right decision in turning down a poor shot but don't think you can blame the rifle. Under field conditions I'll guarantee you aren't shooting 1" groups even with a 1" rifle.

Last edited by sheephunter; 11-19-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 AM

My situation was a little different than yours, but I had to return two different pistols for repair through Wholesale Sports. It was hassle free as far as any paperwork goes, but my complaint is how long it took... in both cases more than 3 months.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:50 AM

thanks for the quick responses guys.

Sheep, I suspect you are right. It really is hard to wade through all the "information" on the web without getting stuck on the posts of the sub MOA gang. Maybe it is just a matter of being happy with what I've got. I was pretty willing to lug a heavy rifle through the bush if I could snipe with it. I guess I'll just have to go buy another (lighter) one eh?

I suspect they would be well within their right to send it back and say there is nothing wrong with it.

As far as my shooting abilities... I try to shoot off the bench supported on a heavy sand bag. I've shot consistent 0.5" at 100yds with other rifles and similar scopes (10x fixed). So, I'm pretty sure I'm not the limiting factor (at the bench at least).

Oh well, I guess I've got another year to practice.

But I can still see him in the cross hairs. Man, it really sucks having that doubtful thought.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 AM
sheephunter

Have you tried going to heavier bullets? Usually if a rifle is a consistent shooter...even if that is 1.5", playing with loads can help a bit. I appreciate the fact that you've tried lots and that is expensive a frustrating but somewhere out there, there may be that magic 1" load. I've done extensive testing on factory ammo for a few projects and if there is one ammo that can deliver consistency, it's Federal Premium. The Trophy Bonded Bearclaw is always my starting point but sadly they don't make a 180grain for the .308. I say keep experiementing.......

Last edited by sheephunter; 11-19-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 AM

I started with 180 gr. bullets (Hornady SST) with a variety of loads (mild to hot, Varget and RL-15) as I was intending to use this rifle on moose and elk. They were horrible. Like 3 inch plus groups. It totally blew me away.

Switched to 150 gr. (Sierra gameking, Hornady AMAX and interbonds) and they are better (the AMAX are actually very good so maybe it isn't the rifle).

I've read that TSX bullets are very accurate (for hunting bullets) but I really don't know if I can justify the cost of load development using them (anyone got a few lying around they don't want anymore?). I might just get some core-lokt bulk bullets for next year. Should probably try 165 gr.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:01 AM
sheephunter

Try a box of Federal Premium 165 gr. Trophy Bonded Bearclaw.....my experience says it's the most universally accurate bullet there is...if there is such thing...lol
Old 11-19-2007, 11:26 AM

I'll start saving for a box
Old 11-19-2007, 11:30 AM
sheephunter

LOL...ya they aren't cheap but they seem to be that one benchmark load that 80 or 90 percent of rifles shoot very well.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:35 AM

Try this combo:
- FIRST OF ALL DO A BEDDING TO THE STOCK, AND BARELL free FLOATED.

- SECOND - TRIGER JOB TO 2LB.

- third:

150/180gr Retumbo or H1000 powder.
DO NOT USE RL-15 (are temp sensitive)
with rem primer / federal primer.
Sometine just changing the primer can - shoot a better group.
- go off land from 0.10 up 0.30 in increment of 0.03.

Usually all rifles (80-90%) after bedding and triger job shoot under MOA group.
If this ones not help you have to go to a gunsmith to recrown your barell.

chris
Old 11-19-2007, 12:04 PM
lurch

Last edited by lurch; 01-22-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:58 PM

I got a new stock (Choate varmint) and it is a pig but it helped a bit. I've got the action bedded in that stock but it did very little (I was a bit surprised). The trigger is an accutrigger set to min (2.5 lbs I think) and it is very crisp and clean (I like it alot). I suspect the powder change will be worth a try. I'm a bit surprised I didn't get great results with varget (so many people say it shoots well in their rifle).

Anyways, I've got all winter to play around.

While I eat vegetables
Old 11-19-2007, 02:31 PM

You might want to try Accubond bullets-they are very accurate in every rifle I own.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:14 PM

Default glass bed and free float

I took an old german 270 WBY Mark V with the skinny barrel which grouped 5-6 inch groups at best down to 3/8 of an inch by hollowing out the fore arm area then glass bedding the tang and recoil lug area to 1.5 inches down the barrel (20 bucks for glass bed kit). You'll probably have to forget about the warranty however on a new gun, but then again some guns just won't ever shoot tight groups consistently (unless you buy a model 700 remington of course ). To get a gun to shoot even better a friend of mine took a model 700 bdl in 338 win, had the bolt lugs lapped, tuned the trigger,added a muzzle break, stuck it in a cheesy stock remington 700 plastic stock, gun shoots 1/2 inch at 200 yards all day long with 225 hornady's makes a great gopher gun .
Old 11-21-2007, 11:17 AM

You say this is a new gun, so I'm assuming the scope might be new as well. Is it? The problem could be with the scope. Scopes can be lemons or go bad suddenly and there really is no way to tell other than on the target.

If you have access to another scopes (one that has proven itself) you might want to try a scope swap and see what that does to what is now you best load.

triggerpress
Old 11-21-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300rum View Post

150/180gr Retumbo or H1000 powder.
DO NOT USE RL-15 (are temp sensitive)
I hardly think H1000 or Retumbo will yeild any sort of real world performance in a 308 Winchester.
Varget, 4064, RL15, 4077SC, or even 4895.
BTW: RL15 is the powder that Allient is providing for the US military Match/Sniper ammo.
I too feel that you will get the cold shoulder trying to send the rifle back for warranty.
Get the trigger done, or do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined, all you need to do is an internet search.
Also consider a bedding job, and having it re crowned.

There are no absolutes