Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-19-2007, 02:39 PM

Default To free float or not?

I have read a lot of conflicting info over the last while…

Is it worth free floating the barrel on a 700 ADL 243 and a 700 BDL SS 7mm with out changing stocks and barrels? Is it worth the effort on a factory Remington? Will I gain any significant change in accuracy?

cohod
Old 11-19-2007, 02:44 PM

I just did my 270Ti and 30-06 Ti and both shoot fantastic 3 shot groups now. Before I did the 270 it shot consistent 2" groups and now it is 3/4" or better. However, the 700Ti's do come with a better stock than the ADL and BDL synthetics.
My $0.02
Old 11-19-2007, 03:38 PM

It might be worth the effort, it might not be. What size of groups are they shooting now? Most factory rifles will shoot 1"-1.5" five shot groups at 100 yds providing the shooter does their part.

You can readily free float the barrel simply by removing the forend pressure point with some sandpaper. If the rifle groups better free floated than before, great, if not, then a new pressure point can be added.

All my rifles are glass bedded and free floated. I prefer avoiding any POI change due to the enfluence of wood against the barrel.

Bobby B.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohod View Post
I have read a lot of conflicting info over the last while…

Is it worth free floating the barrel on a 700 ADL 243 and a 700 BDL SS 7mm with out changing stocks and barrels? Is it worth the effort on a factory Remington? Will I gain any significant change in accuracy?

cohod
If you are shooting under 1 inch three shot groups its probably not worth it, if you are not get out the sanding paper and float the barrels. You can always add a pressure point later on with glass bed if you have to, it's no big deal. If you have standard weight barrels on those rifles I think you can only gain by floating them (just be careful and don't create a permanently locked rifle to stock, that glassbed makes a real fine mirror image of the barrelled action when you set the action in. That sticky chit will ooze into some places you'll regret if you don't fill with modelling clay, looks awsome if done right and it don't take much skill, soon you'll be looking for another to glass bed (o ya, make sure you remove the trigger before bedding it!!!!). Make sure you"re newly floating stock doesn't bend upwards and touch the barrel while holding it in shooting position as this defeats the purpose of free float, you don't want that stock touching the barrel at all.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the replys.

cohod