Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-15-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Barrel length vs long range accuracy

Anyone know of hard info on barrel length vs long range accuracy? Am debating between 2 300 winmags, a 24" barrel vs a 26" barrel. I know with cannons and tanks it makes a huge difference, but not sure if 2" in a 300 would matter much.
thanks.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:35 PM
sheephunter

You will see a bit of difference in performance but they are soooooooooooo many more things come into play that effects accuracy before 2" of barrel will.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:39 PM
stubblejumper

Barrel length is not a significant factor where accuracy is concerned.If it was,all benchrest shooters would use the longest barrel possible.Some use barrels that are actually quite short by comparison.All other factors being equal,a longer barrel will however produce more velocity.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:50 PM

As a general rule, accuracy potential is more related to barrel stiffness than to barrel length. The accuracy potential between a 24" compared to a 26" barrel of identical contours on a hunting rifle is much less of a factor than is barrel quality. The underlying factors determining barrel length for a hunting rifle are focused more on the slightly lighter weight and slightly easier manipulation of a shorter barreled rifle vs the slightly greater velocity a longer barrel will produce and its slight advantage in muzzlejump. For all practical purposes, purchase one or the other of the rifles for other factors besides accuracy potential based on barrel length. If these rifles are fitted with factory tubes, any accuracy potential difference for them is insignificant.

The above are general guidelines intended to answer a simple question and certainly are not a in depth consideration of all the variables involved.

Bobby B.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
Barrel length is not a significant factor where accuracy is concerned.If it was,all benchrest shooters would use the longest barrel possible.Some use barrels that are actually quite short by comparison.All other factors being equal,a longer barrel will however produce more velocity.

on the contrary... the shorter the barrel the stiffer it is thus the more accurate. this is why many bench guns wear 20-24" barrels. speed is another part, longer=faster..if you load to maximize the extra length. with all that being said.. on a hunting rifle the extra 2" is not a concern. gets you a little extra speed, and if nothing else it is a pain the ***** getting in and out of the truck. just my 2 cents
Old 11-15-2007, 08:19 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
on the contrary... the shorter the barrel the stiffer it is thus the more accurate. this is why many bench guns wear 20-24" barrels.
Yet 1000 yard shooters generally use barrels that are longer than is common on hunting rifles.Either long or short barrels can be very accurate.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 PM

Barrel length for a hunting rifle as far as accuracy goes? 2" will not be seen.
The big difference in long barrels and target rifles come into play in long range competition, for iron sighted rifles and scoped rifles for 1,000 matches, it gives you a longer sighting radius, and a bit more velocity .
This Palma match rifle has a 27" barrel, and is shot out to 900 maters.

This open F class rig has a 30" , untapered barrel to utilize the most out of the weight allowed.
The long barel helps keep things stable , and gets the most velocity out of the little 6mmBR cartridge
For

On a hunting rifle, the barrel length has more to do with balance than anything IMHO.
The two rifles pictured below are made for different applications, the one I am holding was made specifically for long range deer hunting with a 6.5WSM cartridge and a 30" barrel , and the one my son is holding was built for shorter ranges for varmints and deer with a 24" barrel in 6.5X284.
The smaller rifle weighs 10 pounds all up, but the 30" gun is a heavyweight at 12.5 pounds - you don't carry it far!

This "any sight " match rifle has a 30" barrel for stablilty and for the long sight radius when using irons.
it is competative all the way out to 1 mile, and the long barrel helps the 300WSM 210 grain match bullets stay super sonic for a long time.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:41 PM

And this switch barrel unit is what I use when i can't decide which length barrel I want to use

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-15-2007, 09:14 PM

Interesting Paint work, B rat!
I think I like it, and it's even synthetic!
cat
Old 11-15-2007, 09:21 PM

When talking of a cartridge like the 300WM I would tend to stick with the 26" barrel.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:39 AM

Go with the 24", like stated before, there are many other factors to consider for Accuracy than bbl. length.

I wouldnt have a bbl. longer than 24" on anything other than LR shooters such as the STW's, RUM's etc. My 7mmSTW has a 26" tube, and I find it to be a hinderence packing it around, although if I carried it enough, I likely could adapt.

To each their own though.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:33 AM

Bushrat who makes that unit, or is custom made? What calibers are the barrels for ?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:52 PM

Hi Pinhead, neat handle you got there, feel like I'm calling you names The action is a Stolle Teddy made by Kelbys in the US, they make custom actions for benchrest though they can be used for whatever you want, that action has been discontinued for a number of years, they make other models. Stock is a Lee Six, finished, painted and bedded by myself. One of the barrels is a Krieger chambered in 6br Norma, no turn neck, the other 2 barrels are 6PPC .263" neck, ones a Hart, other is a Lilja, also have a Gaillard I use on it in 6PPC. Use it mostly for benchrest shooting.